PDA

View Full Version : Mini Operating System

pijits
January 17th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I've been wanting to put an operating system on my flash drive for some time now (mainly because I'm sick of using Windows at my school) but i'm a bit concerned about space issues and if Ubuntu would be too big for it? Its a 2Gb

Any suggestions on what OS I should use?

Thanks

Methuselah
January 17th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Not sure what your goals are but google

FreeNAS

and

Minix

FuturePilot
January 17th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I would try Pendrive Linux or Puppy Linux.

shad0w_walker
January 17th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Have a look at DSL. 50Mb so there is lots of space for other things as well.

Pandemic187
January 17th, 2008, 07:14 AM
DOUBLE EDIT: I wouldn't use something called Pendrive Linux just because it's called that. It's a FLASH DRIVE, damnit!

smartboyathome
January 17th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I would say if you don't mind having 560-70mb taken up, you could put Xubuntu with LivePersistance.

p_quarles
January 17th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Have a look at DSL. 50Mb so there is lots of space for other things as well.
+1. DSL is both incredibly fast in a live environment and relatively full-featured.

allforcarrie
January 17th, 2008, 07:54 AM
+1. DSL is both incredibly fast in a live environment and relatively full-featured.

I vote for DSL also. you can make ubuntu on a pen drive.

wolfen69
January 17th, 2008, 07:56 AM
put gutsy on a flash drive: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28/usb-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-install/ the install is persistant, meaning it will save any changes. i did it on a 4gb drive. it's pretty cool. works great.

kerry_s
January 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM
i vote for dsl to-> http://damnsmalllinux.org/
if you got enough ram, you can load it from flash to ram, there is nothing faster than your built in ram. in fact you can use a cd if you want and just use your flash for storage. you can load it from cd to ram, then remove the cd.

Ebuntor
January 17th, 2008, 08:59 AM
put gutsy on a flash drive: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28/usb-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-install/ the install is persistant, meaning it will save any changes. i did it on a 4gb drive. it's pretty cool. works great.

I've used that walkthrough successfully several times. You say the install is "persistent" but when I install it I just end up with a livecd session and an extra partition where I can store files etc. But my settings and installed apps aren't saved.

Is that livecd session with an extra partition what you call a "persistent" install or am I doing something wrong?

PetePete
January 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM
i read somewhere that you have to be careful when running linux from a pendrive as if it causes too many writes to the flash drive it will seriously reduce its life span (flash mem has certain number of writes possible before death)

think dsl and puppy have features which only write to drive at end of session to reduce this.

Chilli Bob
January 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Yeah, make sure the distro you use is optimised for flash drives to minimise writes, or your drive will wear out very fast. I recommend Puppy as it only writes to the stick about every 30mins, and then at shutdown.

malangaman
January 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
DSL would not find all the hardware for me. Puppy works great out of the box. I vote Puppy Linux.

svasanth
January 17th, 2008, 12:24 PM
try zenwalk

pijits
January 17th, 2008, 02:45 PM
DSL it is. Thanks guys this really helps =D>

smartboyathome
January 17th, 2008, 04:22 PM
i read somewhere that you have to be careful when running linux from a pendrive as if it causes too many writes to the flash drive it will seriously reduce its life span (flash mem has certain number of writes possible before death)

think dsl and puppy have features which only write to drive at end of session to reduce this.

I had used Xubuntu on my 1GB USB drive, and it didn't cause any problems (I still use it today). It was heavily used before, too.

pijits
January 17th, 2008, 06:54 PM
that actually sounds like a not bad idea. How much room does Xubuntu take up tho?

Ultra Magnus
January 17th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Knoppix is really good on a flash drive

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM
dsl also lets you run it embedded meaning you can run it inside windows, incase the place where you are using it wont let you boot into your distro you can still run it inside windows.

smartboyathome
January 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM
that actually sounds like a not bad idea. How much room does Xubuntu take up tho?

It took up around 600 mbs on my drive. (though it was customized)

pijits
January 17th, 2008, 11:48 PM
It took up around 600 mbs on my drive. (though it was customized)

Good to know, Thanks