PDA

View Full Version : MacBook or Dell XPS 1330-1530

LuisAugusto
January 16th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I will buy a new laptop the next month, and my big options are those I mentioned (I'm open to other ones too).

Here, in Mexico, a MacBook with the next specs it's at 1,850 (or 2,000 in black, WTF) dollars:

-2.2 Intel Core duo
-2 GB of RAM
-13.3 inches screen, 1280 x 800 resolution
-Intel GMA X3100 (Shared 144 MB)
-Super Slot load Combo driver
-120 GB ATA 5,400 rpm
-Mac OS X Leopard

Dell XPS M1330 is at 1,800 dollars with the following specs:

-2.2 Intel Core Duo
-2 GB of RAM
-13.3 inches screen, 1280 x 800 resolution
-Intel GMA X3100
-Slot Load DVD+/-RW
-120 GB SATA 5,400 rpm
-Windows Vista Home Premium

Dell XPS M1530 only costs 1,680 dollars with:

-2.2 Intel Core Duo
-2 GB of RAM
-15.4 inches screen, 1280 x 800 resolution
-NVidia GeForce 8600M GT (256 MB)
-Slot Load DVD+/-RW
-120 GB SATA 5,400 rpm

The first two are very portable, I'm not sure about how portable 1530 is, on the other hand, is quite cheaper, even with a far superior graphic card, I could boosted even more, my budget is around 1,900 dollars, so I have to make use of it at all cost XD.

Thanks in advance for your help.

jeffus_il
January 16th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I would:

Take the cheaper one, the hardware is all very similar.
Try to do a deal without the OS and save some money, then install Ubuntu.
With the change, take my girlfriend out to a good restaurant.

Sammi
January 16th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Only the Dell XPS M1530 for 1,680 $ will do decent 3D as it has a Nvidia graphics card. The other two have Intel - yuck!

But then again, I do love Mac OS X. My next computer might just be a Macobook Pro, as they have Nvidia graphics cards, tripplebooting Ubuntu, Mac OS X, and Win XP.

gn2
January 16th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Just buy the one YOU like best :-)

Also there's the new Mac Air to consider if portability and style are important to you.
http://gizmodo.com/345115/macbook-air-hands+on

Miguel
January 16th, 2008, 10:42 AM
It's easy.

If you need portability, get either the MB or the M1330. I'd personally take the Dell, since it weighs over 0.5kg less than the MBP. The difference in size and weight is well worth the difference in price as long as you travel or move around often.

If you won't be carrying the laptop with you very often, get the M1550. You save 200$, get a bigger screen, a bigger keyboard and a dedicated video card (also an option on the M1330).

BTW: If you get a Dell, try to stay as close as possible to preconfigured options. It will be much cheaper this way... or better specced.

LuisAugusto
January 16th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I didn't like the MacBook Air, it should cost at most 1,499 dollars.

MacBook and 1330 are basely the same, but Leopard is better than Windows Vista, and, the 1530, I don't carry that much my laptop, however, I don't like Windows Vista.

Of course I'm going to double boot it with Ubuntu or other Linux distro, but I'm paying for the OS too, if Vista, I'll may left it to do some casual gaming, if Leopard of course I'll keep it.

LuisAugusto
February 27th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Thanks for your help, Iīm soo glad I didnīt buy the MacBook in february.

Now the new MacBook (Iīll buy it in my birthday in 10 days) costs less, but with an updated penryn 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo and 2 GB of RAM.

(1409 dollars with all taxes and ship)

SunnyRabbiera
February 27th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Me I would go with the macbook as usually those things are well built.
I do like the dell though, but its your choice in the end.

selda
February 27th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I would by Dell, because I have a good experience with their xps line (happy owner of xps 1210). The best thing is that you can now buy xps 1330 with Ubuntu, for a little bit less then with Vista.

kadath
February 27th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Oh god man, get the M1330. It dances all over the Macbook, and it's smaller (more portable!) than the M1530. I'd sell a kidney just to get an M1330!

Sammi
February 27th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Oh god man, get the M1330. It dances all over the Macbook...I'd like to get an in depth explanation with valid arguments of why you believe that.

Arguments for the Mac:

They've got more or less the same specs, but usually Macs perform better than regular PCs in benchmarks, when the specs are equal. Only explanation I've got for this, is that Macs are simply very well built and tested.

+ the Mac PC's hardware has recently been updated.

Miguel
February 27th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I'd like to get an in depth explanation with valid arguments of why you believe that.

Arguments for the Mac:

They've got more or less the same specs, but usually Macs perform better than regular PCs in benchmarks, when the specs are equal. Only explanation I've got for this, is that Macs are simply very well built and tested.

+ the Mac PC's hardware has recently been updated.

