PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I need someone artistic

barbedsaber
January 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I had an idea for a picture to stick on to ubuntu cd's, but I have NO idea how to use the gimp, i;m too used to photoshop, but I really want to give more profecional looking ubuntu cd's than the ones that have ubuntu written on them with black texta. (light scribe is out of the question.)

the idea is, the ubuntu logo taking up most of the cd, and the text "Ubuntu version 7.10 a.k.a gutsy gibbon released october 2007." written on the top third bit of the logo. and then on the left circle bit (furthest to the left) a small picture of tux, and then on that third of the logo, "Linux kernall no X.XX whatever the number is." and finnaly, on the bottem circle but, the gnome foot thing, and the gnome version number on that third of the logo.

I'm sorry thats so confusing.

Somewhere we would have to include iso i386 sutible for pentium, celeron or whatever, and possibly a picture of a gibbon.

I tried to do this myself, but I really have no idea about the gimp, and I am not very artistic anyway.

would somone please contribute!

anaconda
January 14th, 2008, 01:31 PM
have you tried using Krita.

It is much more like photoshop.

But even krita wont help if you aren't artistic..

ZapalacX
January 14th, 2008, 02:09 PM
gimpshop

Nevon
January 14th, 2008, 02:46 PM
If you could make a crude drawing, I suppose I could take a crack at it. But since it's supposed to be printed (I guess), wouldn't it be better to be able to use the CMYK color model? If I'm not mistaken, you can't use that in GIMP. How about Inkscape?
But anyway, just make a sketch for us.

Ebuntor
January 14th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm giving it a try. It's about halfway done by now.

In about an hour or two it's finished and I'll post it.

Ebuntor
January 14th, 2008, 07:47 PM
As promised here is the logo, I was a little busy so it took a bit longer than expected.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=56461&stc=1&d=1200336089

I didn't include the "released october 2007" part because the version number, 7.10, already indicates the release date.
The picture of the monkey is the official Gusty Gibbon image.
I wanted to use the Ubuntu Title font but it is unreadable if I made it too small so I used Sans.

Hope you like it, I can make some changes if you want.

Ebuntor
January 19th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Just bumping this thread to ask what the OP thinks of the logo I made.

el_ricardo
January 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM
surely the text should follow the circle?

I don't think GIMP, or any linux graphics package will ever become as good as the adobe creative suite package, and i find it annoying that people feel they have to use GIMP, inkscape, xara etc to create graphics for opensource projects, I'm a graphics student, there's no rules on what software we use, but i'd never even think about using an opensource graphics package to do a project!

....xara is pretty good though lol

now let the flaming begin

Ebuntor
January 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM
surely the text should follow the circle?

That's what I did at first but it distorted the text too much and it became too unreadable. Anyway that's up to the OP to decide. The image is just a beta version, just to get an idea what the OP wanted.

I don't think GIMP, or any linux graphics package will ever become as good as the adobe creative suite package, and i find it annoying that people feel they have to use GIMP, inkscape, xara etc to create graphics for opensource projects, I'm a graphics student, there's no rules on what software we use, but i'd never even think about using an opensource graphics package to do a project!

....xara is pretty good though lol

now let the flaming beginFirst, what makes you think I made this in GIMP?
Second, why hijack the whole thread and turn it into a open source graphics editor vs Photoshop discussion? It doesn't have anything to the with the OP's request. There's more than enough GIMP vs Photoshop flamefests on this forum.

Besides, if I did make it in GIMP, so what? That's my decision and if it gets the job done for me why should Photoshop be better?

el_ricardo
January 19th, 2008, 04:12 PM
dude, i wasn't ridiculing you, or anyone else in my post, and i wasn't trying to hijack the thread, my photoshop vs GIMP rant was just a side note that ended up taking up the majority of my post, although i can see why someone would see it as offtopic tbh

Ebuntor
January 19th, 2008, 04:13 PM
dude, i wasn't ridiculing you, or anyone else in my post, and i wasn't trying to hijack the thread, my photoshop vs GIMP rant was just a side note that ended up taking up the majority of my post, although i can see why someone would see it as offtopic tbh

I see, ok sorry, slight miscommunication. :)

barbedsaber
January 20th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Hey everyone, my name is mr original poster, and that image is EXACTLY WHAT I MENT! it is just perfect thank you thank you thank you it is awsome.

