PDA

View Full Version : I cant use Ubuntu anymore despite I like it

desperado315
January 13th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Just a sad day for me. I've installed and used Ubuntu just for 1week. Its a little difficult for newbie like me, but I find it interesting. Everything has worked perfectly, and the Internet. But now, my ISP changes something, I have to use a software called "Alcatraz" along with my User Name and my Password to log in the Internet. The problem is that program doesnt support Linux at all :(. I've tried to find a version for Linux but I didnt succeed. It's suck.
I returned to Windows yesterday and got sick with it. Miss Ubuntu :((:confused:

aimran
January 13th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Have you tried talking to your ISP? I believe that there's legal recourse to this.

But it's up to you. To take the higher moral ground or just go with the flow :)

Good luck!

~LoKe
Run it in wine and tell your ISP to F off.

YourSurrogateGod
Get a new ISP :) .

Redache
January 13th, 2008, 02:41 AM
If it's broadband tell your ISP to go take a long walk off a high cliff. The program probably does nothing but enforce spyware and monitoring. There should be a way around having to use it/argue with them that you want to use Linux and they have no right to block your use of it because they want you to use some crap piece of junk to "connect" to them.

sports fan Matt
January 13th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I agree F the isp..

That sounds like dialup..I also agree that its possibly spyware maybe bundled with other crap ..almost seems like its a monitoring program...etc

Het Irv
January 13th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Alcatraz? Like the Infamous Jail? Which ISP do you have so that I can avoid them?

desperado315
January 13th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Run it in wine and tell your ISP to F off.

I've tried it and nothing worked.

new2*buntu
January 13th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I've tried it and nothing worked.

I think that if you must, you can probably run it in wine, and have firefox and all other apps that need the internet to run in wine, too. But I think that you should look for a different ISP.

jamescondron
January 13th, 2008, 02:49 AM
See, your connection doesn't rely upon this program- it merely uses it to add a layer of auth. to justify whatever else it bundles on. There are several things you could do, ranging from the simple (change ISP, bitch at your ISP) to the very slightly more complex (emulation with wine etc) to the very difficult (monitoring the app and reverse engineering it with a view to hacking a simple script to do the same thing, i'd suggest LWP on perl)

Basically, remember this- if you want to use Ubuntu, then you use it.... contrary to what commercial computing companies believe, you own your computer and have the right to do what you want with it.

Not only that, but your ISP shares the same lines as many others... changing ISP to one without such a draconian method of regulation and connection (c'mon... where are you Stallman?) will cost you no speed, quality or anything really.

desperado315
January 13th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Alcatraz? Like the Infamous Jail? Which ISP do you have so that I can avoid them?
I stay in Romania, so dont worry ;)

If it's broadband tell your ISP to go take a long walk off a high cliff. The program probably does nothing but enforce spyware and monitoring. There should be a way around having to use it/argue with them that you want to use Linux and they have no right to block your use of it because they want you to use some crap piece of junk to "connect" to them.
I will give it a try, because I used to have internet without this Alcatraz bullsh** to log in

zipperback
January 13th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I have to use a software called "Alcatraz" along with my User Name and my Password to log in the Internet.:

Please explain what kind of connectivity you are using for the Internet. Dial up, Cable, DSL, etc...

What kind of modem do you have?

What ISP do you have?

We can probably help you if we have a little more information from you.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

conehead77
January 13th, 2008, 03:00 AM
A friend of mine had to use the AOL software which didnt work with Ubuntu. I then entered his account name and password directly in the router so he didnt need the software anymore.
Maybe this works for you too?

If not, you are stuck on the jail island :mad:

Wiebelhaus
January 13th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Please explain what kind of connectivity you are using for the Internet. Dial up, Cable, DSL, etc...

What ISP do you have?

- zipperback

I agree....

Not to long ago a woman came into our shop and said she was using an AOL derivative like netscape or netzero and she called them and told them she wanted to use firefox and how could she use firefox to browse the net instead of their old busted chopped up AOL 5.0 software , they told her "We don't want you to do that".