The Dell is more than half a kilo lighter. And it has the option of several batteries. And has a LED backlit screen. If you're a gamer, you'll want the nVidia 8400GS. And if you go for the cheapest option, in Spain you get the Dell quite a bit cheaper than the mac... and with Ubuntu preinstalled.

Sammi
February 27th, 2008, 09:03 PM
@Miguel
kadath is advocating the Dell with an Intel graphics card, not Nvidia.

Kernel Sanders
February 27th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Easy decision, the M1330. I've got a top of the line red one, and it goes beyond awesomeness.

It's the best laptop i've ever seen or used. Period.

Miguel
February 27th, 2008, 09:17 PM
@Miguel
kadath is advocating the Dell with an Intel graphics card, not Nvidia.

Oh, well, sorry. I'm at work right now (not for long though!!!!) and jumped a bit too early. In any case, the other advantages persist. I personally haven't seen an M1330 in person, so I can't comment on it's quality, but if the build is comparable (and I fear so), I feel 0.5kg is worth the OS X tradeoff. Maybe it's just me, but on a personal computer I'd rather be comfortable with it than a couple PCmark points. Keep in mind it's a laptop, not a high-performance computing centre.

LuisAugusto
February 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Oh god man, get the M1330. It dances all over the Macbook, and it's smaller (more portable!) than the M1530. I'd sell a kidney just to get an M1330!

But, well. here in Mexico the Dell XPS M1330 with the same specs as the white MacBook will cost a lot more, around 1772 dollars, and with Windows Vista instead of Mac OS X Leopard, the Ubuntu version is as expensive and doesnīt offers me anything extra.

Even in USA the MacBook is a best deal than the XPS M1330, for the same 1299 dollars you get pretty much the same, but the MacBook has a 2.4 Ghz Penryn instead of 2.0 Ghz Santa Rosa I believe.

By the way, I donīt game, so I donīt care about the NVidia Card, which isnīt that good anyway, and it will increase the price, then again the LED screen is optional, and it makes the XPS even more expensive.

What I like more of the XPS is that is less thinner than the MacBook, but that isnīt important enough.

Thanks again gor your suggestions

Sp4cedOut
February 29th, 2008, 11:17 PM
If portability is an issue, I'd get the M1330. If not, get the M1530. Both are far better than the Mac.

LuisAugusto
February 29th, 2008, 11:41 PM
If portability is an issue, I'd get the M1330. If not, get the M1530. Both are far better than the Mac.

Iīm mostly for the white MacBook, but if you could expand your opinion I may change it, Iīm open to suggestions.

As far as I see the Dell XPS M1330 itīs expensive comparing it with the MacBook.

The MacBook for 1,409 dollars comes with:

-Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz (penryn)
-2 GB of RAM 667 Mhz (2 x 1 GB)
-160 GB of HDD (5,400 rpm)
-Bluetooth 2.0
-WiFi 802.11n (AirPort Extreme)
-Intel X3100, 144 MB shared Memory.
-13.3" Glossy display, 1280 x 800
-SuperDrive (8x double layer DVD+/-RW)
-iSight
-Mac OS X Leopard
-2,028 cm3

The Dell XPS M1330 for 1,657 dollas comes with:

-Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz (penryn)
-2 GB of RAM 667 Mhz (2 x 1 GB)
-160 GB of HDD (5,400 rpm)
-Bluetooth
-WiFi 802.11g
-Intel X3100
-13.3" Glossy display 1280 x 800
-DVD+/-RW
-2 MP camera
-2,558 cm3

The XPS M1330 is more expensive, and itīs still lacking Wireless 802.11n, it comes with Vista, and I find OS X Leopard to be quite superior, plus witout the LED Screen (which adds more to XPS price) the MacBook is 20.72% smaller, plus, the MacBook has some very nice design features, as the magnetic case and MagSafe, plus Iīm photographer so I may buy Aperture, which is very affordable, lightroom is quite more expensive, and even if I donīt buy aperture, iPhoto is still good for minor tasks.

As it is right now, I donīt find any advantage in the Dell XPS M1330.

jpittack
March 1st, 2008, 01:04 AM
ubuntu preinstalled dell m1330 is now $50 bucks cheaper, starting price at $899. The Vista version price was raised $50, then put on sale for the same price it was at before.

Since Intel just came out with Wolfdale, I would wait a month or two. Mabye it will have a positive affect on prices. Mabye you will decide you want the newer processor, and get a nice boost in battery life due to it.

The macbook is heavier, and I don't know for sure, but I think it runs warmer (HOT LAP).

If my memory serves me right, the intel graphics cards are blacklist for compiz. That alone could steer you away from the macbook.

I don't know if you added the option of the LED screen, but I hear it is quite amazing. Makes the Dell lighter, thinner, and $150 more expensive.

The only problem with dell m1330 ubuntu is limits on hard drives, and color choices and processors.

