PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista, Office 2007 Expelled From British Schools

raxso
January 13th, 2008, 06:15 AM
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205602879

This should be followed by our country... they should push more on opensource... may batas na tau para dito pero mabagal ang implementation...

gsiliceo
January 13th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Sadly it will only will be for a while, in 3 years they will be using them anyway. Microsoft will made them cheaper and vista will eventually overtake xp. I think thou that Mac's and 'Nixs will get at least 20% market share. Thats my 20 cents.

eilu
January 13th, 2008, 08:25 AM
wag na natin hintayin ang gobyerno... takes them forever and a day to get things done. Any open-source initiative from them will get hamstrung by political infighting and massive corruption (magkakaroon ng presyo ang free software!)- remember the "digital voter's ID" scandal?

If open source is going anywhere here kailangan tayo na magsimula, at the grassroots/community level (e.g., donate old PC's with puppy/damn small linux/vector linux/xubuntu/edubutu to public schools)

as of now open source is still seen as a fringe movement, confined to a small percentage of the "computer elite"

ragadanga63
January 13th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Last week, I held a FOSS/GNU/Linux seminar for the CS Department of one of the schools in our province. The School Chairman came in late and came when I was showing the capabilities of Ubuntu and FOSS applications.

After the seminar, she approached me and asked how much would the licensing fee for all those be. She was very surprised that everything was for free and that I'm even giving away Ubuntu CD's for them to use and distribute further. Used to the Microsoft way, many of our kababayans do not even know that FOSS exists. We in the know should take it upon ourselves to show this to those in the dark.

The government? Forget it. They just can't do things right.

guren
January 14th, 2008, 06:23 AM
wag na natin hintayin ang gobyerno... takes them forever and a day to get things done. Any open-source initiative from them will get hamstrung by political infighting and massive corruption (magkakaroon ng presyo ang free software!)- remember the "digital voter's ID" scandal?

If open source is going anywhere here kailangan tayo na magsimula, at the grassroots/community level (e.g., donate old PC's with puppy/damn small linux/vector linux/xubuntu/edubutu to public schools)

as of now open source is still seen as a fringe movement, confined to a small percentage of the "computer elite"

i agree.. broadband nga pinag-aawayan.. open-source pa.. dapat leader ng open source movement sa Pinas si Edu Manzano! :lolflag:

Samhain13
January 14th, 2008, 12:09 PM
^Tama! Para wala nang pirata! :D

eilu
January 14th, 2008, 12:29 PM
napipirata ang FOSS? Pano mo nanakawin ang libre... :confused: challenge naman ata yan! (pero sigurado akong may pulitikong makaisip ng paraan!) :D

dapat ilagay sa PBB ang FOSS, o gawan ng telenovella... siguradong tatalon agad market share ng linux dito pag ganun! Anyone willing to burn Ubuntu CD's with John Lloyd in front? :lolflag:

gsiliceo
January 14th, 2008, 08:39 PM
OK u guys have fun talking nonesense, jk !

guren
January 15th, 2008, 01:52 AM
OK u guys have fun talking nonesense, jk !

Well it actually makes sense. The people stopping piracy should also promote free software.. not just stop "piracy".. Because the truth is, piracy is inevitable. You can download the software anywhere in the torrents for free and with crack.. Tell me how an "Edu Manzano" can stop that!.. No offense Edu Manzano..i'm just using you as an example because you are a very popular human being. Although Edu Manzano focuses on eliminating pirated movies/audio cds, it is the same thing when it comes to people who are trying to stop pirated software.

My idea is, to stop piracy, they/we should promote free software. Because the only way to stop piracy is for consumers to turn away from it and realize that they can focus on just using the legal free software which provides the same benefits. :)

eilu
January 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM
My idea is, to stop piracy, they/we should promote free software. Because the only way to stop piracy is for consumers to turn away from it and realize that they can focus on just using the legal free software which provides the same benefits. :)

amen. I used to run a pirated Photoshop 7 (50 pesos sa Greenhills, may tawd pa! :D) in my old windows PC, then I discovered Gimp. I'm pretty sure halos lahat ng tao dito may experience na ganito.

You can't just say "don't do that" you have to add a "do this instead"

Laibcoms
January 16th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Wait, you lost me there... when was the FOSS Bill approved as a law??

As far as I last read a few months ago, it was blocked again.

---
And Im still in favor of "FLOSS" :p hahaha

ragadanga63
January 16th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Wait, you lost me there... when was the FOSS Bill approved as a law??

As far as I last read a few months ago, it was blocked again.

---
And Im still in favor of "FLOSS" :p hahaha

HB 1716 (HB for House Bill) was in filed August 1, 2007 and is still languishing in Congress.

perbiu
January 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Naupo pa yung Bill sa Opensource.
Tanong ko lang, dapat ba English din ang discussion natin pag English yung title? marami kasi ang naliligaw sa Search dito at sa Google kaya makikinabang ang bisita pag English?