PDA

View Full Version : My wife should be banned from using the computer!

kevdog
January 13th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Ok, maybe this complaining is a little bit over the top, but it just bugs me!

Whenever I use my laptop with my wife to look for movies, or directions, or something similar, I can't stand have my wife taking control of the computer. She doesnt know how to use the laptop touchpad with any efficiency, she understands tabs with firefox, but doesnt use them properly, she tends to close windows to "start over" rather than just use the back arrow button.

Its kind of like when watching TV with someone who doesnt know proper "Remote Control" etiquette. In my world you should be able to make a decision whether you are going to stay on the channel or go to the next one in less than 2 seconds. If it takes longer than this -- its painful!

Anduu
January 13th, 2008, 05:47 AM
I feel your pain brother....

*ducks just in case....*

8-[

Sunflower1970
January 13th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I understand. My husband is like that on our laptop. I don't say anything though, since he's still getting the hang of Ubuntu. He's works better with XP. Tonight I showed him how to use the Gimp. I finallly had to take over for a bit to print something out because he was having trouble with the printing dialog box... :)

dnns123
January 13th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Teach her then... hopefully, she'll learn to have the same computer managing style like you. Good luck.

I know how you feel. Nearly everyone in my family doesn't know how to use the computer with efficiency.

kevdog
January 13th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Ive had a laptop with a touchpad on it for over 10 years. She's been using one or more of my laptops since we were dating. After 10 years, I'm beginning to think that its hopeless!??

tdrusk
January 13th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I hate when my parents keep asking me to install antivirus on their computers (windows xp). They should learn how to do it themselves.

swoll1980
January 13th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I feel like the freakin geak sqaud. Anytime anybody has a problem with there computer the're calling my house. Sometimes my phone rings 5 or 6 times in a day with someone asking me a question about there computer. On the really bad days I will actually answer the phone "Geek Squad" I'm a salesman for crying out loud. The only difference between them, and I is that I took the time to learn the sh@# instead of calling someone else.

Tundro Walker
January 13th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I will solve your problem for the low, low price of only $2000...

For that paltry sum of money, I'll ship you another laptop that your wife can use by herself.

Sure, a laptop costs like $500 these days, but think of that other $1500 as "counselling" fees...

s0ury
January 13th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I feel you.. I have the same problem with my parents and the antivirus-format because my bro destroyed the pc with <insert trojan-carrying music sharing program here> -backup files
I also get called by EVERYBODY i know to solve their problems with windows. Last few days i'm like... err sry m8, i only boot windows because the gfx plugin for my nintendo64 emulator only works on Direct3D, sry.
At least my girlfriend is studying computer engineering like me - I even got her to install Ubuntu on her pc (although I took the time to set it up cuz it was something completely new to her)

amingv
January 13th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Now that is something that happens to most of us. I can say I kinda like doing it, but then again I'm not completely normal.

Some inspirational stuff that may help you:

"Then wear the gold hat if that will move her; if you can bounce high, bounce for her too, 'til she cries 'Lover, gold hatted, high bouncing lover, I must have you.'"

Tomas Parke D'Invilliers

(Although she already has you...:))

mridkash
January 13th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Thats her style for *using* the computer.

Ask her, she may not like your *style* of using the computer.

popch
January 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM
It's as it is with driving a car. Those not actually driving at the moment are not in charge. Relax or get out. Don't interfere.

spamzilla
January 13th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I always show people how to do something, mainly so they know how to do it next time, and so they bug me less :D

insane_alien
January 13th, 2008, 11:28 AM
my dad takes about 10 minutes to type, well, anything into google.

also, they seem to have developed a bad habit of typing web addresses into google instead of the address bar. that really annoys me.

its like knowing the location of someones house but searching the entire street 'just in case'

gn2
January 13th, 2008, 11:52 AM
She's been using one or more of my laptops since we were dating. After 10 years, I'm beginning to think that its hopeless!??

After 10 years you haven't bought her one of these (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/118439).