I hooked her up with a phreak dial up connection , f em'.

desperado315
January 13th, 2008, 03:02 AM
See, your connection doesn't rely upon this program- it merely uses it to add a layer of auth. to justify whatever else it bundles on. There are several things you could do, ranging from the simple (change ISP, bitch at your ISP) to the very slightly more complex (emulation with wine etc) to the very difficult (monitoring the app and reverse engineering it with a view to hacking a simple script to do the same thing, i'd suggest LWP on perl)

Basically, remember this- if you want to use Ubuntu, then you use it.... contrary to what commercial computing companies believe, you own your computer and have the right to do what you want with it.

Not only that, but your ISP shares the same lines as many others... changing ISP to one without such a draconian method of regulation and connection (c'mon... where are you Stallman?) will cost you no speed, quality or anything really.

I'm think about changing the ISP, but another prob is I stay in domitory (hostel, in my university, dont know what to call it :D), and I cannot switch to any other ISP.You see, its really suck for me now.

Linuxratty
January 13th, 2008, 03:04 AM
That's very strange...When i moved to Linux,not a peep was heard from my ISP...They did need to know about the Mac we had though..
The ISP sold out to another one...Now a second person in the house uses Linux...Still not a peep from the ISP with two machines funning Linux.

Redache
January 13th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Hold on... are you sure it's the ISP and not the University Network that's forcing you to use this software? if it's the University Network talk to them and ask them to sort it out because unless it stated when you signed for your accommodation that they could force software changes on you then you should be able to fight it.

Now if it's some form of ISP connection to the entire block and there is no university involvement then it comes down to what kind of connection it is.

desperado315
January 13th, 2008, 03:12 AM

What ISP do you have?

- zipperback

I use cable to connect to a HUB, I dont have a modem, this Hub connects to a friend of mine ...
ISP AComputers in Romnania:(

@Redache: I'm sure that its ISP. If I want to have another ISP, it means I need another cable to connect, for "this cable" maybe I dont have permission.

jamescondron
January 13th, 2008, 03:34 AM
If it is a university accommodation one, it may be similar to mine whereby you have to use a similar method to verify yourself, its sort of like the web-based stuff cisco and BT operate.

If that is the case, consider using a local wireless net, or looking at what the program is doing, you may even find netstat helps you here. Doing this should enable you to connect a different way.

CCNA_student
January 13th, 2008, 03:48 AM
What other ISP's are out where you live? There must be someone else that does not require some stupid software.

kevdog
January 13th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Tell your ISP you are running a MAC, and then wait for what solution they offer you. It might at least point you in the right direction. I cant believe they would force you to use Windows if you owned a MAC.

GSF1200S
January 13th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Tell your ISP you are running a MAC, and then wait for what solution they offer you. It might at least point you in the right direction. I cant believe they would force you to use Windows if you owned a MAC.

Pretty good idea.

Seriously, they cant force you to use a cable, as a router should be capable to connect. Then, use Ubuntu to connect to the wireless network. This sounds like BS to me...

FuturePilot
January 13th, 2008, 04:44 AM
There must be a hidden meaning behind the name of the software :shock:

macogw
January 13th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Hold on... are you sure it's the ISP and not the University Network that's forcing you to use this software? if it's the University Network talk to them and ask them to sort it out because unless it stated when you signed for your accommodation that they could force software changes on you then you should be able to fight it.

Now if it's some form of ISP connection to the entire block and there is no university involvement then it comes down to what kind of connection it is.

At my school the software they make you use is to enforce the use of anti-virus. Of course, if you tell them you use Mac or Linux, that requirement goes out the window because where the hell are any of us going to get a virus?

macogw
January 13th, 2008, 05:22 AM
According to the Alcatraz Users Manual (www.wyse.com/service/discontd/software/alcatraz/AlcatrazUserManual.pdf), the software lets them control your Windows computer.

Polygon
January 13th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I laugh at the irony of this program being called alcatraz.

but that program looks like its meant to be used in like libraries/companies, so people can come in and install stuff if they dont want them too, why is a isp using this...

GSF1200S
January 13th, 2008, 07:15 AM
According to the Alcatraz Users Manual (www.wyse.com/service/discontd/software/alcatraz/AlcatrazUserManual.pdf), the software lets them control your Windows computer.