Last advice I have. Go with a 2.0 GHz comparison. I think the price for the extra .2 GHz is not worth it. That way you could get nvidia on the dellm1330 for a similar price.

Oh, the mouse pad on the m1330 is kinda of tiny.

Miguel
March 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM
Never, ever, buy a Dell from "starting" configurations unless you are happy with the default specs. It's much better to start from a higher-end configuration.

Regarding the price, in Spain the 2.4 GHz MacBook is 1149€. I can get today a Dell with a 2.4 GHz penryn processor and a wLED screen for 1219€. However, those extra 70€ give me an extra Gb of RAM, a dedicated graphics card and 90 Gb extra space. Of course, I'd be also paying the "revolutionary tax" (Windows) and I'd be getting a dedicated graphics card which you are not really interested in. I'll see what I can get with the Intel.

It seems, in any case, that the price differential varies from country to country. Furthermore, note that 1200€ is basically 1600$, although we do spend euros here as if they were dollars.

EDIT: At a glance, getting the integrated graphics card with the same specs as above is probably much more expensive than getting the nVidia. This sucks. Furthermore, it seems penryn processors are not yet in the "start from 899€" configuration options.

ferdostar
March 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM
Using the white macbook, Core 2 Duo and 2 Gb Ram I can tell that I had any problems with installing and running Ubuntu (with some tweaking off course). You can take a look of this http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook
But in fact it's your choice, because it depends what do you want to do with your notebook.

LuisAugusto
March 1st, 2008, 11:00 PM
ubuntu preinstalled dell m1330 is now $50 bucks cheaper, starting price at $899. The Vista version price was raised $50, then put on sale for the same price it was at before.

Yeah, but I live in Mexico, my situation is different.

Since Intel just came out with Wolfdale, I would wait a month or two. Mabye it will have a positive affect on prices. Mabye you will decide you want the newer processor, and get a nice boost in battery life due to it.

Thatīs a bad idea, because in june there will be new ones too, Intel Centrino Duo 2 if I remember correctly, and 3 months laters after that one there will be another one, and the cycle starts again.

The macbook is heavier, and I don't know for sure, but I think it runs warmer (HOT LAP).

They weight the same without the LED screen. And yes, the MacBook used to run kinda hot, but the new penrys, as far as I have read those last days, erased that problem.

If my memory serves me right, the intel graphics cards are blacklist for compiz. That alone could steer you away from the macbook.

Yes they are, but thereīs a workaround, plus Compiz isnīt that important, is it?

I don't know if you added the option of the LED screen, but I hear it is quite amazing. Makes the Dell lighter, thinner, and $150 more expensive.

Yes, all of that is true, but here in Mexico the XPS M1330 is already at 1,657 dollars without it, for being almost at the level of specs in the white MacBook, so adding that will make it a 1,807 dollars laptop, which is fairly too much, the LED screens are brighter, but I donīt like them too bright, I never use them at the max, because Iīm sensible to light, the good part is that it makes it slimmer and less heavier, but Iīm paying 400 dollars more just for that? Is too much.

The only problem with dell m1330 ubuntu is limits on hard drives, and color choices and processors.

The problem is that once configured the Ubuntu Dell Laptop is more expensive than the Windows Vista one.

Last advice I have. Go with a 2.0 GHz comparison. I think the price for the extra .2 GHz is not worth it. That way you could get nvidia on the dellm1330 for a similar price.

The difference is .4 Ghz no .2 Ghz, and I donīt think that the 2.0 Ghz is a penryn, those new penryns run cooler, so I really preffer one of those. About the NVidia I donīt really care, I donīt game, If I was gamer I wouldnīt be considering the MacBook, I would go with a Windows laptop, and most PhotoShop and Aperture tasks doesnīt use the grpahic card directly so for me is kind of useless, I sincerely preffer the extra .4 Ghz.

Miguel
March 3rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
It seems you are pretty set on the MacBook. Furthermore, currency exchange doesn't favour you mexicans in the Dell vs MacBook issue. So if you like the MacBook, by all means, get it. It's a nice machine.

BTW: You are right, once you configure the Ubuntu M1330 it's much more expensive than Vista M1330... and you can't choose Penryn processors right now.

Sp4cedOut
March 3rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
I'm sorry, I'm still a little confused. Were the prices you posted in the first post the American prices, while the prices on page 2 are the prices in Mexico?

Miguel
March 3rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
I'm sorry, I'm still a little confused. Were the prices you posted in the first post the American prices, while the prices on page 2 are the prices in Mexico?

The prices posted by me are in euros (€). I suppose the prices posted by Luis Augusto are a conversion from Mexican Pesos to US Dollars. The other prices posted here look like extracted from the Dell USA site.