Seriously, I can't thank you enough.
I just decided to get a better printer than the one I was originaly planing on getting, so that I can make copies of that, and am going to get some cd lables to print on tommorow.

One tiny little ting tho, could you possibly make the text curved, so that it follows the circle. but who am I to complain. THANK YOU!

oh, and bump.

Ebuntor
January 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hey everyone, my name is mr original poster, and that image is EXACTLY WHAT I MENT! it is just perfect thank you thank you thank you it is awsome.

Seriously, I can't thank you enough.
I just decided to get a better printer than the one I was originaly planing on getting, so that I can make copies of that, and am going to get some cd lables to print on tommorow.

One tiny little ting tho, could you possibly make the text curved, so that it follows the circle. but who am I to complain. THANK YOU!

oh, and bump.

You're welcome. About the curved text, as I mentioned in a previous post I found that it became somewhat unreadable. I'll give it a shot and try a different technique to make it curved.

EDIT: I'm very busy today so I'll prolly have some time to make it tomorrow. :)

barbedsaber
January 21st, 2008, 06:07 AM
Two tiny little things that I just thourght of, it proboly needs the text

Ubuntu, linux for human beings.

and iso (insert number here) suitible for (insert procceser here)

dont know where you would put that text though.

just a thought.

sorry about the spelling, I am working on my touch typing.

Ebuntor
January 21st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Here it is, version 2 with curved text. I didn't quite understand what you mean by "iso number" and the "suitable for systems....." line became so long I just didn't have room for it.

Hope the text is still readable, as I mentioned in a previous post curved text gets distorted a bit. Getting all the text positioned was an absolute pain in the @$$.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=57142&d=1200944483

glotz
January 21st, 2008, 08:57 PM
That's a nice sketch. What program(s) did you use?

Ebuntor
January 21st, 2008, 08:59 PM
That's a nice sketch. What program(s) did you use?

Thank you. Nothing special, just GIMP. I'm a long time Photoshop user so switching to GIMP was pretty easy. :)

sujoy
January 21st, 2008, 09:07 PM
:confused:a silly question probably, but if i print it out on a paper, how do I stick it on the disc? :confused: Just using gum? won't it cause any trouble or damage the disc in any way ?

Ebuntor
January 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
:confused:a silly question probably, but if i print it out on a paper, how do I stick it on the disc? :confused: Just using gum? won't it cause any trouble or damage the disc in any way ?

Yes it will certainly damage the disc. I had to learn that the hard way after gluing lots of cd's.
The only safe way I know of is to use a special printer that can print cd's. Unfortunately printers like those are pretty expensive (at least they were when I bought one).

popch
January 21st, 2008, 09:20 PM
There are circular pre-punched self adhesive labels roughly the size of a CD. Some stores also sell thingies which you can use to center the label.

Having said that, I do not use them for fear of damaging the CD drive. The faster ones spin the CD awfully fast, and the slightest unbalance might ruin the bearings.

sujoy
January 21st, 2008, 09:47 PM
Yes it will certainly damage the disc. I had to learn that the hard way after gluing lots of cd's.
The only safe way I know of is to use a special printer that can print cd's. Unfortunately printers like those are pretty expensive (at least they were when I bought one).

There are circular pre-punched self adhesive labels roughly the size of a CD. Some stores also sell thingies which you can use to center the label.

