PDA

View Full Version : crazy exploding cd

swoll1980
January 15th, 2008, 07:23 AM
My windows driver cd just exploded in the drive I was doing some routine computing and out of no where KABOOM!! the cd just exploded I cant get it open I'm going to have to take it apart to asses the damage. I can see little pieces of glitter in there so I know it exploded. it least it was the cd and not the drive its self. Have you ever heard of anything like this before like this?

tgalati4
January 15th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Even CD media can't stand Windows.

If the centripetal forces inside the CD media exceed the material strength of the plastic, then yes it will fly apart. The actual strength of the material and the anticipated loads are left to the student to compute.

I think some CD's are heat-treated, like tempered glass. This allows the disk to maintain its shape. The downside is that there is residual tension inside the disk which can cause it to shatter like auto glass. Of course if it happens inside a CD drive then you are screwed twice.

Praadur
January 15th, 2008, 07:34 AM
My Garou character really wants to claim that this is down to a Net Spider finding te contents of the CD objectionable, and therefore casting them out of the electronic World.

The more likely solution however is that the disc itself was flawed, and this flaw caused it to lose its shape and therefore 'explode' in an environment where high heat and speeds are mixed. For more information, here's a page regarding an insane CD experiment (http://www.powerlabs.org/cdexplode.htm).

-

Oops, I thought I'd be the first to share insightful information on this topic. Oh well. That'll teach me not to type so bloody much.

blithen
January 15th, 2008, 07:35 AM
That's intense! How high in the air did you jump? : P

SunnyRabbiera
January 15th, 2008, 08:08 AM
what did you do to the CD though???
pop it in the microwave or something crazy like on mythbusters?

jrusso2
January 15th, 2008, 08:13 AM
When they did it on mythbusters they had to use an electric drill motor to get it going fast enough.

So I am thinking the disc was damaged or defective.

swoll1980
January 15th, 2008, 08:25 AM
That's intense! How high in the air did you jump? : P

I literately leaked a small amount of urine in my pants! This thing was like a foot away from my head. scared the **** out of me

SunnyRabbiera
January 15th, 2008, 08:37 AM
When they did it on mythbusters they had to use an electric drill motor to get it going fast enough.

So I am thinking the disc was damaged or defective.

same here.

swoll1980
January 15th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I don't know what the hell happend. My cd drive will not stay shut now. It will close then open a tiny bit close again then open all the way this same thing happens every time I close it. It looks fine I got all the pieces out of it. any Idea what could be making it do this?

Circus-Killer
January 15th, 2008, 08:50 AM
yes, the exact same thing happened to me.
apparrently its quite common.

as for your drive, well, i had to replace mine. anyways, do you really wanna trust a drive that has plastic shards flying around loose inside.

koleoptero
January 15th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I'd use the vacuum cleaner if I were you to suck out all the little pieces. But most probably, even if the door thing is fixed, the eye of the drive will have residue on its track and therefore won't work properly.

I'd buy a new one and then sue Microsoft for the damage.

TorqueyPete
January 15th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Hmm, I'd not considered this before. So if my CD drive says 56x and a CD says 25x or 2x-40x, does the drive know about the maximum for the CD? It seems not if they are sometimes disintergating!

LOL! I need to check out youtube now for more videos of this! :)

3rdalbum
January 15th, 2008, 12:05 PM
The Mythbusters didn't use pressed CDs, they used CD-Rs. I believe that was the failure of their experiment.

CD-ROM drives spin CDs far more quickly than they need to, and some CDs either have defects or are cheap and not built to last.

A friend of mine got an EXTREMELY rare demo copy of the (then forthcoming) Spice Girls third album. It fell victim to such a CD drive. That disc probably would have been worth a thousand dollars to someone at the time, and might've even been worth a lot today.

Tom Mann
January 15th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I've seen this twice, both with recordable CDs with audio burned onto them. We took the CD drive apart, emptied the dust/cd bits out, gave it a vacuum et voila! One working CD drive.

Oh and check this out:

CDs and a Dremel (http://gprime.net/video.php/dremelcd)

Nunu
January 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Happens with car radios when the car is parked in direct sunlight for long periods of time... Or so i have heard. But don't think an exploding CD is that uncommon. You are lucky though in mythbusters the CD actually penetrated the guys (Buster the dummy) neck severing his jugular or however it is spelled :)

swoll1980
January 15th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I got it vacumed out. looks brand new but door wont stay shut. oh well off to Micro Center I
go