PDA

View Full Version : Post count frozen?

xequence
September 18th, 2005, 03:25 AM
I noticed a couple days ago my post count froze at 369. After like 5 posts it went to 370... Hasnt gone past since and ive posted quite a few times.

Does anyone know whats wrong?

poofyhairguy
September 18th, 2005, 03:32 AM
I noticed a couple days ago my post count froze at 369. After like 5 posts it went to 370... Hasnt gone past since and ive posted quite a few times.

Does anyone know whats wrong?

Were you posting in the Community Chat? It no longer counts towards the total.

jdong
September 18th, 2005, 04:07 AM
It's a piece in the overall plan of improving the forums.

xequence
September 18th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Oh, ok ;) And yes, I do most of my posting in community chat.

XDevHald
September 18th, 2005, 04:09 PM
It's a piece in the overall plan of improving the forums.
Yes and I like it this way as it will improve the forums in a huge way :) The Community Chat is an open discussion and should not be counted for posting as it serves no REAL purpose in production of ubuntu's development.

xequence
September 18th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Just incase your wondering (which you arnt) I dont think it is a good idea. People are active on the forums, and they like to see their post count go up... Just because. I have no idea why, I just love having a high post count. Just because someone doesent know how to help people on the absolute beginners board, or know enough to make a howto, or know anything about programming, or anything else about the other boards, and only posts in the community chat doesent mean they shouldent have the satisfaction of a high post count.

Its just... Having a high post count is kind of like a thing to say... I was on this site, and I was really active in everything.

Just my humble, and probably not understandable, opinion :)

XDevHald
September 18th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Just incase your wondering (which you arnt) I dont think it is a good idea. People are active on the forums, and they like to see their post count go up... Just because. I have no idea why, I just love having a high post count. Just because someone doesent know how to help people on the absolute beginners board, or know enough to make a howto, or know anything about programming, or anything else about the other boards, and only posts in the community chat doesent mean they shouldent have the satisfaction of a high post count.

Its just... Having a high post count is kind of like a thing to say... I was on this site, and I was really active in everything.

Just my humble, and probably not understandable, opinion :)

People are active on the forums, and they like to see their post count go up

People are active yes, I myself am more active than almost the staff on this forum, but that is not to make them look bad at all, but they're more active in posting than I am, which is a plus for them, but they do not care about their post count going up, and to be honest with you, that number doesn't mean anything to anyone on this forum. If you're here just to see that number go up that is fine by me, but others don't see it as a matter of something to worry about at all.

A forum is made for bringing people together and to get to know each other and support each other and what they're working for as a group in that forum. Their post count does not show to anyone that they know what they're doing or talking about, yes some are smarter than others with a high post count and some have the lowest post count and are smart than the one with that 17k or 4k post count.

People who are here to support do not focus on that number, it's a support thing they enjoy, not to see that number increase to make them feel better, it's the support that should make you feel better.

Thank You.

jdong
September 18th, 2005, 04:39 PM

Well, that's the thing. Our staff's overall goal is to remove the "post count" aspect altogether, and replace it with a better ranking system which reflects on the user's experience and seniority at the forums.

We'd like, for example, to distinguish between people who are veterans at solving Networking problems vs people who spend all their time in Community Chat discussing the latest slashdot article. I'm not saying that one person is better than the other in that case, but in the context of Bob with a networking question wondering which person with 2000 post counts to trust, a more detailed and contexual ranking system is absolutely more important.

The Community Chat is there as more of a luxury area for users to chill; Our primary function still remains as Canonical, Ltd's primary end-user support channel for Ubuntu Linux, and we have to put that forth as our #1 priority. Surely building unity within our community through casual conversations is an important prerequisite to our #1 priority, but we cannot let it shadow helping users technically.

ADDED:
There is a good chance that post counts will be hidden altogether while we're working on the new trust evaluation system, so don't be surprised if that big number disappears altogether.

By no way are we discouraging users from socializing or being active in non-technical ways around the forum. For example, some of our best advisors are lurkers, who do not say a word but know everything about everyone. Are they ever rewarded by the post count system? We are a unique community, and as a result ordinary "post counts" do not satisfy the needs around here.

xequence
September 18th, 2005, 04:40 PM
No... I am not here to see my post count go up. I must admit, I do like seeing it go up though...

Certainly, I saw someone whose first post here was really smart and helpful. I am proud that I am very active on this site, as I am the type of person who loves forums. I have no idea how to explain it though.

Well, that's the thing. Our staff's overall goal is to remove the "post count" aspect altogether, and replace it with a better ranking system which reflects on the user's experience and seniority at the forums.

We'd like, for example, to distinguish between people who are veterans at solving Networking problems vs people who spend all their time in Community Chat discussing the latest slashdot article. I'm not saying that one person is better than the other in that case, but in the context of Bob with a networking question wondering which person with 2000 post counts to trust, a more detailed and contexual ranking system is absolutely more important.

The Community Chat is there as more of a luxury area for users to chill; Our primary function still remains as Canonical, Ltd's primary end-user support channel for Ubuntu Linux, and we have to put that forth as our #1 priority. Surely building unity within our community through casual conversations is an important prerequisite to our #1 priority, but we cannot let it shadow helping users technically.

Well, that explains it more ;) I understand that more then then just no post count in the community chat.

dcraven
September 18th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I'd love to see the post count system done away with. I think it would contribute to making the forums generally a better quality.

I fully support this move and look forward to your replacement solution. The way things seem to happen in this community (both in forums and the distrobution itself), whatever the solution is will be great!

Cheers,
~djc

kleeman
September 18th, 2005, 06:25 PM

Good idea jdong. I think such a system will help users better evaluate advice. Do you have this information in a historical database btw? It may take some time to build up such discriminating information if you don't....