Having said that, I do not use them for fear of damaging the CD drive. The faster ones spin the CD awfully fast, and the slightest unbalance might ruin the bearings.

well then I am better off with the shipit discs.(looks better than my custom burned ones :) )

Kimm
January 21st, 2008, 09:53 PM
You can use Inkscape (should be easy enough to understand), then use this as a base (on your computer):

/usr/share/icons/Human/scalable/places/distributor-logo.svg

:guitar:

barbedsaber
January 23rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Great job once again, I think it works on celeron processors, well it works on my computer, which has a celeron processor, I think it is made by intel, but I peeled the sticker off ages ago, sorry,
would you be able to make one that says suitable for macs, and one that says suitable for 64 bit pcs. and finally, you might want to consider submiting that to the artwork thingy on the ubuntu website, so that canonical can use it.
(hehe, I don't ask for much do I:):):) )

Ebuntor
January 23rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Great job once again, I think it works on celeron processors, well it works on my computer, which has a celeron processor, I think it is made by intel, but I peeled the sticker off ages ago, sorry,
would you be able to make one that says suitable for macs, and one that says suitable for 64 bit pcs. and finally, you might want to consider submiting that to the artwork thingy on the ubuntu website, so that canonical can use it.
(hehe, I don't ask for much do I:):):) )

ROFL, oh that's not much at all. *slams head through monitor*

Just to be clear about what you're asking. You want me to add to the existing image the celeron processor, a separate picture for Macs and one for 64 bit processors?

If you mean by Mac the PowerPC it is no longer supported.

To be honest I have no idea how I'm gonna fit the Celeron part, only way is to use a smaller font. BTW I didn't include the Celeron processor because I copied the text from the text on the shipit livecd.

barbedsaber
January 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
yes that is what I mean, and I am sure you can install ubuntu on newer macs, like the white emacs, but I will check.

EDIT: oh, wait, mac swapped over to intel chips didn't they, so I guess the "normall" disc would work for them, if so, should that be written on the disc,

"compatible with non power pc macs" or somthing like that?

Ebuntor
January 23rd, 2008, 02:10 PM
I think it will certainly run on the newer Macs because they're just Intel systems.

barbedsaber
January 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
ok then:)

Ebuntor
January 26th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Hi,

Here's another attempt. This is the x86 version, if you like it I'll make a 64-bit version.

Those two lines in the center might be a little crowded. If you'd prefer that I make the text shorter and reduce it to one line I can do that.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3735/ubuntulogofk3.png

barbedsaber
January 28th, 2008, 04:13 AM
thats it! its like seing the picture that I saw in my head, all over again. :guitar:

Ebuntor
January 28th, 2008, 12:38 PM
thats it! its like seing the picture that I saw in my head, all over again. :guitar:

Lol, ok in that case I'll start working on the 64 bit version. :)

barbedsaber
January 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM
then you have to make one for all the other linux distros, lol

(I WAS kidding) :)

Ebuntor
January 29th, 2008, 12:56 PM
then you have to make one for all the other linux distros, lol

(I WAS kidding) :)

Lol, well actually if you were really planning on giving away cd's of all the other distros and using my logo's I'd be more than happy to help. :)

Behold, the 64 bit version.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/92/ubuntulogo64tq4.png

Ebuntor
February 5th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Bumping for the OP.

barbedsaber, now that I finished the 64-bit logo do you want me to make any changes or are they ok?

barbedsaber
February 6th, 2008, 07:20 AM
no there fine, do you want to consider showing them to canonical, im sure they would like them.

Ebuntor
February 6th, 2008, 11:47 AM
no there fine, do you want to consider showing them to canonical, im sure they would like them.

Ok, glad to hear it. Sure, I'll show them to Canonical.

Ebuntor
February 8th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Could you give me a link to where I can donate my logos? I followed the link on ubuntu.com to wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork but unless I'm completely blind there's no page where I can upload them.

barbedsaber
February 9th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Sorry i dont have a clue, MOD, MOD, can you tell us were ebuntor can submit the logo's.

barbedsaber
February 23rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
I found this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DIYMarketing

but I will pm larozza or some other mod, with a link to this thread.

MerciaSEO
March 4th, 2008, 05:43 PM
There are circular avalible pre-punched self adhesive labels roughly the size of a CD. Some stores also sell thingies which you can use to center the label.

This company may be abel to help you out with come custom labels http://www.selfadhesivelabels.com/.