PDA

View Full Version : Woo hoo!! Back online thanks to Ubuntu!!!

TorqueyPete
January 15th, 2008, 01:32 PM
That's it!
That's me 50% converted back to linux and this time it's Ubuntu.
I lost my connection when Virgin Media had a several day outage a while back. But when all was supposed to be sorted, I could not go online with this , my main PC.
Messed around for ages and days, ending up being off line for nearly 3 weeks!! :mad::mad::mad:
Spent money calling tech support just to have them tell me I had a trojan. Well I already knew that,
So I bought a secondhand PC plus bits and bobs. put a cheap NIC in it and hey presto.
My connection worked. I downloaded all the right applications as recommended by the good folks at bleepingcomputer dot com and cleaned this machine right out. Found DNS hijacks and everything. all should have been sorted, but even though I could see a connection the damn thing never could find an IP address.
I thought to heck with this, and ordered an Ubuntu CD. Stuck that in after sorting the drive priorities, plugged my cable modem back in and here I am.
Soon as I find out how to transfer my files and pictures, I'll never go back to M$ again!

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM
"it just works"

brunovecchi
January 15th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Welcome :)

Shotgun25
January 15th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Nice to know.

At least ubuntu just detects and allows you to use almost any hardware, usually without problems.

Welcome :)

ARhere
January 15th, 2008, 03:50 PM
=D> Awesome!

Not trying to be the Devils Advocate, but every OS has its issues. When you run into Ubuntu issues please come back here and we will try to help!
Remember to use the www.ubuntuguide.org resource as well!

Happy Linux day!
-AR

TorqueyPete
January 16th, 2008, 01:03 PM
:)
Thanks for the replys people. Oh, did I mention that M$ have just hijacked my browser in the other PC? They want me to install int ex 7, and since I've been refusing it in the auto updates, they tell me about it every time I surf!

TO HELL WITH MICROSOFT I SAY! :mad:

Johnsie
January 16th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Ubuntu is good at some things and bad at others but it's really easy to find help on these forums and in #Ubuntu in the XChat appication :-)

Linuxratty
January 17th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I'm always so glad ,when I read stories like that, that i use Linux...
Welcome aboard!