PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Ubuntu Blog

tigerplug
January 15th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about starting a Ubuntu / Linux blog and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in contributing?

I'm also considering setting up a tracker for Linux ISO's.

Im interested in hearing suggestions on software to use - I was thinking of using Drupal.
I could also do with some help creating a Drupal theme for the site.

nikoPSK
January 15th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about starting a Ubuntu / Linux blog and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in contributing?

Im interested in hearing suggestions on software to use - I was thinking of using Drupal.

blog, sure

I thought it said starting an ubuntu bug :lolflag:

you can see mine here:
nikopsk.wordpress.com (nikopsk.wordpress.com)

Dr Small
January 15th, 2008, 10:50 PM
When you do, you can add it to the LinuxBlogs list project :)
http://php.8ez.com/linuxblogs/

By the way, here is mine:
http://php.8ez.com/drsmall/blog/

fatality_uk
January 15th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Hey everyone,

Just PM me. I can help a little on the theme Drupal but I have written a few Linux articles so would be willing to repro them for your site.

Omnios
January 15th, 2008, 10:56 PM
K there might be a lot of Ubuntu and Linux blogs. How about the Ubuntu and Linux experience as a Blog, Kind of technical, personal and experiences.

An example: Tried setting up Samba in Ubuntu today and nada nada nada.

billgoldberg
January 15th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Wordpress is the only way to go.

There are thousands of themes and plugins, and you can edit the css and the images the way you want.

You might want to set wordpress up on your own host instead of using wordpress.com (limited functions).

nikoPSK
January 15th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Wordpress is the only way to go.

There are thousands of themes and plugins, and you can edit the css and the images the way you want.

You might want to set wordpress up on your own host instead of using wordpress.com (limited functions).

My sidebar is a bit of a hassle though... I want to add stuff and I can't seem to show my blogroll... :(

tigerplug
January 16th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Cool,

So you guys are all in?

I have a Mediatemple server that I can put the site on.
I'll get a domain for the site next week.

Any name suggestions?

nikoPSK
January 16th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Cool,

So you guys are all in?

Any name suggestions?

Plug it in? :D

tigerplug
January 16th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Sounds cool :D

What do you think would be the best platform? - Wordpress or Drupal?

Dr Small
January 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Sounds cool :D

What do you think would be the best platform? - Wordpress or Drupal?
Wordpress, hands down. ;)

tigerplug
January 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Wordpress, hands down. ;)

Hmm, Yeah I've used wordpress before and still do at the moment for my own blog its pretty good.

What about a theme?

Dr Small
January 16th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Hmm, Yeah I've used wordpress before and still do at the moment for my own blog its pretty good.

What about a theme?
Everyone has their personal tastes, but you can browse thousands of themes from here:
http://themes.wordpress.net/

Also, here is another spot I found:
http://www.wpthemespot.com/

tigerplug
January 16th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Everyone has their personal tastes, but you can browse thousands of themes from here:
http://themes.wordpress.net/

Also, here is another spot I found:
http://www.wpthemespot.com/

I guess we'll all have to come to an agreement on it.

Who else is in?

What you think about the best way to collaborate? - MSN Messenger? - Any other suggestions?

nikoPSK
January 16th, 2008, 09:28 PM
IRC. Wordpress, and now a title :)

nikoPSK

tigerplug
January 16th, 2008, 10:47 PM
IRC at 20:00 GMT tomorrow?

nikoPSK
January 16th, 2008, 11:07 PM
sure. You can even create a channel for us. :D

tigerplug
January 17th, 2008, 12:00 AM
sure. You can even create a channel for us. :D

Haven't a clue how to create a channel lol!

http://mashable.com/2007/08/16/wordpress-god300-tools-for-running-your-wordpress-blog/

This could be pretty popular if we do it right!

Joeb454
January 17th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I'm in :) Not sure how often I can contribute, but this is now a subscribed thread :)

nikoPSK
January 17th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Haven't a clue how to create a channel lol!

http://mashable.com/2007/08/16/wordpress-god300-tools-for-running-your-wordpress-blog/

This could be pretty popular if we do it right!

I'll halp ya set it up man, anything to help a fellow ubuntuer. :p

tqprvn
January 17th, 2008, 02:41 AM
well if you want the perspective of a small business changing to Linux, I am happy to write some field reports for you. I am far from an expert on matters Linux (moron is a word that comes to mind faster actually).

Backstory to it is I run a PR company in Vietnam, where the computer shops just default install pirate software when you buy your machines. The govt is now cracking down on piracy here, so I looked into Linux as a way around a pretty hefty licensing bill. Two of us tested fulltime, everyone played with Live CDs, and am now about to deploy.

If that is the sort of content you want for your blog, then happy to toss my story into the ring.

- Matt

nikoPSK
January 17th, 2008, 02:44 AM
so, I think I'm following... you're going to make a large blog and add us all as admins so we can post?

sweet.

Dr Small
January 17th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I may contribute when I can, but I'm finding it somewhat difficult to keep posting to my blog and still be on the forums, so I don't know.. we'll see how things go :)

nikoPSK
January 17th, 2008, 02:50 AM
me too dr small, haven't had time for a post in a few days although I try to get one very day...:(

Xavieran
January 17th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Do I smell an opportunity to make money?

Kidding...xDD

If you need any Arch based articles or info on iteam...(my sig...(oops broken link...)) I would be happy to help...also maybe from the viewpoint of a learning programmer...:)

If there are any investigative articles you want I could supply some also...As you can see I am head of literary development for iteam so I must be good at writing stuff :D :D

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I'd be interested in contributing. I would also recommend using Joomla. Its pretty neat, and i think its easier to use than Drupal. Here is a live demo: http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2097

Omnios
January 17th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I'd be interested in contributing. I would also recommend using Joomla. Its pretty neat, and i think its easier to use than Drupal. Here is a live demo: http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2097

I tried setting up a Drupal site on a free server and found it to be totally bloated.
With the plug ins it took up a huge amount of space and from what I have learn't is resource heavy. Its very nice but with problems.

Xavieran
January 17th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Why don't you make your first post about how you started it...the challenge it was to find the right blogging tools etc...an introductoy post by each contributor could then follow...

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Yeah, everyone seemed to like Drupal so i thought i would try it out, never was very impressed with it. I liked Joomla a lot however. Mambo is quite close to Joomla, but i didnt like it as much. That is if you are looking to use a CMS instead of something like Wordpress.

Also i think if we get several people contributing to your site we can get a fair amount of traffic. That was the problem with my website, didnt get hardly any traffic and i just kind of gave up.

Xavieran
January 17th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I just thought of something...I could post a [how to] on how to get wbar up and running...

This is wbar...

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=56676&stc=1&d=1200570609

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 05:03 AM
There is plenty of stuff we can write about. I'm working on a new tutorial for Hardy on HP and Compaq laptops. Just installed Hardy Alpha 3 since my last post here ;) I can write about my installation, etc.

sowelie
January 17th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I'd be interested in contributing. I recently started a programming blog, mostly my coworkers and I ranting about the crap we run into. I'm using wordpress and I really like it so far.

