PDA

View Full Version : IDEA: Ubuntionary, the Ubuntu dictionary! t help beginners and everyone else.

stoodleysnow
January 17th, 2008, 10:34 PM
How about we have a thread containing dictionary style definitions of words that pop up often, but we can't expect beginners/n00bs to understand? Some more experienced users might learn something from this too.

As an example:
Ubuntu: n A free, open-source operating system built around the Linux Kernel and using entirely free software wherever possible. Developed by people around the world, the concept for this particular Distribution began with multi-millionaire Mark Shuttleworth. It is now a well advanced OS and a new version is released every 6 months. Canonical is Ubuntu's commercial sponsor and provides support to paying customers. Ubuntu is available for free download from www.ubuntu.com and has free active user community support at ubuntuforums.org. a An African (Zulu?) word meaning 'I am who I am because of who we all are' and 'Humanity to others'.

Other things we could define here are Linux commands and free programs, with descriptions of what each one is/does. Having it all in one thread will mean people don't have to hop to a different site to find out what they've been asked to do to fix problem x, or what jargon y means.

Good idea?If so, please add more definitions :)

mattismyname
January 18th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Isn't the Ubuntu wiki already a superset of that? If there's some term you would want in the Ubuntionary, just make sure a wiki page for it exists.

bodhi.zazen
January 18th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I like the idea, but advise you to use a wiki format or blog so you can keep it organized.

Moved to the Cafe as this is not a request for support.