Shame on you sir! :D

bufsabre666
January 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM

same with my dad, he can type 70 words per minute on a type writer, but when i built him his first computer last year he all of a sudden cant type

xpod
January 13th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Whenever I use my laptop with my wife to look for movies, or directions, or something similar, I can't stand have my wife taking control of the computer. She doesnt know how to use the laptop touchpad with any efficiency, she understands tabs with firefox, but doesnt use them properly, she tends to close windows to "start over" rather than just use the back arrow button.

Its kind of like when watching TV with someone who doesnt know proper "Remote Control" etiquette. In my world you should be able to make a decision whether you are going to stay on the channel or go to the next one in less than 2 seconds. If it takes longer than this -- its painful!

Nearly two years ago our very first PC entered our lives.
Having kids it was imperative that at least one of us learned what was going on and the only we we were able to settle things was by the flip of a coin.

How things would have been sooo different now had that coin landed on her chosen heads me thinks.
She`s never really taken to the PC`s like i myself seem to have but she can do what she needs to with MSN,Email,Web etc etc.......I think part of the reason shes not taken to the things is that we have so many of them now:-\"

Were i sit in the far corner of our living room though we have a two pc setup and having just recently bought the wireless router i found it quite funny when we ordered the Glass PC unit to match her Coffee Table and TV unit ....only to have her then question why there would have to be any visible wires now that we had a wireless router :rolleyes:

I`m under threat to make them invisible.....one way or another:)
I managed to wire the house for ethernet ok so i`m sure this will be a dawdle.
WAF levels demand it of me.
I`m going to a one pc/dual monitor setup soon so that`ll be half the battle won.

For now.

fuscia
January 13th, 2008, 01:25 PM
mrs. fuscia has no idea what a tiling window manager is. so, when i get on my laptop, i can't tell if she's been using it, or if our cat has been sitting on the keyboard. also, mrs. fuscia will frequently leave the remote sitting on top of the tv. "do you even know what the word 'remote' means???"

kevdog
January 13th, 2008, 01:37 PM
also, mrs. fuscia will frequently leave the remote sitting on top of the tv. "do you even know what the word 'remote' means???"

See definition 11 -- the last on the list

re·mote /rɪˈmoʊt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-moht] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, -mot·er, -mot·est, noun
–adjective
1. far apart; far distant in space; situated at some distance away: the remote jungles of Brazil.
2. out-of-the-way; secluded: a remote village; a remote mountaintop.
3. distant in time: remote antiquity.
4. distant in relationship or connection: a remote ancestor.
5. operating or controlled from a distance, as by remote control: a remote telephone answering machine.
6. far off; abstracted; removed: principles remote from actions.
7. not direct, primary, or proximate; not directly involved or influential: the remote causes of the war.
8. slight or faint; unlikely: not the remotest idea; a remote chance.
9. reserved and distant in manner; aloof; not warmly cordial.
–noun
10. Radio and Television. a broadcast, usually live, from a location outside a studio.
11. remote control (def. 2).
[Origin: 1375–1425; late ME < L remōtus, ptp. of removére to move back; see remove, motion]

—Related forms
re·mote·ly, adverb
re·mote·ness, noun

—Synonyms 2. sequestered, isolated, removed, apart, solitary. 8. inconsiderable. 9. withdrawn.
—Antonyms 1. close, near.

billgoldberg
January 13th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I understand.

Most of my friends never heared of linux, let alone ubuntu so whenever they use my pc I die a bit inside. ;p

They all use firefox on there computers but they still use it like they used IE6. It drives me crazy, but after complaining for weeks I just gave up.

Another thing that bug me is the speed at wich most people use a computer/webbrowser. It takes them forever to do anything. The thing that bugs me the most is that nobody I know uses the "home" button on their browser. The home button goes to google but they all insist on typing it in full everytime.

And don't get me started on their mouse usage speed/accuracy.

Another thing that I find strange is that most of them manage to cripple their windows xp boxes within a few days. No matter how many anti-virus, anti-spyware, hosts lists, firewall , ... thing I put on their pc they brake it within the week.
Quick example:
I was in a friends house and were on his xp box. In msn messenger he recieved a link. I knew it was a virus but before I could even utter the words "don't click it" he did and ignored the nod32 warning. Result -> some nasty virus nod32 couldn't delete and redirects on firefox. IE7 isn't usable anymore.

