PDA

View Full Version : Help me Stay with Ubuntu!

orb9220
January 16th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I need people to find wrongs with my arguments of why I can't stay with ubuntu 100% of the time. If you know where I am lacking in info,knowledge,etc,,, Give me the lowdown so I can find ways to get things done.

Below was posted in a thread How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Thanks!

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?
Ive tried to stay Ubuntu I started with Dapper then edgy then fiesty and gave up for awhile why?

1) wine was buggy at that point and crashing dvdshrink. Yes there is K9,K3b,etc...But have not found any to be as powerful and feature ladden as windows programs period.

And for some reason K3b would only burn at 4x on my 16x burners Liteon,Nec with 16x media.

I also used winAvi which was a great converter for avi,mpegs,mov, to DVD format and back again. Ubuntu nada nothing unless I want to run half-dozen programs with cryptic flags and hope it works. There may now be something new or upgraded but what I have seen has not impressed me. I would even pay for any program that was on par with window programs.

Video editing I am sorry but that is a joke on a Linux box. Yes movie industry have dedicated linux boxes with their own closed source software that cost a fortune. And I have tried what is availiable and they are lacking and buggy programs like kino,etc...

The other is Graphics I am sorry but Gimp sucks I don't care that it can kinda get the job done with raw files or how powerful it is. It's User Interface sucks plain and simple and It is in no way designed with photographer's in mind.

Yes there are programs like F-spot,gthubs viewer,digiKam,Krita,etc... I have tried them all and found them still in their infancy. Until Linux has programs as powerful as Winavi,dvdshrink,dvdecrypter,ACDSee,Photoshop,Ligh troom, and freeware like xnview,fastone imageviewer,Paint.net, and a large number of other programs with powerful gui and features sets that I can use then sorry the linux equivalents don't even come close.

Now I love Ubuntu and I love some of the great programs that are done. But for graphics and video it is still years behind windows.

And that is why I can't go 100% Ubuntu. Would love to I spent a whole year evaluating it and there was alot to love. But there where also alot to hate. Updates breaking things on a regualar basis, Cryptic commands for getting something done because there was no GUI available.

The constant mantra the terminal is so much faster and powerful and yes it is but not for older people that start to have problems getting their fingers to type on the keyboard and having to remember cryptic commands? I don't think so!

I had to have a text file on the desktop collecting all those alien chicken scratches but if I have to open the file and look up the command then exactly how fast is the terminal?

Maybe you youngsters with that fresh brain can retain all that but when you pass the half-century mark the brain starts to forget and slow on recalling info.

Now Ubuntu is my favorite Lady, I am obsessed with her and want be with her. I just can't live with her 100% of the time.

Linuxratty
January 16th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Then duel boot or use a virtual box.
I just use Linux...I'm happy with it and I have no compelling reason to go back to Windows...

orb9220
January 16th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I do Dual boot at the present time. But then what is the point of that. For gamers there is a reason when they play games, For me I want to do what I do in Ubuntu but can't.

jrusso2
January 16th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I still do all my media decoding, recoding, and burning on Windows XP I have not found as good of applications for it on Linux.

Linuxratty
January 16th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Well,when I was duel booting,the reason I did it was because i felt safer on line with Linux (still do).
I duel booted so I could sometimes play a game or two I liked,., In the end, even when I duel booted...99% of my time was spent in Linux,using Linux apps and surfing the net with Linux.
I now have a second hand laptop with XP on it...And it's the same thing..I might open the laptop once a week for an hour as it's used mainly to watch DVD's and view content I can't view in Linux, like from Discovery.com.
For me,Microsoft's OS is for games and video...That's it.
After using Linux for over two years,I've grown quite fond of it quite frankly.
I prefer the Linux way now of downloading apps and I like the eye candy KDE offers... I like Linux way more than Microsoft.
XP was the last Windows OS I ever bought and that was years ago.
Would I ever use Vista?
No way.
But it's up to you what OS you use and why you use it.
if Windows is the best tool for you that gets the job done,than more power to ya.
For me,it's always going to be Linux.

clong83
January 16th, 2008, 11:01 PM
For converting/editing movie files, there's ffmpeg which is pretty useful, but can be tricky, and yes, it is command line only (as far as I know). I also do much video and graphic editing for my work, and I find Ubuntu is more difficult than windows for that sort of stuff. I've stuck with it for the sake of continuity and not restarting my computer all the time. (there's also tons of stuff I do that is FAR easier in Ubuntu...) I've found ways to make it work, but there's no compelling reason not to use windows (or OS X) over Ubuntu if it's easier for you. Just dual boot and use Windows when you need to until Ubuntu catches up with what you need to do.

