PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing Slackware 12.0 like second OS

b0rka7a
January 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Okay, I want to make Slackware 12.0 my second OS. I've just got a second hard drive and I'm afraid that if I install Slackware on it and after that I want to remove it for some reason, I'll not be able to boot my Ubuntu :confused: Can someone help me with that problem ?

Edit: And I also want to know how to install ssh and vnc servers so I can control my pc from everywhere
Thanks in advance!

MonctonJohn
January 15th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Hi.

When you install Slackware it will ask you if you want to install lilo. Just skip the installation of lilo and you should be able to boot Ubuntu just fine.

fish2ways
January 15th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Hi
You should have no problems installing Slackware either on a seperate hard drive or partition.
You can choose to either let Slack install the Lilo boot loader which you will be able to add your Ubuntu install to. Or choose not to install a bootloader at all when asked during the Slackware install, then add Slack to your Ubuntu /boot/grub//menu.lst.
It's up to you.
If you subsequently remove Slackware it won't make any difference to your Ubuintu install. Just edit either Lilo or grub to remove Slackware.
Read the Slackware documentation before you install.
Best of luck, Slackware is excellent and you'll learn a lot.

b0rka7a
January 15th, 2008, 09:13 PM
That is what I did:
I detached my HDD with Ubuntu and left only the empty HDD. Next I installed Slackware on it and when the installation asked me to install LILO I chose No. After I rebooted, an error appeared:

GRUB Loading...
Error 13 (or 15)...
(I don't remember the number of the error)
I attached my Ubuntu HDD with the Slackware HDD and booted in Ubuntu. Now I have to add Slackware in /boot/grub/menu.lst, but I don't know what to type in it :(
Here's content of the file now:

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=976bf8ec-b1b3-40e2-858f-71925b78352d ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=976bf8ec-b1b3-40e2-858f-71925b78352d ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
I see Slackware as /media/disk (/) and /media/disk-1 (/home).
In GParted, the Slackware HDD is shown as /dev/sdb.
Any help would be appreciated!

*Edit: Yep, the error is 15:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 15
According to the GNU GRUB Manual (http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Stage1_002e5-errors) this error is:
15 : File not found
This error is returned if the specified file name cannot be found, but everything else (like the disk/partition info) is OK.

b0rka7a
January 17th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I deleted Slackware cause I don't like it. I had too much problems with it :) Now I'm back to Ubuntu.
Thanks for the answers ;)

kellemes
January 17th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I deleted Slackware cause I don't like it. I had too much problems with it :)

Nah.. Slackware had problems with you!
This is the way it gose so often, Slackware needs to like you (the user) in order to be tamed.. :)

b0rka7a
January 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Nah.. Slackware had problems with you!
This is the way it gose so often, Slackware needs to like you (the user) in order to be tamed.. :)

hmm... maybe :D :lolflag:

Antman
January 17th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I deleted Slackware cause I don't like it. I had too much problems with it :) Now I'm back to Ubuntu.
Thanks for the answers ;)

You should have tried Zenwalk before going back to Ubuntu. It's based on Slackware but makes things a little easier.

They are getting things ready to roll for the new version 5 release, so some of the download links aren't 100% functional yet, but give it a try if you still want to go with a slackware distro.

b0rka7a
January 17th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I installed SuSE :) It's also based on Slackware and it's also user-friendly ;)

Antman
January 17th, 2008, 10:42 PM

I think Suse is more akin to Redhat now then Slackware. But it too is a good distro... Once it goes to version 11 I will definitely try it again.

Edit:
This is interesting; I didn't know Suse's full history in regards to it's slackware roots. I was reading a wiki on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE

andrew.46
January 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Sorry to hear of your trouble with my favourite distro:

There is an old saying: 'Slackware is actually very user friendly, it is just very picky about who it makes friends with'.

I have your setup in reverse, I have Slackware on hda1 and Feisty on hda3 with the following lilo.conf:

# Default boot is Slackware 12:
image = /boot/vmlinuz-generic-smp-2.6.21.5-smp
initrd = /boot/initrd.gz
root = /dev/hda1
label = Slackware
read-only
# Secondary boot is Ubuntu Feisty:
other = /dev/hda3
label = Feisty
table = /dev/hdaThis is the Lilo version of chainloading where Feisty is selected by Lilo but loaded by Grub, which I installed in hda3 rather than the MBR. Or in Grub-speak: (hd0,2).

Just another way of doing things :-)

Andrew