Like most of the people I know they always ignore warnings from their security software. They just click allow and than complain to me about it because I said they would be pretty safe.

I'm also pretty sure that some other friends pc's are zombie pcs. But if I tell them they laugh it away.

Most people need to take some computer lessons before they should be allowed on a pc.

rudihawk
January 13th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I understand.

Most of my friends never heared of linux, let alone ubuntu so whenever they use my pc I die a bit inside. ;p

They all use firefox on there computers but they still use it like they used IE6. It drives me crazy, but after complaining for weeks I just gave up.

Another thing that bug me is the speed at wich most people use a computer/webbrowser. It takes them forever to do anything. The thing that bugs me the most is that nobody I know uses the "home" button on their browser. The home button goes to google but they all insist on typing it in full everytime.

And don't get me started on their mouse usage speed/accuracy.

Another thing that I find strange is that most of them manage to cripple their windows xp boxes within a few days. No matter how many anti-virus, anti-spyware, hosts lists, firewall , ... thing I put on their pc they brake it within the week.
Quick example:
I was in a friends house and were on his xp box. In msn messenger he recieved a link. I knew it was a virus but before I could even utter the words "don't click it" he did and ignored the nod32 warning. Result -> some nasty virus nod32 couldn't delete and redirects on firefox. IE7 isn't usable anymore.

Like most of the people I know they always ignore warnings from their security software. They just click allow and than complain to me about it because I said they would be pretty safe.

I'm also pretty sure that some other friends pc's are zombie pcs. But if I tell them they laugh it away.

Most people need to take some computer lessons before they should be allowed on a pc.
My sister doenst understand the concept of bookmarks or even the drop down list in the address bar of frequently visited sites. She has to search for the site in google and then proceed to it...even if its to her hotmail account or facebook or something. ARRGH!!

Samhain13
January 13th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Ive had a laptop with a touchpad on it for over 10 years. She's been using one or more of my laptops since we were dating. After 10 years, I'm beginning to think that its hopeless!??

It probably is. Maybe you just shouldn't watch your wife as she uses the laptop? :)

Bartender
January 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Try having a friend work with the offending spouse/significant other. I've noticed that someone else can demonstrate the exact same process I've been trying to point out for a decade and it'll take immediately.

My badgering gets tuned out, but coming from someone else it suddenly makes sense.

Linuxratty
January 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I hate when my parents keep asking me to install antivirus on their computers (windows xp). They should learn how to do it themselves.

Then show them how.
Once you have shown them,uninstall it and have each person install with you watching.
It's not rocket science here.
Free virus programs here:
http://www.filehippo.com/
You can also encourage them to move to firefox and get these extensions:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3383
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3840

fuscia
January 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Try having a friend work with the offending spouse/significant other.

good idea. nothing makes one spouse deaf like being lectured by the other.

MONODA
January 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I know exaclty how you feel!!! my cousin has no idea how to use the touch pad!! she insists on using the area where her nail and skin meet to move the courser and only uses half the touch pad. Also parents insist on clicking file exit it windows xp!!!

erfahren
January 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM
My sister doenst understand the concept of bookmarks or even the drop down list in the address bar of frequently visited sites. She has to search for the site in google and then proceed to it...even if its to her hotmail account or facebook or something. ARRGH!!
that's actually not good to do - for secure sites it's recommended that you bookmark the site and return to it using the bookmark - just to prevent inadvertently going to a spoofed site through a search.

I've gotten impatient with my girlfriend a few times and she would angrily come back with "I just do things differently" - can't really argue with that! I try to remind myself now that she's smarter about the security aspect (can't say that for some of my relatives) so when she does her slow, quirky things I try to to "bite-my-tongue" and try to be patient (and try not to laugh - which is sometimes more difficult).!

bufsabre666
January 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM
so when she does her slow, quirky things I try to to "bite-my-tongue" and try to be patient (and try not to laugh - which is sometimes more difficult).!

been there man, but thats with pretty much everyone who doesnt know how to use bookmarks and short cuts right

Darkhack
January 13th, 2008, 06:20 PM
My mother fits this thread perfectly. One minor quirk she has is that when she is using a mouse, she click and hold down the mouse button for almost a full second before releasing it. It took her a while before she got the hang of double clicking but she still holds the mouse button down when single clicking a lot.

