PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you're on a public computer?

bashveank
January 15th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Well? what do you do when you're forced to use an outdated Windows install with IE6 and a group of psycho's monitoring your trafic?
I try to use a proxy and usually keep my portable HDD with me so that I can use Portable FF.

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2008, 09:57 PM
im on here most of the time when im in java script class, but still its fun
the computers already have firefox

dgray_from_dc
January 15th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I use Firefox Portable behind military firewalls all the time. I fact, that's what I'm doing now. For the most part, they're monitoring for sites that are explicitly against the rules. Site like this usually sneak under the radar.

fedex1993
January 15th, 2008, 10:02 PM
umm well at my highschool i usually just mess around on the internet and what not most forum sites are blocked (sigh) but like we have acess to mostly everything on the compter it self.

fatality_uk
January 15th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I make sure I visit, IN THIS ORDER:
Site 1 (http://carpenoctem.tv/cons/)
Site 3 (http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-CIA-Agent)

Enjoy :)

Removed Site 2. Not a good idea maybe!. Sorry mods

bobbocanfly
January 15th, 2008, 10:06 PM
The only time i use a public computer is at school, where they are macs so free of spyware and we get a choice of Firefox or Safari or even Opera if we want. OF course as its a Mac its sudo model security but mounting the un-passworded admin shares on the file server isnt exactly tricky. Also my computer acts as the router for the whole classroom to connect to the school network. If i wanted to i could run wireshark for a class and look at everyones passwords.

bashveank
January 15th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I make sure I visit, IN THIS ORDER:
Site 1 (http://carpenoctem.tv/cons/)
Site 2 (http://www.capricorn.org/~akira/home/terror.html)
Site 3 (http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-CIA-Agent)

Enjoy :)

:lolflag:
That's the best thing I've seen all day.

PetePete
January 15th, 2008, 10:18 PM
ssh tunnel (using portable putty) to personal server, + portable FF = peace of mind

ssh tunnel connects to my server running ssh on 443 (so can be accessed with tightest firewalls)
then connect to servers local squid proxy and voillia my own perosnal encrypted proxy :D

init1
January 15th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I usually just use the software that's already on it. USB or CD boot would be my second choice.

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2008, 10:32 PM
in high school i loaded a ppc version of ubuntu into the macs until i got introuble and got a week detention for violating some terms of use crap

smartboyathome
January 15th, 2008, 10:38 PM
in high school i loaded a ppc version of ubuntu into the macs until i got introuble and got a week detention for violating some terms of use crap

Lucky for me my school doesn't ban RUNNING stuff on their computers, just INSTALLING it. I just run off a CD+USB drive. :)

FuturePilot
January 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Portable Apps on a USB stick

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Lucky for me my school doesn't ban RUNNING stuff on their computers, just INSTALLING it. I just run off a CD+USB drive. :)

i tried explaining it wasnt doing anything to their system but they kept telling me linux was dangerous and would damage the computer

they should install ubuntu those imacs were fricken boat anchors, the only way to do anything on them was in linux

smartboyathome
January 15th, 2008, 10:46 PM
i tried explaining it wasnt doing anything to their system but they kept telling me linux was dangerous and would damage the computer

they should install ubuntu those imacs were fricken boat anchors, the only way to do anything on them was in linux

My school already knows about what I do... well, except for the very high-ups. I am allowed to as long as I don't mess with the system (which I don't).

LookTJ
January 16th, 2008, 12:39 AM
umm well at my highschool i usually just mess around on the internet and what not most forum sites are blocked (sigh) but like we have acess to mostly everything on the compter it self.
If you can change the internet proxy settings, then you're lucky. In my high school, Everything is restricted on these computers(owned by the district), exe, msconfig, and etc, We can only browse the internet(can't change anything) and MS Office.

The reason you're lucky is because you can download the putty and use port forwarding/tunneling, use it as a socks instead of proxy servers. You can use your laptop or desktop from home as a ssh server.

macogw
January 16th, 2008, 01:49 AM

Violating terms of use and typing up a guide to getting on the school's wireless VPN with Linux, including instructing the person to unzip the .exe (to get the pcf) that the Terms of Use say you won't fool with (and I think that counts as fooling with it) and putting the gate, vpn name, and vpn group password on the HowTo sheet got me a job offer from the school :) I gave 10 copies to a guy from Student Technology Services at the connection fair. He gave it to his boss from ISS (STS is part of ISS, but ISS works only with the professors and servers and stuff). When I went back to report that my wall jack was broken, he said his boss wanted to see me and sent me over. That guy asked me to email him a copy of my resume and an explanation of what I did to troubleshoot and determine that my jack was broken (as opposed to the equipment they handed me being broken or PEBKAC).

bufsabre666
January 16th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Violating terms of use and typing up a guide to getting on the school's wireless VPN with Linux, including instructing the person to unzip the .exe (to get the pcf) that the Terms of Use say you won't fool with (and I think that counts as fooling with it) and putting the gate, vpn name, and vpn group password on the HowTo sheet got me a job offer from the school :) I gave 10 copies to a guy from Student Technology Services at the connection fair. He gave it to his boss from ISS (STS is part of ISS, but ISS works only with the professors and servers and stuff). When I went back to report that my wall jack was broken, he said his boss wanted to see me and sent me over. That guy asked me to email him a copy of my resume and an explanation of what I did to troubleshoot and determine that my jack was broken (as opposed to the equipment they handed me being broken or PEBKAC).

ah pebkac, the most common problem people expect me to trouble shoot

nikoPSK
January 16th, 2008, 01:58 AM
try to exploit it by surpassing the restricted things.

nikoPSK
January 16th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Portable Apps on a USB stick
+1