My blog is at http://ddb.fiestapig.com

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I suggest creating sections in the site (programming, ubuntu, linux general, etc) and each user can post articles/blogs in the respective sections. It should be fairly simple to setup with almost anything you want to use. Seeing as this is already grabbing a lot of attention, i bet we could grab a lot of traffic. Specially if we get some stories submitted to digg ;)

I'm not gonna lie, Wordpress is probably the most user friendly and easiest for the site's purpose...A CMS isnt quite needed for blogging.

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 05:19 AM
double posted on accident...

CCNA_student
January 17th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I will help. Just ask what you need.

nikoPSK
January 17th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Tell us when you get back so we can create the channel/ get started on this. It's a collaborative blog?

CCNA_student
January 17th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I cannot not help too much until the weekend. I have a lot of Physics, Pre-Calculus, and A+ assignments to do. I just go to the forums every now and then in an attempt to help people and advertise my Linux User's Group blog.

Xavieran
January 17th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Heres my draft version of a tutorial on getting wbar...

wbar is a simple quick-launch bar written in C++...it is intended to
be used in FluxBox or OpenBox,but can (with a little coercion) be used in Gnome or KDE...

In this how to I will show you how to set it up and configure it...

First things first.:)
You will need the build-essentials package, if you don't already have it and also imlib2-dev
one of wbars dependencies...

sudo apt-get install build-essentials imlib2-dev
You will also (obviously) need the source code for wbar...

wget http://www.tecapli.com.ar/warlock/wbar-1.3.3.tbz2
wget will download wbar into the sire

Decompress the source code into your home folder (or maybe a special "code" directory if you have one...)
and then cd into it in a terminal
eg.
cd your_wbar_directory
replace your_wbar_directory with the place wbar decompressed into...

nikoPSK
January 17th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Heres my draft version of a tutorial on getting wbar...

fun! :popcorn:

Xavieran
January 17th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Thanks...yeah it is *really* fun...I use it on Flux Box in Arch and it beautifully compliments Arches speed...:):):)

It's not finished yet...just a quick hack-together to show what I'm working on...

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Someone contact me over IM before the IRC meeting so i dont forget! lol i get kinda busy with school now and again. We should have plenty of things to write about. If we get this site up, all of us contributors should add a link in our signatures too.

Just installed hardy, so thats something else i can write about.

nikoPSK
January 17th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Thanks...yeah it is *really* fun...I use it on Flux Box in Arch and it beautifully compliments Arches speed...:):):)

It's not finished yet...just a quick hack-together to show what I'm working on...

fluxbox is really nice.

nikoPSK
January 17th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Someone contact me over IM before the IRC meeting so i dont forget! lol i get kinda busy with school now and again. We should have plenty of things to write about. If we get this site up, all of us contributors should add a link in our signatures too.

Just installed hardy, so thats something else i can write about.

we could set up a chatroom and IRC, then we'd be rollin. I'll post the channel name once I get it up.

Xavieran
January 17th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I think we should have a *Glossary*...
It could be a list of unfamiliar words for the new Ubuntu user...
Command line commands etc...

I don't want to have to explain what cd does in the middle of a riveting tutorial ;)

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 06:28 AM

I don't want to have to explain what cd does in the middle of a riveting tutorial ;)

I like that idea. If we can get a chatroom or channel setup that would be excellent! :guitar:

Xavieran
January 17th, 2008, 06:48 AM
NikoPSK:Do you have this chat channel set up?
When you do PM me with the info...;)

I am currently in #iteam on irc.freenode.net...

nikoPSK
January 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I like that idea. If we can get a chatroom or channel setup that would be excellent! :guitar:

I'll notify you the name, should be done tomorrow. :D

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Awesome, i think this site is going to be fun! Can't wait! :D

some_random_noob
January 17th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I started a site recently using an HTML editor... I only have a few pages though. Maybe you could borrow my content for your site once I get around to writing more stuff? (With credit to me of course :) )

Something to keep in mind is make the site non-geeky. Seriously people, I come to these forums and I always see people messing around with the terminal or making unnecessary system tweaks. Whatever happened to using a computer for its intended tasks? I think that technical articles would be a really crap idea. Make it simplistic... or better yet, let me have my own section :D If we do a nerdy, tech blog then we'll just be re-inventing the wheel.

Xavieran
January 17th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I think there should be something for everyone there...I actually enjoy seeing how fast I can make my computer run...;)

Maybe we could use a rating system (*maybe*)...But there probably would be a separate section for techie articles...

Xavieran
January 17th, 2008, 08:03 AM
As I said...still in progress,but it should make for a good read...

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 08:07 AM
We can have a Beginner, Advanced, and Expert rating system/sections on the site so that users can tell how tough its going to be.

I like the article. Definitely wont fit under any sort of 'Beginner' category, but that will be great...*runs off to go install wbar* ;)

Xavieran
January 17th, 2008, 09:10 AM
INTRODUCTION

wbar is a simple quick-launch bar written in C++...it is intended to
be used in FluxBox or similar,but can (with a little coercion) be used in Gnome or KDE...
wbar interfaces directly with the X Server in order to not go through many layers
of processing and saves a heck of a lot of speed this way!

In this how to I will show you how to set it up and configure it...

INSTALLATION

First things first :)

You will need the build-essentials package, if you don't already have it and also imlib2-dev
which is one of wbars (few) dependencies...

sudo apt-get install build-essentials imlib2-dev
You will also (obviously) need the source code for wbar...

wget http://www.tecapli.com.ar/warlock/wbar-1.3.3.tbz2
wget will download the wbar .tar.bz2 into the directory you are currently in...

Then execute
tar -xjvf wbar-1.3.3.tbz2 && cd wbar-1.3.3
This will decompress the tar.bz2 file into your home folder ,the &&
means that if the previous command was successful,execute the next command,
in this case cd...

You are now in the source directory of wbar.
With most programs you should type in ./configure to see if you have
satisfied all dependencies, but with wbar there is currently no configure
file(I guess it doesn't really need one because it's only main dependency is imlib2...)
Type in
make
You should see some nice code go down the terminal window
and assuming nothing goes wrong you can now install it with

sudo make install

CONFIGURATION

Now that we have installed it,you would think that it's all over.
It isn't.
We now have to create a config file to hold our settings for our launchers.
The first thing to do is to copy the default icons into a separate folder...I made
one called .wbar (the dot will make it hidden) and then made a folder inside that
called Icons...

Making a config file is pretty easy,we just have to follow a few syntax rules
given to us by the author...
So the very first launcher definition must be for the background image:

i: /home/$HOME/.wbar/Icons/backgroundosx.png
c: --
t: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeMonoBold.ttf/8

i: Gets the image to use for the background...
c: There is no command,so we put --
t: The location of a TTF (TrueType Font) and the size

Now that we have that done let's make a quick launcher for,say Firefox...
Thes syntax is nearly the same...

i: /the/path/to/your/icon
c: The command to be executed
t: Any text you want displayed when you hover the mouse over an icon

So for Firefox we could make:

i: /home/your-username/.wbar/Icons/firefox.png
c: firefox
t: "Web Browser"

So,that's our config file done,now lets start with the fun stuff!
To execute wbar you run the command
wbar
But we still need to append a few arguments to tell wbar what to do...

This is what each argument does:

-filter
What type of colour filtering to use...
0:None
1:Icon hovered over
2:All icons other than the icon hovered over
3:All icons

-fc
The colour of the filter to be applied...0xAlphaAlphaRedRedGreenGreenBlueBlue
If you use the GIMP you can use the colour chooser included to get the html notation
for a colour you like and then append it after 0xAlphaAlpha...

