PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Naming conflict in C

fyplinux
January 14th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Hi,

I heard that C++ introduced the idea of namespace to solve the problem of naming conflict. take an example. Mr.A has a function f(), Mr.B has another function but also named f(), Mr.C mustimport both the code of Mr.A and Mr.B, but he only want f() from Mr.B, there would be an error when compiling as there are two f(), how could Mr.C get the right f()?

Is there any mechanism or general approach to solve such a problem with C programming?

kevykev
January 14th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Usually the general approach in C is to prefix all functions with the name of the library being developed. For instance, if you were writing a function f() for the gtk library you would call it gtk_f().

However, if you want to use existing libraries with a naming conflict, you might have no other option but to edit the library code

LaRoza
January 14th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Being careful. The lack of namespaces is not the best situation, but C doesn't have anything by itself that will cause a conflict, there are very few keywords. Just know what you are using when using libraries (the prefixes help)

YourSurrogateGod
January 14th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Usually the general approach in C is to prefix all functions with the name of the library being developed. For instance, if you were writing a function f() for the gtk library you would call it gtk_f().

However, if you want to use existing libraries with a naming conflict, you might have no other option but to edit the library code

Just curious, but would wrapper functions work? That would be my initial approach to such a problem or have I misunderstood something?

kevykev
January 14th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Just curious, but would wrapper functions work? That would be my initial approach to such a problem or have I misunderstood something?

Not sure, but you might be able to create wrapper functions and compile them as a shared library and then link to that...

fyplinux
January 14th, 2008, 10:22 AM

If you want to wrap something, you should know what should be wrapped. the problem seems to be cannot find the target to be wrapped