She also completely fails to understand what our ISP does. Until I corrected her, she thought that the browser was part of our ISP (software they created or something) and she thought bookmarks were stored on our ISPs server and not on the local disk. She also didn't understand the concept of webmail. She used to think that you had to be at a specific computer to check an email account.

Tundro Walker
January 14th, 2008, 03:26 AM
The secrets to making a marriage or roommate situation work out:

1) each of you do your own thing when you want to, but if you plan on doing something together, don't be a boat anchor

2) don't tell your spouse/roommate when or how to do something (if you think it's important, do it yourself)

3) don't offer advice unless asked (I'm breaking that rule right now)

4) don't expect your spouse/roommate to drop what they're doing to help you out with your thing (unless it's an emergency, which is subjective)

5) don't "keep score" (EG: your wife shouldn't keep score on how many times she's done the dishes, just as you shouldn't keep score on how many times you've paid for dinner or something. If this is an issue, then you decided to marry or roomy with the wrong person.)

swoll1980
January 14th, 2008, 03:36 AM

also, they seem to have developed a bad habit of typing web addresses into google instead of the address bar. that really annoys me.

its like knowing the location of someones house but searching the entire street 'just in case'

I was on the phone helping my brother bridge his modem I told him to type 192.168.0.1 into his address bar after 5 minute of him telling me it doesn't work I found out that he was typing it into the google box :lolflag:

hhhhhx
January 14th, 2008, 03:45 AM
things like that shouldent be so irratating, but they are, i just can help it :mad:

Mr. Picklesworth
January 14th, 2008, 04:00 AM
I've gotten used to the slow use thing, but what drives me crazy is when people are blind to entire pieces of windows or the screen.

A ginormous, flashy modal dialog appears and they don't even notice, for example. Keep clicking in the window they were staring at, wondering why nothing is happening. Even that shouldn't be too much an issue, but the problem then is the moral dillemma: Do I really want to insult their intelligence by pointing out the huge object they did not notice? (That danger is in line with explaining to somebody what the different colours mean on ink cartridges).

There are many horrible examples I could churn up, but those are too depressing. The good news is they all happen in Windows and tend to be associated with antivirus programs or installers.

Pistolla
January 15th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Quite frankly I don't think I would have said anything about my wife on the 'puter. Everybody has a way of doing things. I am fastidious when it comes to doing anything, and so is my wife. She has her way and I have mine and we meet in the middle. Tolerate it or just don't let her use it.

Dale61
January 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
If there is a long, drawn out way of doing things (even the simplest of tasks), my partner will invent an even longer and more drawn out way of doing it.

To each their own though.

xpod
January 15th, 2008, 01:04 PM
If there is a long, drawn out way of doing things (even the simplest of tasks), my partner will invent an even longer and more drawn out way of doing it.

To each their own though.

Summed up perfectly.:)

Nunu
January 15th, 2008, 01:16 PM
My wife waits until i get on the computer then like a lioness stalking her pray she stalks waiting for me to make a move to the kitchen or bathroom. Thats when she attacks and takes control of my PC try as i might i can't get her away from it. WHY can't she use it when i am not using it WHY I CRY WHY???

Joeb454
January 15th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Simple...

People want what they can't have :) Buy her a cheap desktop/laptop and you may well get your PC back :)

gn2
January 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM
My wife waits until i get on the computer then like a lioness stalking her pray she stalks waiting for me to make a move to the kitchen or bathroom. Thats when she attacks and takes control of my PC try as i might i can't get her away from it. WHY can't she use it when i am not using it WHY I CRY WHY???

Perfect excuse to buy her an Eee, which you can use when she kicks you off the main PC?

