PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia 8700 w/ OpenGL Application is Choppy - Why?

jeremy.oakes
January 17th, 2008, 04:08 AM
When I try to run my OpenGL application in full screen resolution of 1920x1200 the updates are very choppy.

I am running a Dell XPS M1730 with Dual Nvidia 8700. I installed the latest nvidia drivers using envy. I expect that I shouldn't have any issues running my openGL app.

Should I be using some special nvidia libraries to offload the openGl calls to the Gpu? Or Is this handled my the OS automagically?

I'm compiling against the -lglut library.

I would also like to note that I'm running dual core machine and bothe processors are pegged when I'm running my app. Cpu1 is pegged 100% with my applcation, and Cpu2 is pegged at about 95-97% with Xorg.

Any help is much appreciated!

luisromangz
January 17th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Are other apps that use opengl affected by this? Maybe is a defect in your code...

And well, about special nvidia libraries to offload the opengl calls to the GPU, eerrr, they are provided by the driver, you know.

jeremy.oakes
January 17th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Fixed - There was a loop in the code causing the system to suffer.

*LO*Dman
May 17th, 2008, 03:34 PM
hello there i have the same laptop as you the XPS M1730 I am new to ubuntu thoguth I would check it out I do not knowh ow to do anythign can you help me the biggest resolution I can get is like 640x cometing where o I get the ubuntu drivers if you could respond to my email that would be good storyderrick@gmail.com