WOW! I would tell the ISP to go bend themselves immediately. Have you read this crap?!? An ISP or college service providing internet services MAKES you use this? This is like trusted computing (in my sig) in a more software based form! This is a violation of human rights. I wouldnt feel comfortable doing ANYTHING with this program running, especially when the company that employs it is granted unlimited access to the control of your PC.

Call them and tell them that you choose to use a Mac or Linux, and that you want internet access. If they fail to offer you access, then I wouldnt use it no matter what the hassle...

**EDIT** Assuming of course the Alcatraz above is the same as is what they are forcing.

Methuselah
January 13th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Very interesting.
Sometimes it seems as if EVERBODY wants to take control of your computer.

Not ony is Microsoft able to boot you into "reduced functionality mode" and game companies able to install rootkits like Starforce, but ISPs are forcing people to install virtual penitentiaries? Alcatraz?! And they want to monitor your activities?

I think it's becoming clearer and clearer that, if you're interested in privacy/control, you'd best avoid proprietary/closed software, especially for something as critical as the Operating system.

I would absolutely not re-install windows in order to imprison myself.
I understand how you may feel forced to do so. That's the intention.
I'd start looking for ways around this ridiculous requirement. But it's not clear to me exactly who is imposing this.

desperado315
January 13th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Thank you guys for sharing this with me.
Now I will use internet through my university. This will help me to keep going with Ubuntu. But, that means I cant download Torrent files if Im in Ubuntu.
No matter whatt ... Im using Ubuntu. Cheers :)

Linuxratty
January 14th, 2008, 12:19 AM
So you can't use a torrent...You can find friends who will make big downloads for you...
Just be glad you found out what they were up to.
That's just plane scary!

pjkoczan
January 14th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Slightly off-topic, there's a semi-monopoly of high-speed ISPs in my area (only one cable provider and a couple DSL options). Simply switching ISPs may not be an option for some people.

In any case, I remember having the ISPs requiring software installs to verify everything, plus at least one (AT&T) installed their own browser. Of course the installers and programs didn't work on Linux...not that I'd want them to but it was frustrating having to borrow a Windows laptop from work just to activate my network.

Long story short, I ended up writing an email to them expressing my concerns. I haven't heard back from them yet.

abstractcoder
January 14th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Get a new ISP :) .

I agree

zipperback
January 14th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I use cable to connect to a HUB, I dont have a modem, this Hub connects to a friend of mine ...
ISP AComputers in Romnania:(

@Redache: I'm sure that its ISP. If I want to have another ISP, it means I need another cable to connect, for "this cable" maybe I dont have permission.

If you are connecting directly into the hub in order to get your Internet access then I would say the application is probably some sort of network validation application.

Can you post a screenshot of the application for us to look at?

I'm not sure, but I think it was Novell a while back that had developed a network client application called Alcatraz.

A screenshot would certainly help.

Thanks.

- zipperback

allforcarrie
January 14th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I'm glad you can get back online.

Het Irv
January 14th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I wonder what happens when you install it and then run spyware removal programs (ad-aware, Spybot). I doubt you can clean you system of everything but the authentication part.

desperado315
January 15th, 2008, 01:06 AM

Here is the screenshot of the f**king program

I dont know its a spyware or not, but Im using only Kaspersky Internet Security and it doesnt find "Alcatraz" is a spyware

Ebuntor
January 15th, 2008, 01:25 AM

Here is the screenshot of the f**king program

I dont know its a spyware or not, but Im using only Kaspersky Internet Security and it doesnt find "Alcatraz" is a spyware

What a totally f*ed up program is that? I read the manual and it's absolutely ridiculous, no good reason why you'd need it to connect.

Kaspersky spyware scanner isn't very good, their anti-virus apps are nr.1 though.

Are you certain you can't run this program in Wine? My university used to offer a similar program (without the spyware luckily) and it could easily run under Wine.

desperado315
January 15th, 2008, 01:48 AM
What a totally f*ed up program is that? I read the manual and it's absolutely ridiculous, no good reason why you'd need it to connect.

Kaspersky spyware scanner isn't very good, their anti-virus apps are nr.1 though.

Are you certain you can't run this program in Wine? My university used to offer a similar program (without the spyware luckily) and it could easily run under Wine.

Yes, I am. Here is the error "OLE error 80004001"

And one ridiculous thing is that "in Windows, this program can only run if I activate it from the Notification Area (at the right bottom of the screen)". But when I run it under Wine, there is no Toolbar that allows me to do so..