That's how it works in my house, I end up using my old P3 laptop while she hogs the C2D desktop.....

tigerplug
January 15th, 2008, 05:57 PM

LOL - I know how ya feel ;)

A_Lyle
January 15th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Just wanted to speak up for the geek-girl contingent here :)

Some of us girls are our familys' sysadmin, you know. I set up and look after the network (wired and wifi), choose the computers we're going to buy, all that stuff. Of course it helps that I married a guy who doesn't mind that I know a lot more about computers than he does. That said, he's by no means as incompetent as some of the people described here - just not a complete geek either!

Joeb454
January 15th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Sometimes I hate being the family Sys Admin...especially when my own PC comes up with a message that basically says
Please contact your system/network administrator

Because it's me I have to stop what I'm doing to fix it :p Nice to know it's not an all male thing though :)

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Just wanted to speak up for the geek-girl contingent here :)

Some of us girls are our familys' sysadmin, you know. I set up and look after the network (wired and wifi), choose the computers we're going to buy, all that stuff. Of course it helps that I married a guy who doesn't mind that I know a lot more about computers than he does. That said, he's by no means as incompetent as some of the people described here - just not a complete geek either!

trust me i wish there were more of you, im in java script 2 right now, and to be blunt its a sausage fest

but yeah on target with the thread being the systems admin can get horrible but i havent had to do anything for dad since i put him on linux, my mom can do most herself but she has me do more advanced stuff, i end up doing work for neighbors and friends, im too nice to say no =(

Joeb454
January 15th, 2008, 06:16 PM
i end up doing work for neighbors and friends, im too nice to say no =(

I know the feeling, they get all upset if you say no, and you end up doing it either way :mad:

gn2
January 15th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Just start wearing one of these (http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/388b/).

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2008, 06:35 PM
nah, i prefer the one i saw on a differnt site

"ask me to fix your computer, ladies"

Scar-face
January 15th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Just start wearing one of these (http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/388b/).

I do, but the people that didn't ask me questions about it do now >.< plus, I get all the silly jokes "uh, wanna fix my computer?" It's a cool shirt tbh.

I end up doing work for neighbors and friends, im too nice to say no =(

Same for me :( Sometimes I'm like, NO! but I think it's rude to say no, because when they don't get my help they will be stuck forever :p

rustybronco
January 15th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Whenever I use my laptop with my wife to look for movies, or directions, or something similar, I can't stand have my wife taking control of the computer. The answer is simple, buy her a laptop and surf side-by-side it's easier on the relationship.
you aren't going to change her... for the most part would you want to? :) life is short' so look at the good side of her it keeps things alive.

Nunu
January 15th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Simple...

People want what they can't have :) Buy her a cheap desktop/laptop and you may well get your PC back :)

I got a play station satellite TV but still she waits for me to ubuntu then she attacks no matter what she was doing before

Nunu
January 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM
The answer is simple, buy her a laptop and surf side-by-side it's easier on the relationship.
you aren't going to change her... for the most part would you want to? :) life is short' so look at the good side of her it keeps things alive.

Imagine this laying side buy side on a called winters morning each with there own laptop, He gently touches her knee and a Pigeon window opens on her screen it's a message from him "Want to cyber?"

:lolflag:

Hope i didn't offend anyone sorry if i did

steveneddy
January 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I just got a gun for my wife.

Best trade I ever made.

:popcorn:

lespaul_rentals
January 15th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I will solve your problem for the low, low price of only $2000...

For that paltry sum of money, I'll ship you another laptop that your wife can use by herself.

Sure, a laptop costs like $500 these days, but think of that other $1500 as "counselling" fees...

Steve? Is that you?

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2008, 08:59 PM
hey steve, its bill, we got um by the balls, now how else can we stop the use of linux?

