PDA

View Full Version : OpenSuse CDs, which one to use?

happysmileman
January 13th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I've been meaning to get OpenSuse for a while and decided to start downloading it.

What's the difference between the Live CD and the Base CD in terms of the software included on it? (I'm assuming they can both be used to install it)

And is the software on the proprietary software in the repos as well?

Edit: Sorry, didn't realise there was an OpenSuse subforum, it should be moved there

r4ik
January 13th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Best to get the dvd nice howto 's here,

http://www.softwareinreview.com/linux_optimizations/hacking_opensuse_10.3.html

http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_opensuse10.3

Good luck !

happysmileman
January 13th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Don't have a DVD burner, so if I did get the DVD I'd have to wait at least 2 or 3 weeks to burn it and install, I'm impatient

r4ik
January 13th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Suse has a bit longer install so save some patience :)

http://software.opensuse.org/

Just pick you're flavour

Good luck !

happysmileman
January 13th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Suse has a bit longer install so save some patience :)

I'm moving to it from Gentoo... The install doesn't matter to me, but having it fully downloaded and not being able to start installing it at all would annoy me.

I'm getting the BaseCD, not the LiveCD, since I'm assuming that:

1. More stable (install from LiveCD seems to be fairly new to Suse)
2. More packages (It's bigger than the LiveCD, despite not allowing you to try it out.))

SomeGuyDude
January 14th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Installing off of the LiveCD was awful in my experience. I used the DVD and now everything's dynamite.

happysmileman
January 14th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Installing off of the LiveCD was awful in my experience. I used the DVD and now everything's dynamite.

Well I'm getting the install CD, not the Live CD, so I'm assuming it'd be similar enough to the DVD

MissionImpossible
January 14th, 2008, 07:11 AM
The Install CD and the Live CD are both new innovations for 10.3 and contain exact same software, according to the Live CD release notes. Live CD would be very fast to install, as fast as any current Live CD distro (give or take a few minutes) out there, because its a straight copy of cd image to hdd.

NB: If you allow repo updates during install, depending on the speed of your internet connection, you could be up for a very, very long install session (speaking from a bad experience here)! :-) I would strongly advise that you install first and update later!!!

Cheers

PS: I would recommend the SMART package manager for package management for a home user!

Incense
January 14th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I've been meaning to get OpenSuse for a while and decided to start downloading it.

What's the difference between the Live CD and the Base CD in terms of the software included on it? (I'm assuming they can both be used to install it)

And is the software on the proprietary software in the repos as well?

Edit: Sorry, didn't realise there was an OpenSuse subforum, it should be moved there

The software is pretty much the same, but if you use the normal install rather then the live, you can add the OSS and NON-OSS repo during install, and add as many packages as you want. Just be ready to wait for them to download. :) Yeah, the live disc has a couple issues, but nothing too bad. If you have never used openSUSE before, then you should at least try out the live disc so you can see if you like the look and feel. Have fun!

K.Mandla
January 16th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Moved to OpenSuse discussion arena.