PDA

View Full Version : the thing

uzybear
January 16th, 2008, 01:22 PM
don't forget the thing: the reason why linux is so important; the thing is that we can't have a corporation in control of the operating systems of the world; it ***** stuff up; sure, we can have corporations create programs you pay for, but the OPERATION SYSTEM has a complete lock on what you can and can't do with your computer, and in the hands of one all powerful company, we have already seen what they do to **** other folks over to keep their control

linux isn't important because of how great linux is; linux is important because it is far and away the best open source laptop/desktop OS there is

i know you know this, we know this; but i just want to say: i really truly believe that windows has severely hindered what has been done on PC's

listen, let every god damned other thing be proprietary, an operating system MUST BE OPEN, end of story

kellemes
January 16th, 2008, 01:31 PM
For me a os does not have to be open-source, if unix-based systems like Solaris where open-source they would not play the important role in the enterprise as they do today.

billgoldberg
January 16th, 2008, 01:41 PM
OP: "i know you know this, we know this; but i just want to say: i really truly believe that windows has severely hindered what has been done on PC's"

Windows did more for the pc than everyone else combined.

While windows has been to greedy the last couple of years, without them the computer and with that the internet wouldn't be half as popular as today.

I want to use an open OS, some people don't. There has to be a choice.