-bpress
Icons get "pressed" when clicked

-zoomf
How much the icons will zoom in when hovered over...

-jumpf
How much the icons should "jump out" when hovered over...

-pos
The position of the bar...left,right,bottom,top and center...
Note,You will probably want a vertical bar if you choose to the
left or right...

-vbar
Makes the bar vertical

-balfa
The bars normal transparency

-falfa
The bars transparency when hovered over

-config
The location of your config file

-idist
The distance between the icons

-isize
The size of the icons

-dblclk
Not entirely sure what this is for...

-nanim
The number of icons to be animated

-nofont
No text rendering is done...
This is useful if you have a vertical bar
and the text falls off the edges of the bar

-above-desk
This is used for Gnome or KDE
Note,I haven't gotten wbar to work
properly with Gnome or KDE...
I had to launch it from a terminal
and it wouldn't show if I added it to Sessions

So the command I use is
wbar -filter 1 -fc 0xf065dcc7 -bpress -zoomf 1.5 -jumpf 1.5 -pos left -vbar -balfa 100 -falfa 80 -config $home/.wbar/conf

There are *heaps* of different combinations that you can use, and I have barely
touched the tip of the iceberg...try out different settings with the arguments
and mainly,have fun...

Xavieran
January 17th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Is that any good? ;)

Probably would go into an Advanced section and we can add a kernel compilation how to in the Expert section (Any volunteers?)

Joeb454
January 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Not me :p I've never compiled a kernel in my life...mainly because I've never had to lol

tigerplug
January 17th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Woooaaahhh .....

Thats alot of responses. I wasn't expecting that, its great to see all of the interest!

Anyway , this is going to be a long post.... but stick with it :cool:

well if you want the perspective of a small business changing to Linux, I am happy to write some field reports for you.......
That'd be great, watch this thread for more info!

so, I think I'm following... you're going to make a large blog and add us all as admins so we can post?
sweet.

Yep thats it pretty much.

I may contribute when I can, but I'm finding it somewhat difficult to keep posting to my blog and still be on the forums, so I don't know.. we'll see how things go :)

Thanks for the interest! - Your contribution it very welcome

me too dr small, haven't had time for a post in a few days although I try to get one very day...:(

I know what it can be like... thats the advantage of this blog - some of us are in different timezones... if we do this right, the blog will be very active. Although, it is important to stick with it even if its not so successful in the beginning. The site will be pircked up on over time - I've done it before.

Do I smell an opportunity to make money?

Kidding...xDD

If you need any Arch based articles or info on iteam...(my sig...(oops broken link...)) I would be happy to help...also maybe from the viewpoint of a learning programmer...:)

If there are any investigative articles you want I could supply some also...As you can see I am head of literary development for iteam so I must be good at writing stuff :D :D

LOL - We're not going to have anything commercial on it in the first two months anyway - see what happens after that. Maybe we could put the money towards something useful if we do make it ... we can all make a decision on this together.

It'd be great to get variety rather than just confine the blog to Ubuntu. Learning to program could be a good contribution to the blog too!

------------------------

I think its important that we set a size limit for the blogging team from here in - too many people will make it messy. Any newcomers from now on will be considered but not guaranteed.

We need to take out time at this. Its not a good idea to rush. IMO we should talk first and then study some other blogs, watch them for a week or two. Study their pattern and style of writing.

Decided on a system (Im for Wordpress)-

It seems to me that the most obvious options are (In no particular order):

Wordpress
Joomla
Drupal

Also I feel that maybe we should not just confine the blog to Ubuntu-
I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on this.

If you are interested then the best thing to do is post here / PM me and keep an eye on this thread.

There will be an IRC channel up at somestage today -
All going well we will be meeting on IRC at 20:00 GMT tonight.
If not then we can reschedule.

Thanks,

Tigerplug ;)

tigerplug
January 17th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Why don't you make your first post about how you started it...the challenge it was to find the right blogging tools etc...an introductoy post by each contributor could then follow...

I'll keep this in mind. ;)

I just thought of something...I could post a [how to] on how to get wbar up and running...

That'd make a cool post!

I'd be interested in contributing. I recently started a programming blog, mostly my coworkers and I ranting about the crap we run into. I'm using wordpress and I really like it so far.

My blog is at http://ddb.fiestapig.com

Your welcome to take part :D ;)

Brilliant Idea! :KS

Joeb454
January 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Tigerplug: You need to limit it really, like you said, if you have too many contributors it'll get messy.

I'd like to do it, though maintaining a blog of my own also means I won't post ALL the time, but I'd definitely do it.

I'd say no more than 10 people at the very most, otherwise we'll be in trouble ;)

Xavieran
January 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM
General Mean TIme for Australia is 6:30 right?

I live in Aus,so it may be a little hard for me to wake up that early...xDD
But that's okay,as long as NikoPSK specifies a channel...I could be there...I also think it would probably be easier to make a regular blog if you have more than one person doing it...

tigerplug:Do you have any idea of blogs to follow?
I read K.Mandlas blog occasionally and a few others...

I tried to make my little how-to as friendly as possible,but it does seem to be a little advanced...If anyone could test it and tell me where to improve..:)
btw.I wrote it in gedit! :D

tigerplug
January 17th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Tigerplug: You need to limit it really, like you said, if you have too many contributors it'll get messy.

I'd like to do it, though maintaining a blog of my own also means I won't post ALL the time, but I'd definitely do it.

I'd say no more than 10 people at the very most, otherwise we'll be in trouble ;)

Yeah I'm setting a limit to an absolute maximum of 10 - But we'll try to keep it a little smaller than that.

General Mean TIme for Australia is 6:30 right?

I live in Aus,so it may be a little hard for me to wake up that early...xDD
But that's okay,as long as NikoPSK specifies a channel...I could be there...I also think it would probably be easier to make a regular blog if you have more than one person doing it...

tigerplug:Do you have any idea of blogs to follow?
I read K.Mandlas blog occasionally and a few others...

I tried to make my little how-to as friendly as possible,but it does seem to be a little advanced...If anyone could test it and tell me where to improve..:)
btw.I wrote it in gedit! :D

Don't worry abou it if you can't make it. Your in anyway. We can update you on everything and we'll publish the log on my server so you can read it.

I didn't get a chance to read through it yet. Im at work at the moment, completely up to my eyes but I will take a look when I get a chance .... Don't hold your breathe! ;) ... But I will.From the glance I've had at it, it looks brill :D

I think its important to follow blogs, but we need to establish an identity of our own also! - We need to be original in alot of ways and also look at "what do people want to read?" and "why you should read out site while you could spend the time reading another?"

We need to establish a theme also (as in the layout/design) - Maybe if we're lucky enough we'll get sometone from the Art/Graphics section.

It'll be an interesting project, that for sure!

Joeb454
January 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM
How many were you thinking of?...and dono't worry about it Tigerplug, I'm at Uni at the moment ;)

tigerplug
January 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM
How many were you thinking of?...and dono't worry about it Tigerplug, I'm at Uni at the moment ;)

To be honest I'm not sure.
You in anyway - everyone that posted so far is in if they are interested.

Joeb454
January 17th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah I'll do it...won't be able to make the IRC, but I gave you my email address yesterday.