Incense
January 16th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I do Dual boot at the present time. But then what is the point of that. For gamers there is a reason when they play games, For me I want to do what I do in Ubuntu but can't.

If you can't, then you can't. Use windows if it works better for you. You said in your post that the applications are not doing what you want them to do, yet windows seems to have everything you want. You can always run ubuntu in a VM until the apps reach a level that is of use to you. Linux is not for everyone. At the end of the day, we can't help you do something that you can't do right?

yuriry
January 16th, 2008, 11:04 PM

maniacmusician
January 16th, 2008, 11:19 PM
If you can't, then you can't. Use windows if it works better for you. You said in your post that the applications are not doing what you want them to do, yet windows seems to have everything you want. You can always run ubuntu in a VM until the apps reach a level that is of use to you. Linux is not for everyone. At the end of the day, we can't help you do something that you can't do right?
ditto

K.Mandla
January 17th, 2008, 12:43 AM
+1. Until Linux magically does what you want, or you're willing to get your hands dirty and make it work for you (and by that I mean at the code level), Windows is a better idea.

The Linux philosophy is ‘laugh in the face of danger.’ Oops. Wrong one. ‘Do it yourself.’ That’s it.

billgoldberg
January 17th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Some thoughts.

For converting files there is winff. It converts almost anything and is fast. (not in repositories) To convert avi's to dvd I use Mandvd. It blows anything windows has out of orbit.
I don't know what dvdshrink is, but for ripping dvd's there is always the great dvd:rip, the repositories are loaded with other dvd rippers.

For video editing I use avidemux, it's not like I need to edit whole movies on it. It gets the job done. There is professional software I think, why not buy it? You mention photoshop (extremely expensive) but you won't buy an video editor?

For photo managment there is googles picasa. Wich has an ubuntu installer if i'm not mistaken.

The photoshop argument is only valid if you used photoshop before you used the gimp. I did and switching to the gimp was hard, but I couldn't go back to photoshop again. It feels to massive to handle. (and older photoshop versions work on wine, unless you are a professional (and even then) you don't need the latest version to get the job done). And you could always use gimpshop, it gives a better UI for the gimp.

K3b is without a doubt the best burning software available. Quick and easy UI.

Since vlc is on linux, videos are just as good as on any other platform.

Audio players like amarok, exaile are on par with the best windows and osx have to offer. But songbird is the single greatest audio player I've ever used.

9/10 things you do in the terminal can be done with the gui. The terminal is just faster for SOME things.

It seems like you can't let go of your windows software. Too bad for you.

Dual boot or virtualisation are an option.

buntunub
January 17th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I need people to find wrongs with my arguments of why I can't stay with ubuntu 100% of the time.
Thanks!

Why? If your addicted to Microsoft and their way of doing things then stick with them. They will love you for the money you needlessly throw their way!

Linuxratty
January 17th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Why? If your addicted to Microsoft and their way of doing things then stick with them. They will love you for the money you needlessly throw their way!

They would indeed...And just think of all the new and nasty infections that will be coming your way...Nothing like discovering something really viral on your PC to get that adrenalin rush,no?

ubuntu-freak
January 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I've recently written a how-to you will find useful. Most of it is just a matter of cut and paste.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=661833

Even encrytped DVD's should work afterwards.

Nathan

Thewilloffreedom
January 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
what i found funny about this is the fact that when the linux environment started been popular the motto was " from programmers to programmers" and it is also free. I am not a programmer myself but problems will arise to the point where you wont be able to do something. That is because the people that support linux take their free time to do it and microsoft gets millions to get some app to look pretty. I honestly have changed to ubuntu for good and will stay that way. It works my brain to figure some stuff out sometimes, but you know what they say: "if you dont use it, you lose it" -- :lolflag:

Cheers,

regomodo
January 19th, 2008, 07:13 PM
@orb9220

i agree with almost all of your issues. I have to use XP a lot as there are just no Linux alternatives that compare. I wont repeat them again but they involve media, cad, and engineering.

I've tried and i've tried to use Linux 100% for all my needs but it is impossible and i have a depressing feeling that it'll stay this way.

jleaker01z
January 19th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I have to agree with the DVD creation process. Linux lags far behind Windows in that regard. I use transcode, ffmpeg, and dvdauthor to create dvd videos, but I cant make menus etc that way and its all done from the command line. It just makes a dvd that when you stick in a player it just goes straight to playing the movie. Luckily thats good enough for me, but I would like to see a better GUI than is currently available for Linux.

As for photoshop, have you checked out Pixel? Here is a good article on it with a link to their main page: http://everlong-design.com/design/pixel-a-photoshop-alternative/