Nunu
January 16th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Hey guys it's me Larry, Bill why didn't you tell me your daughter was getting married?

jseiser
January 16th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I have the same issues, the WORST is the fact that my girlfriend isnt bad with computers, she is just careless. We each got a main PC, then a laptop, and a server all running Linux but her PC. I HATE when she has a problem with windows and asks me about it, because Ive tried to get her on linux, and she will use my laptop, she likes it, but on her PC it has to be windows, She tends to think 'linux' (all distros are the same to her :) ) are unstable, or that they break because I'm constantly installing and uninstalling etc. But its not the distro, its me, i like to hack away at stuff, and try new things, each time i re-install or switch distros, or try a new window manager its easier, and the process is more streamlined. But when she gets a virus, or something breaks, or she cant remember how to burn a CD, or lime wire freezes, who ya gonna call me... me :( her computer also chugs away on windows, its slooooooww. I want to install CRUX on it with jwm and set up her programs, all gtk1 and console, set up her menu, and say their you go. No problems at all, but no0o0o0o! lol

alwiap
January 16th, 2008, 06:45 PM
ban your wife/girlfriends for one week minimum, the internet is serious business, tell them they need to learn the internet!

xpod
January 17th, 2008, 12:54 AM

I know the feeling, they get all upset if you say no, and you end up doing it either way

Good stuff!!

Just start wearing one of these

mmmmm??
So far, fixing the friends & neighbors pc`s has somehow left me a handy position of having had enough of their old/er pc`s to go round,here at home.
Even now i have the new cd2 to myself:)
In fact i`ve just donated 1 of our laptops and 1 of the desktops to worthy causes.

Two very happy new pc users,and thats not counting us 7:mrgreen:

Joeb454
January 17th, 2008, 01:19 AM
I actually have one of those t-shirts...and when people say "will you fix my computer? haha lol!!1!" I just say "No, can you not read?!"

jerrylamos
January 17th, 2008, 02:01 AM
My wife has her computers. Two of them. The older Win 98 one has some applications she's used for years, and probably would be messy to move to the faster Windows XP. Why XP? she supports some web sites with software like Dreamweaver which is ******* only, and on occasion has to use Internet Explorer since Mozilla doesn't support all the odd windows features.

Some of the financial sites expect Internet Explorer and won't sign on with Mozilla or Linux so I will borrow time on her system for that.

By the way, she taught Comp Sci 101 in a local technical college. If I have any Office questions she's got some leads. Her background in Microsoft Office frequently applies to Open Office.

She sets up her computers like she wants them and I mess out, except for the odd problem it might take both of us to work on.

I've got a laptop computer, Feisty, and two desktops, Feisty, Gutsy, Hardy, Win98 (for printer utility support). I like to play with the latest development code which will have some broken features, plus some backup partitions to keep on running. No way I try Ubuntu on her computers because from time to time the "development level" partition manager will screw up big time, trashing partitions, which is the reason for keeping the older computer current.

Cheers, Jerry

By the way, we've been on PC's since 1982.

Dale61
January 17th, 2008, 02:26 AM
ban your wife/girlfriends for one week minimum, the internet is serious business, tell them they need to learn the internet!

That sounds like the response of a single man!

If you were in a relationship, you would know that even thinking of doing that comes with serious repercussions.

Mateo
January 17th, 2008, 02:42 AM
i have to disagree here. It doesn't sound like she's doing anything harmful. She just doesn't use the computer the way you do. That this annoys you sounds like a "you" problem, not her.

dgoodma
January 17th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I bought my wife her own computer.

Linuxratty
January 17th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I bought my wife her own computer.

Smart man.:KS:KS:KS

barbedsaber
January 17th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I get annoyed when everyone in my fammily will search for somthing in google, and then sit there with there mouse over the link they want to follow, for all of 20 seconds, I feel like screaming :just *!#^$%& click on it!":mad:

Linuxratty
January 17th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I get annoyed when everyone in my fammily will search for somthing in google, and then sit there with there mouse over the link they want to follow, for all of 20 seconds, I feel like screaming :just *!#^$%& click on it!":mad:

You know,this has really been interesting...I had no idea people interacted with computers in such quirky ways...
You REALLY need to just leave the room when someone in your family turns on a computer...Or go get some laughing gas,or something!
:)

acridfusion
January 17th, 2008, 03:57 AM

Mine did the same thing so i built her the 900 mhz.. that wasnt good enough. gave her the nicer office chair for her pc... that wasnt good enough... Then I installed ubutu on the 900 mhz and i sit there now while she sits at the 2.0 ghz machine. she must fear something new i guess.. doesnt understand simpler ways of doing things.. oh, all she does at the computer is myspace MYSPACE MYSPACE! I dont get it.. i got her into craig's list so she does that too and yahoo games.. all perfect for the small computer. so i'm going to get a legit copy of windows and throw her on the small box again, then i'm going to learn some more about linux then convert my box to it. does ubuntu support dual computer screens? i'll have to figure out too how to share my 3 hard drives on my network too. all to be learned in due time.. off to some 3rd shift cookin now!

jay019
March 12th, 2008, 03:21 PM
My parnter uses firefox, because I deleted the blue E icon :lol:
Actually, she has learnt how to use tabbed browsing which is cool.

As for family/freinds expecting computer help, the first question I ask is "what version of linux are you using" when they say "um, im using windows" i reply with, "oh sorry, i only know how to use linux"

argraff
March 12th, 2008, 03:35 PM
The most recent annoying computer thing happened to me at my old job - I used to work at a non-profit theatre. I brought in my Ubuntu laptop, and one of the actors asked if she could use it to type up the staff meeting notes as the meeting happened. I agreed, opened Open Office and a new document, and handed it to her.

She looked at it, then the keyboard and said (quote), "How do I use it?"

IT'S JUST TYPING - MAC, PC, LINUX, UNIX, BSD, WHATEVER!!!!! Just TYPE!!! ](*,)

Lostincyberspace
March 12th, 2008, 03:41 PM
The most recent annoying computer thing happened to me at my old job - I used to work at a non-profit theatre. I brought in my Ubuntu laptop, and one of the actors asked if she could use it to type up the staff meeting notes as the meeting happened. I agreed, opened Open Office and a new document, and handed it to her.

She looked at it, then the keyboard and said (quote), "How do I use it?"

IT'S JUST TYPING - MAC, PC, LINUX, UNIX, BSD, WHATEVER!!!!! Just TYPE!!! ](*,)
She might have been wondering if it was tablet where you could just write on the screen with a stylus in her defense.

Lostincyberspace
March 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Why not just lock the computer when you leave it?

argraff
March 12th, 2008, 03:50 PM
She might have been wondering if it was tablet where you could just write on the screen with a stylus in her defense.

I don't think so (I don't think she's seen one of those - honestly!), it's just a regular Lenovo laptop.

Another one of the actors couldn't figure out why he couldn't plug his computer into a power strip. (Regular three pronged plug). I went down to investigate, found two actors (both with Master's degrees, mind you) staring at this plug that they were attempting to plug in upside down and between two outlets (using the wrong ground). *hangs head in despair*

I also spent eight minutes a day answering the question, "how do I attach something to my email again?" "Paperclip, dearie. Paperclip."

I love them all to death, but I wouldn't say they're "catching on" to technology or anything! :D

popch
March 12th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I also spent eight minutes a day answering the question, "how do I attach something to my email again?" "Paperclip, dearie. Paperclip."

I love them all to death, but I wouldn't say they're "catching on" to technology or anything! :D

I would think that it was obvious: if they're actors then they just need a script and two rehearsals. From then on, they should be fine.

Ah, and a cue, of course.

patrickaupperle
March 12th, 2008, 04:05 PM

my family does that too,:lolflag::lol::lolflag::lol::lolflag:

argraff
March 12th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I would think that it was obvious: if they're actors then they just need a script and two rehearsals. From then on, they should be fine.

Ah, and a cue, of course.

Or, in their case, six weeks of rehearsals...lol

anaconda
March 12th, 2008, 04:34 PM
She doesnt know how to use the laptop touchpad with any efficiency, !

Hmm..
Is it POSSIBLE to use touchpads efficiently??

What is the secret..?

n3tfury
March 12th, 2008, 04:40 PM

sounds like you need to "show her" how to use the touchpad properly or explain your other complaints. or maybe, you can take your original post and print it out for her to read.