Also some may be replica posts from my own blog, and vice versa, but some will be original, and probably just linked to from my blog :)

Gives me something else to do in my spare time :D

Xavieran
January 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Heheh...I'm researching compiling kernels right now...I do homeschooling so I have *plenty* of free time :)

Gen2ly
January 17th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Looks like fun. To create a good blog requires a single thing: good writers. I read a few blogs here that would do. The whole drupal route, setting up a namespace, server... would be good if you were pretty serious about the project; I'd like to point out that wordpress.com has the ability to add users as well, and a nice export function in case you'd ever want to relocate it. I would be happy to contribute if this project is non-profit.

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Sweet, woke up this morning to see a LOT of activity on this thread. We just have to make sure to organize everything clean and simple. I can contribute about laptops especially with Hardy as im going to write another tutorial on installing Hardy on Hp/Compaq laptops with all necessary drivers. I've got a couple of other things in mind like a programming section (Ive started doing a lot with C++/Qt). Just some thoughts! Time for class... :( I'd rather hang out here....

Joeb454
January 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I'm doing C programming at Uni at the moment, so you might get a few posts from me about that.

tigerplug
January 17th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Sweet, woke up this morning to see a LOT of activity on this thread. We just have to make sure to organize everything clean and simple. I can contribute about laptops especially with Hardy as im going to write another tutorial on installing Hardy on Hp/Compaq laptops with all necessary drivers. I've got a couple of other things in mind like a programming section (Ive started doing a lot with C++/Qt). Just some thoughts! Time for class... :( I'd rather hang out here....

Couldn't agree more...
I think the prepartion to this is the key!

I'm doing C programming at Uni at the moment, so you might get a few posts from me about that.

Yeah guys, programming would be great for it.

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM
We definitely need a hardy heron testing section. Maybe that will encourage more people to try it out. Just installed it last night, hated gutsy but i love hardy ;)

nikoPSK
January 17th, 2008, 05:02 PM
that would be nice... +1

tigerplug
January 17th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah that'd be cool!

I buy a hell of alot of gadgets etc... maybe we could get something like that into it to.

Sandisk Sansa on the way ;)

days_of_ruin
January 17th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Cool,

So you guys are all in?

Any name suggestions?

how about "ubuntu is better then windows, and I mean every version
of windows also its better then macs"oops kinda long:lolflag::lolflag:

Joeb454
January 17th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah might be a bit long

Also, everybody seems to be focused at different things, which might work out quite well :)

and www.ubuntubloggers.com /.co.uk is free, and also www.thisisablog.co.uk ;) .com is taken for the 2nd one :(

I found out using www.123-reg.co.uk (http://www.123-reg.co.uk)

tigerplug
January 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Yeah might be a bit long

Also, everybody seems to be focused at different things, which might work out quite well :)

and www.ubuntubloggers.com /.co.uk is free, and also www.thisisablog.co.uk ;) .com is taken for the 2nd one :(

I found out using www.123-reg.co.uk (http://www.123-reg.co.uk)

I like ubuntubloggers.com ... But then its confined to Ubuntu... even though it does sound cool!

How about... hmmm..... I can't think of anything!

days_of_ruin
January 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
has "blogbuntu" already been taken?

days_of_ruin
January 17th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I like ubuntubloggers.com ... But then its confined to Ubuntu... even though it does sound cool!

How about... hmmm..... I can't think of anything!

not necessarily
Ubuntu is linux so no one is going to care if its not one hundred percent ubuntu related since anything linux related is in a way related
to ubuntu

tigerplug
January 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I think I'm going to put up a testing server tonight at home. Just so that we can sort out the wordpress stuff.

Im pretty busy with work and everything, so if I don't get it online tonight it'll be tomorrow night for sure.

Joeb454
January 17th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Yeah, don't forget that you have that IRC thing tonight that I can't make :(

I'll be on IRC about 10 / 11 GMT though if you're still on.

I know what you mean about Ubuntubloggers...I'm just checking blogbuntu.com

Joeb454
January 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Checking the same website again tells the yes, blogbuntu.com is indeed available, as is blogbuntu.co.uk

That's not a bad name :)

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I like both of those names...and in support of ubuntubloggers, that would just mean its some guys who like ubuntu that are writing the blogs, not necessarily blogging about ubuntu. blogbuntu is pretty cool, but i think its a little harder to remember.

Joeb454
January 17th, 2008, 06:36 PM
EXCiD3 you also have to think that blogbuntu can incorporate any form of *buntu

e.g. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Fluxbuntu, Mythbuntu etc. And also Linux in general :)

Either way they're both good names :) And for what it's worth I don't think blogbuntu is hard to remember, just awkward to say :D

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 06:41 PM
True, i agree with that. Actually once it starts getting known i dont htink people will really care what the name is ;) blogbuntu is kinda growing on me. i think i like that one better now. Anybody have any other ideas for a name? i couldnt come up with anything.

Joeb454
January 17th, 2008, 06:45 PM
No I struggled to come up with that...in fact I didn't even come up with blogbuntu, there's a post on the previous page with it suggested :) I thanked whoever came up with it, and I also checked to see if it was registered

tigerplug
January 17th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah - blogbuntu is growing on me!

EXCiD3
January 17th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Any word on the IRC channel yet?

nikoPSK
January 18th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Any word on the IRC channel yet?

i got swimming, in an hour and a half it will be up :)

EXCiD3
January 18th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Awesome, ive got some stuff to do, hopefully i can make the meeting.

Xavieran
January 18th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I'm awake!

I might not make it to the meeting,but if I don't you can just email the logs to me...It's raining here so I have to play with my little sister...:D

Have Fun!:)

P.S.Blogbuntu sounds cool...:)

Dr Small
January 18th, 2008, 01:26 AM
i got swimming, in an hour and a half it will be up :)
When is the event supposed to happen? I missed that.. Maybe I can get on.

EXCiD3
January 18th, 2008, 01:29 AM
When is the event supposed to happen? I missed that.. Maybe I can get on.

IRC at 20:00 GMT tonight, channel tbd.

nikoPSK
January 18th, 2008, 02:40 AM
join: #BlogMeet

EXCiD3
January 18th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Sweet I'm in!

Burgundavia
January 18th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Would the Fridge (http://fridge.ubuntu.com) not be a good venue for posting at least some of your stuff? It already has readership.

Corey

nikoPSK
January 18th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Would the Fridge (http://fridge.ubuntu.com) not be a good venue for posting at least some of your stuff? It already has readership.

Corey

that looks nice. Oooh, A new ubuntubook! :)

EXCiD3
January 18th, 2008, 04:09 AM
well that meeting went well...

sowelie
January 18th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I've been out of the loop...had to set up a vBulletin forum for someone (actually ended up going with phpBB). I missed the meeting, but I'd still like to contribute. I actually own a couple of web servers too so I could even host the blog if you guys want.

EXCiD3
January 18th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Haha, yeah well the meeting consisted of us joining the chatroom....and doing absolutely nothing. You didnt miss a thing.

Darkhack
January 18th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I could contribute every now and then. Also, I would suggest that you try to make this blog unique and not have "Yet Another Tutorial for Some Common Task" or "Linux is Better Than Window" or "Comparison of Desktop Environment" posts. All of those have been done to death and that's the last thing the internet needs. I read a lot of blogs and nothing makes me leave quicker than when I see such unoriginal content and ideas.