LuisAugusto
March 4th, 2008, 12:16 AM
The prices posted by me are in euros (€). I suppose the prices posted by Luis Augusto are a conversion from Mexican Pesos to US Dollars. The other prices posted here look like extracted from the Dell USA site.

Yes, that was what I did.

Thanks for your support, and yes, Iīll go for the MacBook, their prices are quite better here.

jespdj
March 4th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I have a Dell XPS M1330 (with nVidia graphics, see specs in my signature) and I love it. Ubuntu 7.10 runs great on it. Here where I live (The Netherlands), the Mac is more expensive than a PC with similar specs.

For running Ubuntu it doesn't really matter, since the current Intel MacBooks consist of exactly the same hardware as a regular PC.

Don't get a MacBook Air! It is slow (only 1.6 or 1.8 GHz) and does not even have a CD/DVD drive, and it is way too expensive - you get very little computer for way too much money.

billgoldberg
March 4th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I would go for the 1530.

The hardware is almost identical to the 1330 and it's cheaper.

intense.ego
March 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM
The Macbook because:

+ better specs
+ better looking
+ better performance on the same hardware
+ better customer support

EDIT:
+ OS X Leopard is better than vista

EDIT 2:
+ Its also cheaper for you

Skitalets
March 15th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I just upgraded to the XPS 1330 running Ubuntu from a two year old MacBook Pro running Ubuntu. I've also owned an iBook before the PPC->Intel switch. I'm pretty happy with the move.

A few things about MacBooks/MacBook Pros:

* They are *very* hot. The MBP is especially so, but the MB can get very hot. I got very sick of it over two years -- Apple basically refused to admit the problem right up until the moment it got somewhat better after a firmware update. But Ubuntu can't quite regulate the fan speed correctly, so they still get quite hot running Linux.

* You definitely get what you pay for -- while you pay a premium for Apple hardware, it's pretty well-built and well-designed. The machine is solid and physically very nice to use.

* However, there are some things you don't get for that money. For instance, support. You get one year of hardware support free, but for $500 less than the price of a new MBP, I got my XPS 1330 nicely spec'd out *and* two years of hardware support plus two years of accidental damage from Dell.

* Which is a problem, because Apple hardware frequently fails. In three years of owning my iBook, I went through four logic boards. With my MBP, there were several big problems -- fan failure, broken keyboard, bad pits and scratches in the aluminum finish. If you don't buy the full three years of AppleCare (which is pricy), you're nuts. So add $300 to the price of any Apple computer you buy, or you'll regret it.

* Ubuntu's support for the MacBook and MacBook Pro stinks in some critical places. Everything runs solidly -- until you need to suspend the machine. It doesn't work. And the video drivers for the MBP work nicely with Compiz -- but will occasionally freeze up the machine for 30-60 seconds at a time.

* Finally, Mac OS X is a nice OS, but it is a huge resource hog. OS X with all the software one needs to be productive (Photoshop, iWork, gcc, etc.) takes up maybe 25-30 gigs. That same software with a Ubuntu install takes up 3-4 gigs. I found myself wishing I had all that hard drive space back, which is what led me to wipe the machine and install Ubuntu in the first place.

I'm really happy I bought my 1330. We'll see what issues develop over the next few months, but mostly it's great.

jdong
March 15th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Caution: Do NOT buy the Santa Rosa (latest revision) Macbook or Macbook Pro! Both have switched back to using Broadcom wifi chipsets which are very very badly supported under Linux.

Sammi
March 16th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Caution: Do NOT buy the Santa Rosa (latest revision) Macbook or Macbook Pro! Both have switched back to using Broadcom wifi chipsets which are very very badly supported under Linux.nooooooooooooooooo I was thinking about a buying pro :(

jdong
March 16th, 2008, 08:37 PM
nooooooooooooooooo I was thinking about a buying pro :(

Well I feel pretty bad personally for this one. After my success getting my 3.1 Macbook (AR5008X) running Ubuntu, I recommended two people to get macbooks. To our discontent we found out that they were using Broadcom chipsets. Both of them have since then replaced the wifi cards with either Atheros or Intel mini-PCI cards they bought off e-bay. I don't recommend this strategy as you instantly lose Apple's 1yr warranty.

x0as
March 16th, 2008, 10:37 PM
* They are *very* hot. The MBP is especially so, but the MB can get very hot.

My SR macbook gets warm but never gets too hot to touch.

* However, there are some things you don't get for that money. For instance, support. You get one year of hardware support free, but for $500 less than the price of a new MBP, I got my XPS 1330 nicely spec'd out *and* two years of hardware support plus two years of accidental damage from Dell.

Good luck dealing with Dell when something goes wrong. Dells customer service is terrible.

* Finally, Mac OS X is a nice OS, but it is a huge resource hog. OS X with all the software one needs to be productive (Photoshop, iWork, gcc, etc.) takes up maybe 25-30 gigs. That same software with a Ubuntu install takes up 3-4 gigs. I found myself wishing I had all that hard drive space back, which is what led me to wipe the machine and install Ubuntu in the first place.

