PDA

View Full Version : analog piracy?

900donuts
January 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM
i was wandering what constitutes piracy when dealing with analog technology are the rules different than with digital? is this piracy? http://gadgets.qj.net/How-to-Pirate-a-Vinyl-Record/pg/49/aid/39381

thank in advance:)

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2008, 05:32 PM
the D in DMCA means digital, so this should be protected

900donuts
January 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
so copying analog stuff for backups is legal how about converting analog to digital or visa versa

p_quarles
January 15th, 2008, 08:44 PM
It's not "piracy" to make a backup of something you've purchased legally, and the law in the U.S. specifically states that audio can be backed up to a digital format. The only case in which making a copy for backup purposes is legally questionable is with copy protection, such as the kind found on most commercial DVDs.

There are USB turntables available if you want to backup your vinyl collection, and not have to mess around with molding your own.

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2008, 08:53 PM
It's not "piracy" to make a backup of something you've purchased legally

tell that to the riaa who thinks that coping a cd is piracy

p_quarles
January 15th, 2008, 08:57 PM
tell that to the riaa who thinks that coping a cd is piracy
They also seem to think that suing their own customers for damages that scare them into ponying up out of court settlements is a valid business tactic. Go figure.

Yeah, spokespersons for the RIAA have said that in a couple of court hearings, but the law is pretty clear.

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM
They also seem to think that suing their own customers for damages that scare them into ponying up out of court settlements is a valid business tactic. Go figure.

Yeah, spokespersons for the RIAA have said that in a couple of court hearings, but the law is pretty clear.

FSM bless america

Æniad
January 15th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Who cares? The odds of any legal action being taken against you are almost nonexistent.

900donuts
January 17th, 2008, 04:44 PM
what about the visa versa i said above like backing up dvd onto vhs

p_quarles
January 17th, 2008, 05:25 PM
what about the visa versa i said above like backing up dvd onto vhs
Why would you want to do that? In any case, I believe that would be legal under the DMCA, since using a VCR to record the output of a DVD requires no cracking of copy protection. But, there are clearly better sources for legal advice than UF.org.

forrestcupp
January 17th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Why would you want to do that? In any case, I believe that would be legal under the DMCA, since using a VCR to record the output of a DVD requires no cracking of copy protection. But, there are clearly better sources for legal advice than UF.org.

Actually there is copy protection for that, too. Most DVD/VCR all in one machines won't allow you to copy a protected DVD onto tape. Also, even if you hook a DVD player up to a separate VCR, they have ways to weaken the signal so that what gets recorded onto the tape is crap. I don't know how it works, but it does.

Bungo Pony
January 17th, 2008, 07:05 PM
The guy who wrote that article should've put sound samples of the copied LP. My bet is it sounds like crap.

Also, even if you hook a DVD player up to a separate VCR, they have ways to weaken the signal so that what gets recorded onto the tape is crap. I don't know how it works, but it does.

They encode something into the video signal to mess up your copy. It's called Macrovision, and I hate it. I tried to back up an old Disney VHS tape onto DVD. I couldn't do it on either a standalone DVD recorder, nor through my video capture card.

You can buy decoders that strip it out, but good ones can be a bit pricey.

900donuts
January 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM

vhs is an example I'm not asking if its practical i'm asking if its legal and as to asking for legal advise on UF.org i don't like having to sing up for and remember the passwords for 1000 different forums and i don't like email

zipperback
January 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM
i was wandering what constitutes piracy when dealing with analog technology are the rules different than with digital? is this piracy? http://gadgets.qj.net/How-to-Pirate-a-Vinyl-Record/pg/49/aid/39381

thank in advance:)

HEH.... Old School Records... :) Nice.

I used to have a lot of old records.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

900donuts
January 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM
heres the wiki entry for macrovision check out the section on rip guard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrovision

KiwiNZ
January 17th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Check the laws as they apply in your country