Xavieran
January 18th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I think having a collection of people rather than just one will probably make it more interesting...how many of you read magazines that only have one contributor...

This way we can have many different veins of articles on one page...:):)

nikoPSK
January 18th, 2008, 07:28 AM
tigerplug, we need a time where you can be there. :)

EXCiD3
January 18th, 2008, 07:41 AM

Agreed...it is his idea after all.

I think that many of these ideas we have can easily give the site a unique feel. I agree that it needs to be unique in order to have users return.

tigerplug
January 18th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Hey guys,

Sorry about that.
I was online last night at 20:00GMT but by the time everything was setup I was gone because I have work today.

Can you guys add me on MSN?

I'm moving to x64 tonight I think and I'm travelling home (which is the other side of the country for the weekend), I'm bringing my laptop with me anyway.

:)

Joeb454
January 18th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I moved to x64...and now I'm back on x86 :lolflag:

tigerplug
January 18th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I moved to x64...and now I'm back on x86 :lolflag:

Good Idea or bad idea?

Joeb454
January 18th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Depends, I never took advantage of the x64 architecture, as I never did anything processor intensive like video encoding etc.

I'm only back on 32 bit because I broke the install :D

EXCiD3
January 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Good Idea or bad idea?

Good idea. That means you have another article to write ;)

I'll add you on MSN, but I'm going home for the weekend as its a 3 day weekend. I have dialup at home, so ill only be checking the forums once or twice. Remember: Home is where the hard disk is! :lolflag:

sowelie
January 18th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I could contribute every now and then. Also, I would suggest that you try to make this blog unique and not have "Yet Another Tutorial for Some Common Task" or "Linux is Better Than Window" or "Comparison of Desktop Environment" posts. All of those have been done to death and that's the last thing the internet needs. I read a lot of blogs and nothing makes me leave quicker than when I see such unoriginal content and ideas.

Yes, it definitely needs to be unique. I think it should focus on our experiences with ubuntu. Also, it would be a good place to put forward our thoughts about where ubuntu should go in the future. I know there are a number of things I would like to see changed.

Dr Small
January 19th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Here is the IRC Chat log of what we had last night, while I was there:
http://pastebin.com/f22892d9a

EXCiD3
January 19th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Dr Small, thanks for the chat logs...I am home for the long weekend and am restricted to my parent's dialup :( Too bad I missed the meeting! I'll be back at college on monday though! :)

Also, i would say to definitely use wordpress....all CMS's are too hard to use. Drupal is the easiest, but Wordpress is so much better when it comes to a blog.

nikoPSK
January 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Dr Small, thanks for the chat logs...I am home for the long weekend and am restricted to my parent's dialup :( Too bad I missed the meeting! I'll be back at college on monday though! :)

Also, i would say to definitely use wordpress....all CMS's are too hard to use. Drupal is the easiest, but Wordpress is so much better when it comes to a blog.

we discussed all that there. Unfortunately another 30 minutes is clipped out as dr small had to leave early. :(

EXCiD3
January 19th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Haha, ok well i missed the ENTIRE thing so im kind of out of the loop. Anyone have the rest of the chatlogs?

Joeb454
January 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I think that is the entire chatlog

Don't hold me to that though

Dr Small
January 19th, 2008, 11:20 PM
nikoPSK may have the entire chatlog, if he turned loggin on in Xchat. But that was not the entire log, just the part that I got to participate in, and I had to get off (from what nikoPSK said, 30 minutes) too soon.

So, it's missing half an hour out of it, but you get the entire jist.
NikoPSK can post his log if he has one.

Dr Small

Xavieran
January 20th, 2008, 12:26 AM
So can nikoPSK post his logo here...I haven't seen it yet,Daniels was pretty awesome though :)

Yeah,DrSmall,I think you missed out on a fair amount of it,from the looks of your logs...:)

My wbar how to still hasn't been tested under ubuntu (I'm using arch a lot these days...) so I can't say whether it would work well under anything but FluxBox...btw.Does anyone know how to run a command at login in FluxBox?Kind of like the Sessions in Gnome?

Dr Small
January 20th, 2008, 12:56 AM
So can nikoPSK post his logo here...I haven't seen it yet,Daniels was pretty awesome though :)

Yeah,DrSmall,I think you missed out on a fair amount of it,from the looks of your logs...:)

My wbar how to still hasn't been tested under ubuntu (I'm using arch a lot these days...) so I can't say whether it would work well under anything but FluxBox...btw.Does anyone know how to run a command at login in FluxBox?Kind of like the Sessions in Gnome?
Check this out:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fluxbox#head-947354581cf981976ba130b51b3286014e50bc1e

Xavieran
January 20th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the link DrSmall...I did learn some things that I wasn't even thinking about!:)

EXCiD3
January 21st, 2008, 05:04 AM
Any new news on the blogsite?

nikoPSK
January 21st, 2008, 06:11 AM
come to irc, main discussion point. Tigerplug was in earlier. Should have the blog in itself up soon. I'm creating a theme for the blog. :)

EXCiD3
January 21st, 2008, 06:19 AM
ugh...im home for the weekend and stuck on dialup :( ill be on irc tomorrow night!

nikoPSK
January 21st, 2008, 06:29 AM
thats fine, see ya then! :)

EXCiD3
January 29th, 2008, 06:57 AM
So any news on when the site is going up? I just reinstalled Windows and havent had a chance to get back on IRC. nikoPSK, i <3 your avatar ;)

tigerplug
January 29th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Sorry I haven't been on in a while guys.

I've been up to my eyes.
Usually when I'm not on you can take it that this means I am very busy.

At the moment I'm working through CCNA, A+, MCSE ---> which I already know but I need to certify in them. This is taking up alot of my time.

Almost done though ;)

come to irc, main discussion point. Tigerplug was in earlier. Should have the blog in itself up soon. I'm creating a theme for the blog. :)

Looking forward to seeing that!

ugh...im home for the weekend and stuck on dialup :( ill be on irc tomorrow night!

I know exactly what thats like!

So any news on when the site is going up? I just reinstalled Windows and havent had a chance to get back on IRC. nikoPSK, i <3 your avatar ;)

Yup - I will get the domain name tonight guys ;)

Joeb454
January 29th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Long time no see Tigerplug :)

I'm going to be busy as well the next 4-6 weeks, I have 2 pieces of Coursework de in for Uni, one is an SQL project (and I HATE SQL :)) and the other is some Web Assignment

tigerplug
January 29th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Long time no see Tigerplug :)

I'm going to be busy as well the next 4-6 weeks, I have 2 pieces of Coursework de in for Uni, one is an SQL project (and I HATE SQL :)) and the other is some Web Assignment

SQL Server isn't so bad.
I passed the Microsoft SQL Exams after 3 weeks... it'll be a walk in the park ;)

nikoPSK
January 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM
SQL Server isn't so bad.
I passed the Microsoft SQL Exams after 3 weeks... it'll be a walk in the park ;)

good to hear from ya tp, see ya soon. :)

Xavieran
January 30th, 2008, 01:24 AM
NikoPSK, Glad to see you got a better avatar ;) :D

I have been out of the loop for a while because I am moving to Mildura, Aus ,and I went to one of the The Police concerts!! They rock!!!!!!

Joeb454
January 30th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Only just noticed that NikoPSK has a new avatar.