A clean Leopard install without the printer drivers & languages ( which most people will never use ) is around 12gb, with all the dev tools I need, iWork & iLife I'm using under 17gb.

I was going to buy a xps1330 but the same spec macbook with a complete care warranty ( not applecare ) was cheaper than the xps1330.

jdong
March 16th, 2008, 11:10 PM
The disk space is not the big problem for me -- OS X applications for some reason are gigantic compared to Linux ones -- Adium (IM client) is close to 50MB and Firefox is over 150MB when unpacked.

I could care less about disk space in this era of standard 100GB+ drives, but I do care about loading time -- OS X on cold boot launch of apps is horrifically slow compared to Linux or even Windows XP, and if you want good application loading times, 2GB+ of RAM and warm standby is almost imperative.

(That being said, RAM is cheap these days and OS X does superbly at waking from standby reliably -- on my Macbook when I used OS X I've been able to accumulate 100+ days of suspend-and-resume uptime)

jdong
March 16th, 2008, 11:16 PM
My SR macbook gets warm but never gets too hot to touch.

Agreed -- the Macbook gets warm, and sometimes annoyingly so if you're sitting it on your lap, but it never gets burning hot. You can use free/open source fan control applets in Linux and OS X to bump up minimum fan speed from 0RPM to control the ambient heat. Macbook SMCs are optimized by default for noise control, not ambient temperature.

Good luck dealing with Dell when something goes wrong. Dells customer service is terrible.

I've bought Dell products and worked at a large institution of all-Dell machines. In my experience, Dell's customer service has been on par with, if not better than, other computer manufacturers. Apple has not given me the best of experiences with my Macbook either, so I think wariness of warranty should be a consideration with all manufacturers.

I was going to buy a xps1330 but the same spec macbook with a complete care warranty ( not applecare ) was cheaper than the xps1330.

I bought a macbook at the time because it had better Linux compatibility than an arbitrary Dell product -- this was BEFORE Dell shipped Ubuntu. Now, my decision will be very different.

One thing about Dell is that their coupon deals are always amazing -- you've gotta wait for a good coupon deal (look online, ask friends who work at places offering Dell discounts, etc) before ordering.

For my case, while Macbooks initially were more financially viable than an equivalent Dell, I did find a coupon that sliced the price nearly in half, at which point it was a landslide victory for Dell, and I convinced myself NOT to buy it simply because of Linux compatibility fears.

x0as
March 16th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Mines mostly used for web development so both the m1330 or macbook would do exactly what I wanted. If the m1330 was cheaper I would have bought that.

I agree the loading times of some apps is a bit slow, but I've found the same as you, standby in OS X works almost perfectly. Mine hasn't been rebooted since I updated to 10.5.2 20 days ago.

We've had no problems with Dells business support in work with servers, but every time I've phoned about a laptop or desktop you get the feeling they will tell you anything just to get you off the phone regardless of if its right or wrong.

Skitalets
March 17th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I've bought Dell products and worked at a large institution of all-Dell machines. In my experience, Dell's customer service has been on par with, if not better than, other computer manufacturers. Apple has not given me the best of experiences with my Macbook either, so I think wariness of warranty should be a consideration with all manufacturers.

Agreed -- I've actually had good experiences with Apple support, but I've heard enough horror stories from enough friends that I know I'm just lucky. Every company's support "sucks" if you're on the receiving end of massive support mistakes -- which happen with every company.

Hopefully I'll wind up lucky with Dell support if anything happens.

One thing about Dell is that their coupon deals are always amazing -- you've gotta wait for a good coupon deal (look online, ask friends who work at places offering Dell discounts, etc) before ordering.

Definitely. I came in about $700 cheaper than MBP and roughly equal to a MB with my 1330, because there was a $250 or $300 off deal. Add in a few hundred for support and the price was right.

Moistdef
June 22nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
I've been going through much deliberation as well as to what my next laptop would be. I am so incredibly indecisive. Originally I was to choose between a high-end Dell XPS 1330 and the high-end black Apple MacBook. I also looked at other laptops such as the ZaReason UltraLapSR, but could not find a lot of information about it. My main requirement is that it have a 13.3" screen.

[As configured by me, in the United States, as of 6/22/08]

A top of the line Dell XPS goes for $1,574.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
4GB DDR2 SDRAM (best option)
320GB SATA HDD (best option)
Dedicated 128MB NVidia GeForce 8400M GS
Upgraded Slim & Light LED Display w/ VGA Webcam

A top of the line black Macbook goes for $1,699

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
4GB DDR SDRAM (best option)
250GB SATA HDD (best option)
Integrated Intel graphics card (only option)

At the moment I have heavily leaning towards the Dell XPS 1330 because of the dedicated graphics card (I'm really looking forward to Starcraft 2!) :)

I do plan to dual-boot Ubuntu and use that as my primary operating system. Hopefully I'll be able to run Starcraft 2 with Wine with minimal problems.

