PDA

View Full Version : chep(ish) external dvd burner recommendations

DocForbin
January 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Looking for something ~$75 USD, fast, dual layer, usb 2, and not made by Phillips. Also preferably one I can find on Amazon, gotta gift cert to redeem :)

%hMa@?b<C
January 13th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Pioneer makes the best burners hands down. My gamecube would not read anything until I got a Pioneer 111-D, and thats all that I would ever use to burn disks for my wii.
the Pioneer 112-D is the newer model.
you will not be disappointed
-jeff
edit: oh... external, most external suck. you can just get a external case for the pioneer :p

bufsabre666
January 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM
oh... external, most external suck. you can just get a external case for the pioneer :p

well i wouldnt say they suck, they have comparable speeds to ide, and mine works very well ((just cause its a pioneer in an external case doesnt mean anything =P )) but if you could go internal id say go with a sata drive, it reads at 20, and i dont know the hatred of philips i love my philips drive, ive never had a bad burn ((this is because name brands are usually just repackaged drives, like my philips is pioneer based, i have a hp drive thats nec based))

DocForbin
January 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM
My problem with Phillips is support. I finally gave up trying to get a RMA for a 4 month old drive (a CD exploded in it). It was ridiculous.

DocForbin
January 13th, 2008, 09:54 PM
any other suggestions? I'm considering a used Plextor PX-750UF at Amazon. I also found a refurb Pioneer X122 for $60 with shipping.