Also, TigerPlug, I have to write the SQL Code myself, and it's for an Oracle DB. So I'm not really enjoying it.

tigerplug
January 31st, 2008, 06:18 PM
Only just noticed that NikoPSK has a new avatar.

Also, TigerPlug, I have to write the SQL Code myself, and it's for an Oracle DB. So I'm not really enjoying it.

Thats how I started out .... As an Oracle TC.

nikoPSK
January 31st, 2008, 07:39 PM
Thats how I started out .... As an Oracle TC.

well, talk to you tonight!

Xavieran
February 8th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Where are we going?

nikoPSK
February 8th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Where are we going?

tigerplug has been busy, we are getting hosting soon. :)

Xavieran
February 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
O.K...
For a second there I almost thought that we had dropped it! :)

Cochise
February 10th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I would be interested in taking part in this, if thats possible? Could put some tutorials on getting different apps working with wine, ati graphics tutorials etc.

quinnten83
February 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I would be interested in taking part in this, if thats possible? Could put some tutorials on getting different apps working with wine, ati graphics tutorials etc.

Wine tutorials would be great. i have no idea how to work with wine.
I don' t even understand the interface or the way it keeps your "windows files".

EXCiD3
February 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I don' t even understand the interface or the way it keeps your "windows files".

Pretty simple actually. They are just stored in a hidden folder in your /home folder. Files are stored in /drive_c and stored exactly how you would see them in my computer if you were on windows. ;)

I think wine tutorials would be great. Theres plenty of things id like to do in wine, but i dont have the time to figure out myself. if we had soem tutorials that would make it much easier for me.

I was wondering what was up with the site. Once he gets hosting up things should go pretty smoothly from there! Anyone got us a wordpress theme yet?

nikoPSK
February 11th, 2008, 02:18 AM

come to our IRC channel: #blogmeet

will do.

Cochise
February 11th, 2008, 11:01 AM
which network is that?

EXCiD3
February 11th, 2008, 07:10 PM
which network is that?

freenode

Dr Small
February 11th, 2008, 08:20 PM
which network is that?
irc.freenode.net

nikoPSK
February 11th, 2008, 09:41 PM
irc.freenode.net

heya dr, sorry forgot the info. :) Just to clarify, will be on irc in maybe three hours.

RAV TUX
February 13th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Hey everyone,

I could also do with some help creating a Drupal theme for the site.The best Ubuntu blog I have seen is:

The Daily Ubuntu (http://thedailyubuntu.blogspot.com/)

nikoPSK
February 13th, 2008, 07:01 AM
The best Ubuntu blog I have seen is:

The Daily Ubuntu (http://thedailyubuntu.blogspot.com/)

Thats nice, I like life hacker and my blog:

http://lifehacker.com/
http://nikopsk.wordpress.com/

RAV TUX
February 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Thats nice, I like life hacker and my blog:

http://lifehacker.com/
http://nikopsk.wordpress.com/Nice Ubuntu Blogs you may want to post them in the following thread:

Which Ubuntu Blog do you like the best? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=695375)

nikoPSK
February 14th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Nice Ubuntu Blogs you may want to post them in the following thread:

Which Ubuntu Blog do you like the best? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=695375)

Done. Like the new avatar. :)

brennydoogles
February 14th, 2008, 12:22 AM
You know I'm in!!!

nikoPSK
February 14th, 2008, 01:59 AM
You know I'm in!!! We do too :lol:

Joeb454
February 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM
*Wonders what's actually going on with this blog*

EXCiD3
February 16th, 2008, 08:29 PM
*is thinking the same thing*

nikoPSK
February 17th, 2008, 03:35 AM
*is thinking the same thing*

*thinks tigerplug is busy*

Xavieran
February 21st, 2008, 11:55 PM
*xavieran yawns

Gen2ly
February 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Looking forward to reading this when it gets off the ground.

EXCiD3
February 22nd, 2008, 09:42 PM

Hopefully tigerplug will get some free time to setup the server, once he gets wordpress installed it will take off because weve got enough writers that we wont need to rely on him except for doing server side stuff.

Anyone know how tigerplug is doing?

Joeb454
February 25th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I haven't seen TigerPlug for a long while actually...

CaptainCabinet
February 25th, 2008, 01:03 AM

Me too.

Joeb454
February 25th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Well TigerPlug's last activity was 3 weeks ago according to his profile page (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=322536)

If he gets back on here then we'll hopefully get it going :)

JeffoOfMetal
February 25th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Hey everyone,

Well, you might be inpired by all of these people's blogs here.

Mine: http://jeffobazonionlinux.blogspot.com

Aerin
February 25th, 2008, 09:12 AM
If you haven't registered a domain yet, I thought of one of the top of my head: blogbuntu! Its still unregistered,.

EXCiD3
March 3rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Well, anyone heard anything about the blog? So much for this...I was hoping it would go over, but if tigerplug is busy we cant do much about it. :(

Joeb454
March 5th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Hey EXCiD3, I've not heard from him either, I keep checking out his forum profile to see when he was last online, it was some time ago when I last checked.

Never mind, I'm a bit too busy at the minute anyway, so I'm struggling to keep my own blog up-to-date

nikoPSK
March 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hehe, I think he's on a road-trip or something... ;)

tigerplug
March 7th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Hopefully tigerplug will get some free time to setup the server, once he gets wordpress installed it will take off because weve got enough writers that we wont need to rely on him except for doing server side stuff.

Anyone know how tigerplug is doing?

I'm back! ----> Been a while.

Got hosting if you guys want to use my hosting? - Its ready to roll.

EXCiD3
March 7th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I'm back! ----> Been a while.

Got hosting if you guys want to use my hosting? - Its ready to roll.

Yay!! ur back! Maybe we can get started on this site! :guitar:

tigerplug
March 9th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Just to update I now have the domain blogbuntu.com and a VPS (Ubuntu Gutsy ;) ) at slicehost.com

I have updated the nameservers for the domain and I will setup the virtual host and wordpress installation for the blog tomorrow (its 2.50am here now).

Drop me a PM anyone needing more info if you dont here from me... because of timezone differences etc

LookTJ
March 9th, 2008, 04:05 AM
www.ubuntuboxes.co.uk/looktj/blog

Uses drupal. I recommend Drupal over Wordpress because it's more user-friendly and alot more customizable.

tigerplug
March 9th, 2008, 04:13 AM

Uses drupal. I recommend Drupal over Wordpress because it's more user-friendly and alot more customizable.

Hmm, I get what your saying.

I just mentioned wordpress because thats what I use at www.tigerplug.com and thats what most of the people in #blogmeet irc had agreed on.

However, if you think drupal is worth taking a look at then I think we should.

LookTJ
March 9th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Hmm, I get what your saying.

I just mentioned wordpress because thats what I use at www.tigerplug.com (http://www.tigerplug.com) and thats what most of the people in #blogmeet irc had agreed on.

However, if you think drupal is worth taking a look at then I think we should.You can install and test it out before switching over(that is, only if you like it)

Dr Small
March 9th, 2008, 04:42 AM

Drupal, user-friendly? You've got to be kidding.
I have used drupal multiple times and could never past the initial setup. It was mind baffling. :D

Dr Small

LookTJ
March 9th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I have used drupal multiple times and could never past the initial setup. It was mind baffling. :D

Dr SmallThe whole setup is quick and easy for me. but once you have installed Drupal, it's a dream.