Sammi
June 23rd, 2008, 12:13 AM
@Moisdef

You'll need a dedicated graphics card to do any sort of semi serious gaming. And, although I love Wine and do financially support it by buying CrossOver, if you want to play blockbuster games on their official release date you need to run Windows. Wine development often only catches up a few month after the release, and often it takes a lot longer.

I am personally planning on buying a Macbook Pro so I can get the best of all three worlds, Mac, Linux, and Windows.

bgblanch
September 17th, 2008, 07:07 PM

I just ran the specs on a macbook vs XPS1330 and macbook pro vs XPS1530 and the macbook was ~$300 more and the macbook pro was ~$700 more (I'll post the specs tonight when I get home). The Dell's had bigger hard drives and SSDs available. I did this because I'm looking for a new laptop and wanted to justify buying another macbook. With the difference in price, I just need to figure out whether to go for the 1330 or 1530.

god0fgod
September 17th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Get a MacBook like I am!

Edit: Wait! This is a bit old lol.

jdong
September 17th, 2008, 07:13 PM
WOW you just dug this out of the grave!

sacauntos
October 13th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Hi everybody. I know this thread is a little old although it revived lately.

I'm in the same crossroads as the first poster: I would like to change my old Toshiba Satellite A20 (which has been running ubuntu for three years and it is still working perfectly but for the cd drive and the lack of wi-fi) for a new and portable laptop (12-13 inches), and I would like to request your opinion about the matter.

I narrowed my search to both the dell XPS M1330 and the macbook, but I am open to hear from any other suggestion you may have!

As 10 months have passed since the first post, some things have changed, mainly that dell is offering its 1330 with ubuntu.

Both laptops with the same processor (2.40GHz), RAM, HD, and LED display and a 6 cell battery for the dell are about the same price in Spain, 1080 EUR (maybe Miguel could help me!)

I would be very grateful if someone could hint me to decide:

-It is that complicated to get linux running properly on a mac? Anyone has experienced that?

-Would you go for a lower end processor and save 175 EUR on the way? The only thing I do that needs more processor is some statistics for genetic analysis, but I'm used to it to be sluggish in my toshiba, anyway...

Thanks a lot in advance!

LuisAugusto
October 17th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Well, actually I find that the Macbook is better priced:

Dell XPS M1330 US: 1308 (trying to match Macbook)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1 Ghz 800 Mhz 2MB
3 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 Mhz
NVIDIAŪ GeForce™ 8400M GS
Bluetooth 2.0
250 GB 5,400 RPM

Macbook US: 1299

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz 1066 Mhz 3MB
2 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066 Mhz
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
Bluetooth 2.1
160 GB 5,400 RPM
Gigabit Ethernet, mini-DVi

If you want to spend more (XPS 1609 US to match price and specs with 1,599 Macbook), the differences remain the same, with the exception that you'll get 4 GB of RAM (667 Mhz) with the XPS (vs the same 2 GB), the hard drive size remains being the only true advantage (320 vs 250 GB) (well, techinically, you get 3G capability to with the XPS, but I don't think that offer is available outside USA).

The construction of the Macbook also seems (and probably is) to be superior, you'll get usable software (iLife '08) and, at least in my eyes, a better OS.

danilo024
October 17th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I have one XPS M1330 and that s nice, if you could buy it, i recomend it to you,

Danilo

bigbrovar
October 17th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Well, actually I find that the Macbook is better priced:

Dell XPS M1330 US: 1308 (trying to match Macbook)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1 Ghz 800 Mhz 2MB
3 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 Mhz
NVIDIAŪ GeForce™ 8400M GS
Bluetooth 2.0
250 GB 5,400 RPM

Macbook US: 1299

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz 1066 Mhz 3MB
2 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066 Mhz
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
Bluetooth 2.1
160 GB 5,400 RPM
Gigabit Ethernet, mini-DVi

If you want to spend more (XPS 1609 US to match price and specs with 1,599 Macbook), the differences remain the same, with the exception that you'll get 4 GB of RAM (667 Mhz) with the XPS (vs the same 2 GB), the hard drive size remains being the only true advantage (320 vs 250 GB) (well, techinically, you get 3G capability to with the XPS, but I don't think that offer is available outside USA).

