PDA

View Full Version : Big Screen for Computer?

Presto123
January 13th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I'm currently thinking about buying a 32" or 37" LCD that I want to connect to my video card in place of my 17" flat screen monitor. My Nvidia card already has a default HD connection and would love to have a big screen because I basically use my computer for all my DVD's and other media.

I have been wanting a large screen tv for a while and think this would be a great idea. For me, 32" to 37" would be ideal in my usage. I do drool over the 72" things at Best Buy, though, but they are just way too much for what I really want and can afford.

I intend to buy one at around $500 and they do make some DECENT ones at that price.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

The Noble
January 13th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I'm currently thinking about buying a 32" or 37" LCD that I want to connect to my video card in place of my 17" flat screen monitor. My Nvidia card already has a default HD connection and would love to have a big screen because I basically use my computer for all my DVD's and other media.

I have been wanting a large screen tv for a while and think this would be a great idea. For me, 32" to 37" would be ideal in my usage. I do drool over the 72" things at Best Buy, though, but they are just way too much for what I really want and can afford.

I intend to buy one at around $500 and they do make some DECENT ones at that price.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

The problem is that the resolution will either be too hard on your graphics card or to low for viewing pleasure. I don't know of many screens that go that big that are meant for computing use, but Apple and Dell at least have some large models. I know they can go up to 32 inches, but I never heard of anything bigger.Good luck with the purchase, and make sure you gor for something with quality that pleases the eye.

Presto123
January 13th, 2008, 09:36 AM
The card is a 256MB GeForce 6200 and lists these two specs for resolution:

1. Maximum display resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 85hz
2. Flat-panel display support with resolutions up to 1900 x 1200

chewearn
January 13th, 2008, 10:09 AM
The card is a 256MB GeForce 6200 and lists these two specs for resolution:

1. Maximum display resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 85hz
2. Flat-panel display support with resolutions up to 1900 x 1200

There shouldn't be any problem for nvidia geforce 6200 to drive a big LCD TV. Typically, a computer monitor supports much higher resolution that an LCD TV; the actual screen size doesn't matter, it the number of pixels.

For a LCD TV, you are currently looking at 1280x768 (HD ready) or something like 1680x1080 (full HD). You will not find any higher resolutions at typical consumer price range.

A couple of things to bear in mind (just my opinion, not hard facts; feel free to disagree):

1. My opinion is 1280x768 is too small for ubuntu. Mind, it still works, but I found it annoying that I have to fill the screen with one window only, else you can't see all the info. Some windows are simply too big; you need to move it to click on the ok button at the bottom right.

2. Some manufacturer "cheat". They say it support 1080p. But then you find out that the panel is really 720p, and they downscale the 1080p internally. So read the fine print.

3. Some panels don't have corrrect EDID, or missing info. This might give configuration problem. I look for VGA input as a back-up, which usually works better.

mips
January 13th, 2008, 11:41 AM
It's not going to look good, resolution will be to low. TV's do not and never will compare well to dedicated computer monitors as they were never designed for the same purpose. There is a reason it is only about $500, it's crap!

Rather get yourself a Dell 30" LCD if you want to go big.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=6761&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

aimran
January 13th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Also having to swivel your head a lot to see files on the far side of the screen = uncomfortable.

shafin
January 13th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Also having to swivel your head a lot to see files on the far side of the screen = uncomfortable.
So what do you think would be the ideal size of a computer screen?

bufsabre666
January 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM
i personally like my 19" monitor

but i got 2 17" crts and my tv set up as differnt displays so im used to swiveling my head

mips
January 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM

True but it also depends on how close you sit to the monitor.

Presto123
January 14th, 2008, 01:19 AM
I think the idea right now is not to REPLACE the monitor, but make it a dual-monitor setup using the 32" (or 37") as video/gaming playback.

I would assume from replies here that I would be better to go with a 32". Either way, whichever I buy will be used for something.

~LoKe
January 14th, 2008, 01:34 AM
It's not going to look good, resolution will be to low. TV's do not and never will compare well to dedicated computer monitors as they were never designed for the same purpose. There is a reason it is only about $500, it's crap!
Not true.

The 37" Westinghouse, refurbished or with rebate, is around $500-600. Despite common misconception, the Westy is a monitor, not a T.V. (as it has no tuner).

John.Michael.Kane
January 14th, 2008, 01:39 AM
For reference this is the screen Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1088497) LoKe is referring to, and seems well liked looking at the thread.

c0mput0r
February 1st, 2008, 08:33 AM
yes but the only problem i have with the westinghouse LVM-37w3 is the fact that 7.10 will not detect the display and I can only get 640x480 to show up on it.... so unless you know how to fix that....

davidforehand
February 1st, 2008, 09:30 AM
I have the Westinghouse lvm-47w1 47" monitor. Ubuntu detects it just fine with a resolution of 1920x1080 using a nvidia 8800gts . You might have to change it manually in nvidia-settings. I dont run it on there all the time as I also have a 19" lcd on my desk, but it is great for playing games from my couch or surfing the web if you feel like kicking it back in your lazybo. A keyboard extension cable or wireless is a must.

lnk5700
February 1st, 2008, 12:08 PM
For reference this is the screen Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1088497) LoKe is referring to, and seems well liked looking at the thread.

how can i do that? i have no idea