EXCiD3
March 9th, 2008, 05:35 AM

Dr Small

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. I've used both and was never able to comprehend the complexities of setting up a site using drupal. After spending an entire 2 weeks configuring it, i still couldnt get it. 3 Days with wordpress got me EXACTLY what I wanted. But thats just my 2 cents. It's really up to tigerplug.

tigerplug
March 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Google Apps is now set up on BlogBuntu.com

You can find it here:
http://start.blogbuntu.com - Start Page
http://docs.blogbuntu.com - Google Docs Repository
http://mail.blogbuntu.com - E-mail (Powered by Gmail)
http://calendar.blogbuntu.com - Calendar

We also have GTalk for our domain so that we can communicate.

Members of the #BlogMeet IRC chat and people interested in contributing to the blog please PM me the following:

First Name
Last Name
Desired Username (this will be username@blogbuntu.com)

I'll get the accounts setup and then you can change your password.

Thanks,

Tigerplug

Xavieran
March 12th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Glad we're going ahead with it :D

I checked out blogbuntu.com (cool name,easy to remember) and it looks nice ;)

Xavieran
March 18th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Hey Tigerplug...could you please add us?

If we could just get it going until you're more ready to work more on it that would be great...

Xavieran
March 19th, 2008, 10:13 PM
My First Article is ready for publishing...Tigerplug,where have you gone?

tigerplug
March 31st, 2008, 02:07 AM
My First Article is ready for publishing...Tigerplug,where have you gone?

Hey everyone,

I'm sure you think that I have abandoned you completely!
Don't worry! - I haven't. I'm in the middle of a big move back home and at the moment I do not have a broadband connection where I live. I'm still waiting to be connected! (I have to get satellite Broadband) Hoping that it will be installed before the end of the week!

As soon as I have my connection we can get to work!

Thanks and sorry!
;)

Tigerplug

EXCiD3
March 31st, 2008, 02:16 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm sure you think that I have abandoned you completely!
Don't worry! - I haven't. I'm in the middle of a big move back home and at the moment I do not have a broadband connection where I live. I'm still waiting to be connected! (I have to get satellite Broadband) Hoping that it will be installed before the end of the week!

As soon as I have my connection we can get to work!

Thanks and sorry!
;)

Tigerplug

Awesome! Glad to see ur still alive! We can use the new Wordpress 2.5! Its pretty nice! I just installed it yesterday on my personal blog. :guitar:

days_of_ruin
March 31st, 2008, 02:39 AM
Glad we're going ahead with it :D

I checked out blogbuntu.com (cool name,easy to remember) and it looks nice ;)

:):)It was my idea!:):):lolflag:

tigerplug
April 9th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Awesome! Glad to see ur still alive! We can use the new Wordpress 2.5! Its pretty nice! I just installed it yesterday on my personal blog. :guitar:

Just installing 2.5 now!
It looks cool.

So anyway - is there anyway that we can agree on a meeting time etc... maybe this Saturday (or some time we can all meet)?

Im GMT but I will be up until about 3am :)

EXCiD3
April 9th, 2008, 01:22 AM
ill be home for the weekend with my dialup but i think i should be able to make it. #BlogMeet on IRC right?

tigerplug
April 9th, 2008, 01:31 AM
ill be home for the weekend with my dialup but i think i should be able to make it. #BlogMeet on IRC right?

Yup #blogmeet

Your on my MSN right? --- LOL I think I was talking to your GF earlier.
If not then add my MSN and AIM so you can get me.

AIM: guitargod501

tigerplug
April 9th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Ok guys 2.5 is now installed.

Post here any updates on meeting or anything.

Cheers,

Tigerplug

EXCiD3
April 9th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Cool! You have any specific time planned? We should probably get a list of plugins we will want to use and theme ideas. Try to think of topics we will need to cover at the meeting so we can get this organized nicely.

Gen2ly
April 9th, 2008, 07:18 AM
We could have landed on the moon by the time this blog gets started.

:) :) :)

tigerplug
April 9th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Cool! You have any specific time planned? We should probably get a list of plugins we will want to use and theme ideas. Try to think of topics we will need to cover at the meeting so we can get this organized nicely.

How about Saturday at 7PM GMT?

Yeah I'll come up with some plugins I like. You guys do the same!

tigerplug
April 9th, 2008, 10:52 PM
We could have landed on the moon by the time this blog gets started.

:) :) :)

And rome wasn't built in a day ;)

Joeb454
April 10th, 2008, 12:03 AM
No it was built in half a day ;)

tigerplug
April 10th, 2008, 11:12 PM
and good things come to those who wait ;)

EXCiD3
April 14th, 2008, 01:51 AM
How was the meeting? Sadly i couldnt make it. :(

AlbinoButt
April 15th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I had a similar idea to yours, tigerplug. I stumbled on this thread and decided to let all of you know about it.

It isn't competition to what you're planning on doing, but it has a similar theme.

The site is up, running, and ready for anyone who wants to contribute. If you're interested, check it out here:

-- I removed this because I don't want to step on tigerplug's toses :) --

:guitar:

Thanks, everyone

Oh, btw, the DNS entries might need time to propogate, so if you can't reach the site yet then that's why.

Xavieran
April 15th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Eh...cool...don't worry about me with regards to wordpress plugins and themes etc.

I will just contribute with article...

Which is done...and after maybe 2 months?

defenestratos
April 15th, 2008, 08:59 AM
What a shameless piece of self promotion...oh well good on you.

AlbinoButt
April 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM

I sincerely hope that it doesn't come off in a bad way. I value this community so much and wanted to give back the way that I know how.

Xavieran
April 15th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Don't worry...:D
Your site looks pretty cool and I must admit that an email address at bostarmers.com is pretty enticeing ;)

AlbinoButt
April 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Don't worry...:D
Your site looks pretty cool and I must admit that an email address at bostarmers.com is pretty enticeing ;)

Thanks! Anyone who's ready to start posting can do so already (things will look plain for a while until the design is complete). Depending on how many people there are you could also get your own subdomain that redirects to your blog.

Just throwing ideas out there, but all the ubuntu-related things you want to post can go on the front page and you could have a separate, personal blog located on another page.

Gen2ly
April 16th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I wrote a couple wordpress tips blogs just for you guys ;)

http://linuxtidbits.wordpress.com/2008/04/14/wordpress-tips/
http://linuxtidbits.wordpress.com/2008/04/15/wordpress-tips-2/

tigerplug
April 16th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Hey guys,

I just setup all the Blogbuntu Accounts (If I have left anyone out please PM me ASAP!)

The following users should have received a PM from me with relevant details:

Joeb454
brennydoogles
Cochise
days_of_ruin
DrSmall
EXCiD3
nikoPSK
Xavieran

Everyone now has an email address of "yourusername"@blogbuntu.com

My email is shane at blogbuntu dot com

There is also a mailing list which includes all staff:
staff at blogbuntu dot com

If you send a message to this email address we all receive it.

You can also use these mail accounts to sign into Google Talk instant messenger.

;)

Rock on! :guitar:

Im just installing some plugins right now I will post a list of installed plugins in the next hour or so and you guys can suggest more.

Cheers,

Tigerplug

tigerplug
April 16th, 2008, 01:02 AM

Couldn't agree more.