The construction of the Macbook also seems (and probably is) to be superior, you'll get usable software (iLife '08) and, at least in my eyes, a better OS.

says who the dell ubuntu is way cheaper than the macbook and comes with a better specs

XPS M1330N IntelŪ Core™ 2 Duo T5850 (2.16GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Operating System Ubuntu 8.04 with DVD Playback
System Color Tuxedo Black
Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
LCD and Camera Standard Display with 2.0 Megapixel Webcam
Video Card IntelŪ Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Hard Drives Speed: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) with Free Fall Sensor
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Combo or DVD+RW Drive CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Sound Options High Definition Audio 2.0
Wireless Networking IntelŪ 3945 802.11a/g Mini-card
Primary Battery 37Whr Lithium Ion Battery (4 cell)
Hardware Support Services 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Fingerprint Reader Biometric Fingerprint Reader
Camera Panel Standard LCD with Tuxedo Black Casing and Camera XPS M1330
Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dydwtu1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=segtopic~linux_3x

all this would cost you TOTAL:$1,049.00 which you can beat down even futher with this coupon HTZ3M4ZMBGB9LJ (valid till the 23 of this month)
the above specs is the default configuration which can be changed e.g when i ordered mine .. i added a bluetooth module + $20 and changed the 4 cell batt to 6 cell. which added $50 (am not sure). if you are a gamer u can change the default graphic card to Nvidia . in all everything should be under $1150 if you add the coupon. i should be getting mine in less than 4 hours. can hardly wait

opothehippo
October 17th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Oh my god you idiot get the 1330. It is so good looking, way better then the cheap apple design. I have th 1530, and it looks nice, although I do wish I had gotten the 1330.

Plus you can get the 1330 preloaded with 8.04 and with 4GB of RAM for around 1,300.

Please get the 1330. It will make me happy to know someone else is happy.

And Dell support is very good.

jespdj
October 17th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I have th 1530, and it looks nice, although I do wish I had gotten the 1330.
I had the 1330, but sold it, one of my main issues with it was that I found the screen resolution (1280 x 800) too low - I couldn't comfortably fit some programs (like the Eclipse IDE) on it (well, I'm also spoiled by my 24-inch 1920 x 1200 screen on my desktop PC).

I bought the 1530 instead with 1680 x 1050 screen and I love it. And better yet, the 1530 cost much less than what I had paid for the 1330 and has better specs (faster processor, twice the memory, twice the harddisk size, better graphics).

The new MacBooks that have just been introduced do look very tempting, but they are still more expensive than a regular PC with similar specs. If you want to run Ubuntu as your main OS, I don't see the point in getting a Mac, unless you like the design of the Mac so much that you're willing to pay for it.

bigbrovar
October 17th, 2008, 10:17 AM
my dell xps 1330 was delivered 30 min ago .. its the most beautiful thing i have ever seen ... after my missus of cause :lolflag:

sacauntos
October 17th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks everybody for your opinions.

As you can see, I have the gift of opportunity and I asked you about macbooks just 2 days before they changed their line of laptops #-o (as you see, not an irrational apple fan here...)

I have also seen that we don't have the same configuration options from country to country, as in Spain we can't get the 320Gb HD (max 200Gb) or the T5850 processor (the closest is T5100 @ 2GHz or T8100 @ 2.1 GHz).

Anyway, a nice configuration rendering T8100 processor, 4Gb of RAM, 200 Gb HD@7200 and LED backlit display (what do you think about those screens??) is 1064 EUR.

New macbook is 1080 EUR; old macbook boosted to 4GB of RAM and a 160 GB HD is 1083 EUR.

It is not really a price issue here as you can see. Besides, Spanish government is issuing a 0% rate credit for young people to buy computer equipment (that's why I'm planning on spending that indecent sum in a laptop!)

I really appreciate your comments. Dell laptops look good, but my decision would rely in such things reliability, as macs are "finished" products, meaning that as they don't have many things to configure they are well tested and it all works ok when put together (I have heard about dells heating up a little too much and screens failing, but to be true, I heard the same about macs!).

Thanks again, there's this thing about ubuntu, its community, that makes a good OS better!

sacauntos
October 17th, 2008, 10:42 AM
my dell xps 1330 was delivered 30 min ago .. its the most beautiful thing i have ever seen ... after my missus of cause :lolflag:

Congrats! enjoy it, and if you have the time to post your impressions it would be great!

