kool_kat_os
January 15th, 2008, 01:10 AM
How do I make a distro of linux......?

kool_kat_os
January 15th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Im sure someone know how.

Amstell
January 15th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I believe what you have to do is create an installer for the specific things you want on the distro.

Installing the Boot manager, installing the kernal, etc. etc. Takes quite a bit of programming I'm sure.

Plus there are already so man distro's out there.....why not improve on one of them.

Cheers

Amstel

sumguy231
January 15th, 2008, 01:32 AM
If you're interested in learning more about how a complete Linux system is put together (and have a LOT of free time) then building a Linux From Scratch system (I recommend doing this in a virtual machine, by the way) is a good idea:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
It's basically a free online book which tells you how to make a system from scratch. I recommend using their LiveCD as a host system so you don't have to worry about gathering all the requirements.

No actual coding necessary but in "real life" so to speak most distros do have programmers to fix bugs in upstream software packages and contribute to them.

kool_kat_os
January 15th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I want to improve ubuntu and then make and iso of the imploved version......how would i accomplish this?

~LoKe
January 15th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I want to improve ubuntu and then make and iso of the imploved version......how would i accomplish this?

Improved in which sense? There are development teams who work on this and only this and release a version every 6 months. Not that I doubt your abilities, but could you really exceed that?

But if you insist on doing this...then you could always break down a LiveCD and make your changes, then rebuild it.

kool_kat_os
January 15th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Improved in which sense? There are development teams who work on this and only this and release a version every 6 months. Not that I doubt your abilities, but could you really exceed that?

But if you insist on doing this...then you could always break down a LiveCD and make your changes, then rebuild it.

of course not:).....I just want to customize it.

JBAlaska
January 15th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Have a look at this link;
http://ubuntusoftware.info/faq.html#distro

It explains the use of Reconstructor to customize a linux distro and produce a ISO.