I sincerely hope that it doesn't come off in a bad way. I value this community so much and wanted to give back the way that I know how.

I sincerely hope you realise that this is just bad form.

Firstly by hijacking the thread and secondly by well using the same idea in the thread.

Thanks! Anyone who's ready to start posting can do so already (things will look plain for a while until the design is complete). Depending on how many people there are you could also get your own subdomain that redirects to your blog (for example, http://xavieran.bostarmers.org)

Just throwing ideas out there, but all the ubuntu-related things you want to post can go on the front page (http://www.bostarmers.org) and you could have a separate, personal blog located on another page.

Please start your own thread.

tigerplug
April 16th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I have just installed a few plugins.

Those of you that have a blogbuntu account (that I mentioned in the last post) can check out the list here:

http://docs.google.com/a/blogbuntu.com/Doc?id=dgkrvc5p_0ffq95qc8

You will have to login to view the list.

Feel free to edit the list and post a link back here.

You can view more plugins here:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/

I''d love to hear some suggestions.

If any of you have suggestions on themes either that would be great!

Can any of you create themes?

Joeb454
April 16th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I think nikoPSK can create themes :)

tigerplug
April 16th, 2008, 01:55 AM
I think nikoPSK can create themes :)

Yeah I remember he mentioned something about that before.

I wonder when he'll be on again. He's not around as often as he use to be.

Dr Small
April 16th, 2008, 03:26 AM
You will have to catch niko on MSN or at ACC Forums, if you wish to contact him:
http://grubbn.com/acc/index.php

Dr Small

Gen2ly
April 16th, 2008, 07:26 AM
doublepost

:lolflag:

Gen2ly
April 16th, 2008, 07:30 AM
hmm, nice going all. Glad this in now off the ground. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

I've been blogging for six months now and have enjoyed it alot, blogging is alot of fun.

I have discovered some good tips while learning Wordpress. Should do with learning the basics.

Hope this helps.

AlbinoButt
April 16th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Couldn't agree more.

I sincerely hope you realise that this is just bad form.

Firstly by hijacking the thread and secondly by well using the same idea in the thread.

Please start your own thread.

tigerplug, I'm extremely sorry for stepping on your toes by hijacking your thread. You're doing a great job and I mean that.

I saw a thread titled "Starting a Ubuntu Blog" and didn't think it through. I had been working on this for a while and didn't know that I was replicating your hard work until reading through the thread in detail.

I'll gladly donate my bostarmers domains to you if you want them (but I doubt you would, since you already have yours).

tigerplug
April 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM
You will have to catch niko on MSN or at ACC Forums, if you wish to contact him:
http://grubbn.com/acc/index.php

Dr Small

Will though that actually!

hmm, nice going all. Glad this in now off the ground. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

I've been blogging for six months now and have enjoyed it alot, blogging is alot of fun.

I have discovered some good tips while learning Wordpress. Should do with learning the basics.

Hope this helps.

Cool, thanks ;)

Just to update I have to head out for the day :( Im working on a site for a client so I gotta go take pictures etc.

Anyway, should be back on about 7pm GMT (if not before that) - Gonna add some more stuff and work on some posts.

Laterz,

Tigerplug

tigerplug
April 16th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Oh yeah I was thinking that maybe we can have an about page.

With sort of like a Bio on each one of us ... or just an introduction.... or whatever.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Tigerplug

EXCiD3
April 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Also we could use a list of all the contributors personal blogs to add to the blogroll. :)

days_of_ruin
April 16th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Yah its up!
*must not abuse admin powers*

Dr Small
April 17th, 2008, 01:41 AM
That sounds like an excellent idea.

EXCiD3
April 17th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Also if everyone would gladly add a link to http://blogbuntu.com in their signatures that would also get us some much needed traffic! :)

Dr Small
April 17th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Signature is full, but I'll see if I can't remove the Linux User Number.

tigerplug
April 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Also we could use a list of all the contributors personal blogs to add to the blogroll. :)

Thats a great idea I think!

Hmm... I need to get my blog back online also :)

brennydoogles
June 1st, 2008, 06:35 AM
Will it be back up anytime soon?

EXCiD3
June 1st, 2008, 11:33 PM
Yeah he said it wouldnt be too long before he gets it back up. I talked to him for a split sec the other day. Maybe a week or two.

brennydoogles
June 2nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah he said it wouldnt be too long before he gets it back up. I talked to him for a split sec the other day. Maybe a week or two.

Sweet.. I was wondering about that.

Barriehie
June 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
I guess we'll all have to come to an agreement on it.

Who else is in?

What you think about the best way to collaborate? - MSN Messenger? - Any other suggestions?

I'ld like to help! Although a noob I'm sure I'll get over it... :)

Barrie

EXCiD3
June 3rd, 2008, 02:57 AM
I'ld like to help! Although a noob I'm sure I'll get over it... :)

Barrie

Haha, well once we get this up and running again, im sure everyone would love you to join. We had a fair amount of posts, but we could always use new writers. :)

tigerplug
July 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Unfortunately after having alot of problems with the last webhost I have moved the site but I have no time to maintain it anymore.

If anyone would like to take charge of this I can supply you with the domain name and leave it on my personal hosting.

Anyone interested just let me know.

PM or GoogleTalk on shane at shanekillian dot net

Thanks,

Tigerplug

P.S - Sorry for the extreme lack of communication!

keiichidono
July 8th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I was thinking about doing this, i'll go ahead and do it then. :D

tigerplug
July 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Cool I'll set you up with FTP/mySQL and wordpress access you can take care of it.

Thanks!

HansKisaragi
July 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I just setup a blog earlier today .. I was thinking of dedicating it to Linux .. Everybody is welcome to join.

Url is http://hatenkou.net/

keiichidono
July 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I'm pretty new to this so if you wanna collab and merge that would be great. :D BTW, is that image on the blog from Shippuuden 64-65?

tigerplug
July 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Just sent you a PM calvin.

keiichidono
July 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Got it, replied.

HansKisaragi
July 8th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Sure, it would be awesome if we could cloab on this..

My hosting is pretty awesome, have had no downtime in the 2 years iv had it.

For the record i got 1,500 Gigs Storage and 15,000 Gigs Data Transfer on mine.

About the pic, yeah if my memory serves me right. :3

btw .. my msn is zoracite@gmail.com

keiichidono
July 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I have quite a lot to blog about and i also have 2 linux guides that i want to put up, so i should be pretty busy for a while. :D PM me or add me on MSN so we can discuss a colab further.

tigerplug
July 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Sure, it would be awesome if we could cloab on this..

My hosting is pretty awesome, have had no downtime in the 2 years iv had it.

For the record i got 1,500 Gigs Storage and 15,000 Gigs Data Transfer on mine.

About the pic, yeah if my memory serves me right. :3

btw .. my msn is zoracite@gmail.com

Go ahead... I've sent Calvin Details and set him up as an admin.

tigerplug
July 8th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Calvin check pm for config link.

HansKisaragi
July 8th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I have quite a lot to blog about and i also have 2 linux guides that i want to put up, so i should be pretty busy for a while. :D PM me or add me on MSN so we can discuss a colab further.

Iv added you to msn now :)

keiichidono
July 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Calvin check pm for config link.
Just set it up and logged in. :D

Iv added you to msn now :)
Alright, i've added you too. :D