PDA

View Full Version : KDE users, back up your claims.

JaggedOne
January 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Everyone always argues Gnome vs KDE. I know its personal preference and I really don't care which one is better. However I often see KDE users make claims like "KDE is more customizable" and "once you theme KDE right it looks amazing".

I want to see some evidence for these claims. Please tell me what it is exactly that you can customize in KDE that can not be done in Gnome. Show me screen shots of those beautifully themed KDE desktops.

Back up your words with hard evidence KDE users. ;)

sumguy231
January 16th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evidence? Here's my screenshot:
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8445/formalwearscreen25xs7.th.png (http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=formalwearscreen25xs7.png)
I haven't used Gnome enough to say if it can't do anything shown in this screenshot, but maybe you could decide for yourself.

Of course, I didn't make those claims in the first place, but I still think my desktop is pretty nice. And I think Gnome is nice too. Why can't we all get along?

aysiu
January 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I suggest you start off by reading this thread:
Is KDE really more customizable than Gnome? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=500796)

RudolfMDLT
January 16th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I'm not running KDE at the moment - I couldn't get Compiz to run on it - but in KDE you have a GUI to configure transparent Menus and Windows. Also you can have a seperate background for every workspace. Also, pressing the 3rd mouse button or button1 and button2 gives you a menu to quickly unclutter the desktop. Thats just off my head. Browese through the kde kontrol panel VS the gnome control panel and see for yourself! :)

sunexplodes
January 16th, 2008, 09:30 PM
This is my current KDE desktop.

I'm not entirely sure that KDE is MORE customizable than Gnome, but there certainly are more GUI options for configuration. In terms of your visual theme, you can customize pretty much every colour, every gradient on every button, slider, progressbar, etc, as well as define different fonts/sizes for various different interface areas.

And this is one of many examples. KDE's settings dialog IS far more extensive than that of Gnome, which makes it harder for me to use Gnome when I attempt to go back.

Due to the smaller level of customizablity though, GTK themes are often much nicer to look at by default, whereas KDE themes are given a basic default appearance which is then left to the user to tweak and customize.

smartboyathome
January 16th, 2008, 09:37 PM
GNOME can be pretty customizable too if you are willing to edit text files, but for GUI editing KDE is more customizable (though some aspects of KDE take more customizing than others, like the menus).

maniacmusician
January 16th, 2008, 09:50 PM
This is my current KDE desktop.

I'm not entirely sure that KDE is MORE customizable than Gnome, but there certainly are more GUI options for configuration. In terms of your visual theme, you can customize pretty much every colour, every gradient on every button, slider, progressbar, etc, as well as define different fonts/sizes for various different interface areas.

And this is one of many examples. KDE's settings dialog IS far more extensive than that of Gnome, which makes it harder for me to use Gnome when I attempt to go back.

Due to the smaller level of customizablity though, GTK themes are often much nicer to look at by default, whereas KDE themes are given a basic default appearance which is then left to the user to tweak and customize.
Nice one...so you're using Domino. I was never able to get it to look that good. What window decorations do you have? and the dock at the bottom?

sunexplodes
January 16th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Window decorations are AXONKOLOR for Emerald, the "dock" is actually just desktop icons.

maniacmusician
January 16th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Window decorations are AXONKOLOR for Emerald, the "dock" is actually just desktop icons.
brilliant and beautiful. Thanks.

Lostincyberspace
January 17th, 2008, 12:48 AM
brilliant and beautiful. Thanks.
and simple.

maniacmusician
January 17th, 2008, 05:09 PM
and simple.
Quite. One of my gripes with Kubuntu has always been the themes they included by default. I mean, there are so many in there that just look awful. I could easily see removing some of the outdated ones (and perhaps leaving them in the repos for people that liked them), and adding newer, better themes. Domino has gotten a lot better since the last time I tried it, and I think it's definitely worth including over Platinum, or MS Windows 9x, or SGI...the list goes on.

sunexplodes
January 17th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I don't think the themes themselves are awful looking, just the default settings FOR those themes. One of the big differences between gnome and kde is that KDE has WAY fewer themes, but the ones they have can be customized much further than a GTK theme.

Like, in Gnome (at least in ubuntu), you start out with a standard Human theme which I would say is ugly as sin, then you switch to some decent murrine or clearlooks-based theme, usually. In KDE, you (if i recall correctly), you start with Plastik, which has ugly defaults, but you can configure it (in combination with kde color schemes) to be really nice. Generally KDE will just give you basic defaults and the tools to make something nice.

I think it's pretty rare that very few people stick with the default theme in Ubuntu, so why should Kubuntu be judged by its default theme?

maniacmusician
January 18th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I don't think the themes themselves are awful looking, just the default settings FOR those themes. One of the big differences between gnome and kde is that KDE has WAY fewer themes, but the ones they have can be customized much further than a GTK theme.

Like, in Gnome (at least in ubuntu), you start out with a standard Human theme which I would say is ugly as sin, then you switch to some decent murrine or clearlooks-based theme, usually. In KDE, you (if i recall correctly), you start with Plastik, which has ugly defaults, but you can configure it (in combination with kde color schemes) to be really nice. Generally KDE will just give you basic defaults and the tools to make something nice.

I think it's pretty rare that very few people stick with the default theme in Ubuntu, so why should Kubuntu be judged by its default theme?
Well, given the fact that its harder to fiddle around to get exactly the kind of theme you want, I feel like it's justifiable to say that Kubunto should have better theme engines with better defaults. I would have to fiddle for ages to get a decent Plastik theme, but Polyester looks fairly decent to begin with, so I have to mess around a lot less. Just because I can fiddle around and customize a theme doesn't necessarily mean that a distro shouldn't have better looking defaults. That's a really bad excuse, IMHO.

sunexplodes
January 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Yeah, but I could say the same about Ubuntu defaults and how the "Human" theme is butt ugly. Because it is. And always has been.

maniacmusician
January 18th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Yeah, but I could say the same about Ubuntu defaults and how the "Human" theme is butt ugly. Because it is. And always has been.
Why are you comparing it to Ubuntu? I rarely use it, and when I do, I don't bother changing the theme, because it's always for a brief amount of time. We were talking about KDE and Kubuntu, which really shouldn't be including outdated and rarely used themes as part of their default installation. This holds true regardless of whatever Ubuntu or any other distro is doing.

sunexplodes
January 18th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Yeah, fair enough. But the problem's essentially been solved. KDE has been in it's current (3.5) form for quite some time with very little more than bugfix changes, so it's understandable that the theme hasn't changed much and is thusly outdated.

KDE4's out now, and the default theme is quite nice.