LuisAugusto
October 17th, 2008, 05:25 PM
says who the dell ubuntu is way cheaper than the macbook and comes with a better specs

XPS M1330N IntelŪ Core™ 2 Duo T5850 (2.16GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)The Macbook processor is superior
Operating System Ubuntu 8.04 with DVD Playback OS X it's amazing, Ubuntu is good too, but you can use it on the Macbook
System Color Tuxedo Black
Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz The DDR3 memory used in the Macbook is superior[/B]
LCD and Camera Standard Display with 2.0 Megapixel Webcam That isn't a LED Screen, the difference is huge, at size and brightness
Video Card IntelŪ Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 The NVidia 9400 it's far better
Hard Drives Speed: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) with Free Fall SensorThis is the only advantage
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Combo or DVD+RW Drive CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Sound Options High Definition Audio 2.0
Wireless Networking IntelŪ 3945 802.11a/g Mini-card The Macbook has 802.11n
Primary Battery 37Whr Lithium Ion Battery (4 cell) The battery on the Macbook is bigger
Hardware Support Services 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Fingerprint Reader Biometric Fingerprint Reader It's Useless, specially with Ubuntu
Camera Panel Standard LCD with Tuxedo Black Casing and Camera XPS M1330
Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dydwtu1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=segtopic~linux_3x

all this would cost you TOTAL:$1,049.00 which you can beat down even futher with this coupon HTZ3M4ZMBGB9LJ (valid till the 23 of this month)
the above specs is the default configuration which can be changed e.g when i ordered mine .. i added a bluetooth module + $20 and changed the 4 cell batt to 6 cell. which added $50 (am not sure). if you are a gamer u can change the default graphic card to Nvidia . in all everything should be under $1150 if you add the coupon. i should be getting mine in less than 4 hours. can hardly wait

Corrections in bold letters.

In order to more or less match the Macbook specs: $1,373

It's still has inferior WiFi, Bluetooth, RAM tech, Processor, and Grpahic Card (NVidia 8400 GS vs NVidia 9400M), and still hasn't mini-DVI or Gigabit Ethernet. The hard drive remains being the only advantage.

And not only that, the construction of the new macbook is clearly superior, and you're getting some little cute add-ons like magsafe and multitouch trackpad, plus, it comes with good software (I don't think Ubuntu soft is bad, don't get me wrong).

And it's prettier :)

Thanks everybody for your opinions.

Anyway, a nice configuration rendering T8100 processor, 4Gb of RAM, 200 Gb HD@7200 and LED backlit display (what do you think about those screens??) is 1064 EUR.
New macbook is 1080 EUR; old macbook boosted to 4GB of RAM and a 160 GB HD is 1083 EUR.

The LED display is practically a must, slimmer, better colors and brightness, and it will be easier to watch outdoors. The processor, RAM and graphic card of the XPS are inferior to those on the Macbook, and the price difference is minimal.

Thanks again, there's this thing about ubuntu, its community, that makes a good OS better!

You're welcome and completely right :)

bigbrovar
October 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Congrats! enjoy it, and if you have the time to post your impressions it would be great!

One word.. blow aways my expectation .. i new that the dell xps was cool but i never knew it was this cool .. was amazes me the must is the finger print reader which just works out of the box. infact i use it inpace of my passwd
GDM session login
Screensaver unlock
Sudo and gksudo prompts
PolicyKit authorization

for me that is the height it doesn't get better than that .. the machine is smooth,polished,sweet, the keyboards are wonderful.. if u love commandline like me than your fingers would bless you everyday because of the softness of the keyboard. and did i say everything just works out of the box, wireless,hibernation,suspense,webcam,you name it .. this machine kickass . all i can say is Thankyou Dell for packaging such a nice hardware for Linux.i got it with 4 ubuntu stickers that says "powered by ubuntu linux" so i put one of the stickers in the dell .. this is by far the best machine i have ever owned.
i guess that just sums it up

Thievrey Corporation
October 17th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I'd get the MacBook, definitely.
Especially the new one; since I switched to Mac, I am still very satisfied with this machine: the MB is silent, Leopard is quick and responsive, and it is really cool. I'm not a fan of computers, but MacBook is the perfect companion for the Elife.

TC

bgreenaway
October 17th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I have the MacBook Pro with the following:

2.33 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
160 GB SATA
ATI Radeon X1600 256MB graphics

Really did not like Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and was desperate to get Hardy working on the MBP as I loved the hardware. Although Ubuntu runs great on it, it does not run great consistently enough to warrant the transformation from OS X to Ubuntu. The major problems that I encountered with Ubuntu on the MBP were:

Runs incredibly hot and has extremely short battery life (less than two hours as opposed to over four hours with OS X)
Fans run extremely loud
Intermittent wireless connection (Atheros chipset, I believe), which would sometimes disappear completely after a reboot. It was just too flaky for my liking.

The pros were Compiz Fusion is breathtakingly beautiful on the MBP and I just love Amarok and will never use iTunes again! Also Sun's VirtualBox (formally Innotek's) was a superb product for running XP or Vista as a VM.

I am now going for the XPS1330 with Dell's build on it. After reviewing a lot of forums, I am reassured enough that Dell's drivers will prevent a repeat of a lot of the problems that I had with the MBP. Shame, because I think that the build quality of the MBP is wonderful.

Go with the MBP if you are prepared to put in a LOT of work to get it running, but even then be prepared for some occasional nasty gotchas. Also, be warned that you will apparently void your warranty with Apple if you put another OS on it.