PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome VS. KDE

concerto
January 16th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Judging from the threads that I have been reading it looks like you can run KDE on Gnome. I am Running regular Ubuntu so I have Gnome as my current desk top environment.

So If I were to install KDE what benefits would I get besides Lots of blue puffy screens and some extra add on programs? Does KDE do anything super cool/special that I don't know about. It looks like everyone is running it. Why? Should I delete Ubuntu all together and install KUbuntu?

If I want to try KDE is it as easy as going into the Synaptic package manager and clicking on everything that has the words KDE on it?

I am so sorry for all the Questions. You don't have to answer all of them. If you guy know of a website that may have some answers please point me to it. I couldn't find what I was looking for on the KDE home page or Gnome for that matter.

Any suggestions are helpful.
Thank you in advance.
con~

Hallvor
January 16th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Have a look at this:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome

concerto
January 16th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Hey Hallvor . This site looks great. I'm learning allot from it already. Thank you man!

concerto
January 16th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I'll take any other suggestions!!

:) Thanks

ghosTM55
January 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
there is no need to think of this and that before using KDE
just try it
u'll feel the advantage and disadvantage of KDE urself

for me , KDE is better ;-)

Circus-Killer
January 16th, 2008, 09:47 AM
i agree with ghostm55. kde wont bite.
just give it a try. if you like it, use it. if you don't like it, then don't use it.

everything in linux is about personal preferences.
some people like kde, some like gnome.
some like ubuntu, others like opensuse.

not only does this give way to healthy competition, but also gives you the choice to do what you want. dont forget that kde and gnome aren't the only two desktop environments out there. try googling for other desktop environments such as fluxbox.

give them a try and pick one based on your own thoughts and feelings. you're part of the open source world now, you no longer have to base your decisions on other people's decisions. you decide what you truly want, not let others decide for you. :)

concerto
January 16th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I did not know that. thanks Circus-Killer!