Banished
March 12th, 2008, 05:17 PM
...also, they seem to have developed a bad habit of typing web addresses into google instead of the address bar. that really annoys me.

this made me laugh too, my mother-in-law does that...and some website addresses don't show up on Google, so every now and then she'll receive a link and ask me why it doesn't work.

Another thing that is so simple but very difficult for some people is double clicking...I've spent hours trying to teach a few people how to double click on their mouse, it's a very painful thing to watch. If I have to spend that much time teaching someone how to click on a mouse, I sometimes hesitate to explain to them how the file system works.

popch
March 12th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I've spent hours trying to teach a few people how to double click on their mouse

Very often it helps those people if you actually say how double clicking is supposed to sound. I have met with great success by not telling them to 'rapidly click' or to 'click twice within a short time' but just to 'click didi'' or 'click like tick-tick'. Remember to say 'didi' slowly.

Xanatos Craven
March 12th, 2008, 06:07 PM
After reading this thread, I have got to say that I'm fortunate to not be in this situation, and haven't been in years. Though the only real computer-illiterates in my family are grandparents... even my mom can order stuff off the web and send email. One of my grandmas can't even handle a remote control...

One truly lulzy moment was in college, when my roommate's friend (assuming that I was some sort of "computer genius"... whatever that really even means) got all mad that I couldn't fix his crappy AOL problems. Besides the obvious answer of "step into the 21st century and ditch AOL". I remember being a little kid and thinking AOL was the web. Now, it's "huh, AOL's still around!?"

Sunflower1970
March 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM

I deal with this on a daily basis with customers who don't really know how to use a browser. We give them a web address to upload photos for their online classified ad. We tell them they have to type it in to the address bar of their browser. It's not something they can find on our website. They then proceed to type it in to Google, Yahoo, MSN live you name it. I ask them are they typing it into a search engine, or the address bar of the browser. They swear it's the address bar. ](*,) Of course they don't know what a browser is nor do they know the name of it. (I get Roadrunner, or AOL or SBC a lot for the name of a browser)

It gets frustrating since it's 5-10 calls a day like that but I keep having to tell myself that they have learned something about their browser that day and might feel kind of good about learning :)

original_jamingrit
March 13th, 2008, 12:27 AM

'

I know it's unrelated to the topic of this thread, but one time I started typing in www. to see what google suggestions would put at the top of the list. The top three were www.yahoo.com, www.youtube.com, and www.hotmail.com. Now we know what sites are popular for the technically illiterate. :)

Sceiron
March 27th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I can't stand have my wife taking control of the computer.

What is this all about, where is the "man" in the relationship :lolflag:

Hutom
March 27th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Hmm..
Is it POSSIBLE to use touchpads efficiently??

That's right. Its not only your wife Mr. kevdog; I know I'm terribly inefficient with these touchpads. However that reminds me of something even more funnier. My friend bought a laptop and used it for a week. Then suddenly told me that he was unable to work for the last 2-3 days because the touchpad is not working and he is going to ask for a replacement from the vendor. :)Now you know what happened...he accidentally pressed the touchpad lock button. :)

afallucco
March 27th, 2008, 03:39 PM
well, at least my girlfriend knows how to use a computer. She has XP on her laptop but doesn't have a problem using my laptop. Sometimes she's somewhat intrigued by it. She likes all of the different themes...

saxuntu
March 27th, 2008, 04:08 PM
My wife's actually pretty good with the computer. I only get questions for Ubuntu related things from her since she converted. I'm working on convincing her she needs to flip her church (she's a minister) to Ubuntu also.

L473ncy
March 27th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I love being the offspring of an engineer.

At least they know their stuff and can actually USE the computer efficiently.

Most of my friends are computer pro's (well except for one, he's a total n00b, he buys Sony stuff from the Sony store cause he just has that kind of cash to burn, and he actually purchases stuff like norton instead of buying nod32 or kaspersky (like we all recommend)). So I have no problem with them being to total n00bs, one of my other friends though probably couldn't use linux for ****, I mean he can write html, css whatever but if he had to do anything with linux he would probably fail at it.

laxmanb
March 27th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Meet the average computer user, TC.

They get better over time.