Nekiruhs
January 15th, 2008, 02:30 AM
At my school we use something similar to check that our AV and OS are up to date, Cisco Clean Access Agent. If we use linux, I'm about 1 out of 3 at my school of 1,300, we just use a web based login sans authentication. It works nicely, maybe you could ask your ISP about something like this?

horned0wl
January 15th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I agree....

Not to long ago a woman came into our shop and said she was using an AOL derivative like netscape or netzero and she called them and told them she wanted to use firefox and how could she use firefox to browse the net instead of their old busted chopped up AOL 5.0 software , they told her "We don't want you to do that".

I hooked her up with a phreak dial up connection , f em'.

Broadband ISPs here in the US absolutely freak if users login via Linux; or if you disable and delete the programs CFC.exe and CFD.exe, both of which are designed to throttle you or shut you down, but which don't damage your computer when removed...

My ISP wanted to send me a six-page letter and "some extra software to 'help' me log onto them using Linux". I poo-pooed that, and, as with *******, let my system find the internet all by itself. It did that just fine. So much for one of their back doors. I'm sure they have some more tho...

Cheers;
Ed

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Broadband ISPs here in the US absolutely freak if users login via Linux; or if you disable and delete the programs CFC.exe and CFD.exe, both of which are designed to throttle you or shut you down, but which don't damage your computer when removed...

My ISP wanted to send me a six-page letter and "some extra software to 'help' me log onto them using Linux". I poo-pooed that, and, as with *******, let my system find the internet all by itself. It did that just fine. So much for one of their back doors. I'm sure they have some more tho...

Cheers;
Ed

i had something like this, i called time warner cause my connection was acting up, when they asked for my operation system, i told them ubuntu, they asked me what that was and i told them its a linux distribution, they said, oh linux, that must be your problem

ah the ignorance of the support departments

p_quarles
January 15th, 2008, 03:20 AM
i had something like this, i called time warner cause my connection was acting up, when they asked for my operation system, i told them ubuntu, they asked me what that was and i told them its a linux distribution, they said, oh linux, that must be your problem

ah the ignorance of the support departments
Never had problems with my connection, but at one point I had a question about the modem my ISP sold me. When the rep asked about the OS, I said "Linux," and had to spend five minutes convincing her that, no, I did not mean that I had a Linksys router.

bufsabre666
January 15th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Never had problems with my connection, but at one point I had a question about the modem my ISP sold me. When the rep asked about the OS, I said "Linux," and had to spend five minutes convincing her that, no, I did not mean that I had a Linksys router.

what can i say, i have a whole linksys network

akiratheoni
January 15th, 2008, 04:42 AM
We'd like to point out 2 items:

1) the alerts on today's forum mentioned that DANGEROUS CODES were being posted to questions, allegedy as "help." This probably means a lot of peoples' systems are being bricked through Linux.

2) Gutsy 7.10 has disappointed a lot of people with a lot of different problems. None of these are very easy to solve. Unfortunately, gutsy was the version that the designing company shipped with millions of Dell computers. It was supposed to be a big breakthrough.

Something really stinks if Gutsy has poisoned Linux popularity forever.

I don't see how this is relevant to the topic.

wana10
January 15th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Thank you guys for sharing this with me.
Now I will use internet through my university. This will help me to keep going with Ubuntu. But, that means I cant download Torrent files if Im in Ubuntu.
No matter whatt ... Im using Ubuntu. Cheers :)

give this a shot...my uni forced windows users to use cisco clean access agent and yet miraculously that didn't stop torrent users;)

load up azureus, click on tools, then options, then the arrow next to connection, then transport encryption. on a default azureus install you will see one available box to click and three greyed out boxes. clicking that one box will enable the other three boxes. click the top two of the bottom three boxes and *poof* torrents might work again. this worked for me but, your mileage may vary. you will never get a green smiley health rating but you will be able to upload and download.

and if alcatraz(boo hiss!) is anything like cisco clean access agent you won't be able to download .torrent files. what you need to do is, instead of saving them to your hdd, choose to have them automatically open in azureus.

have fun and good luck!

macogw
January 15th, 2008, 10:14 AM
and if alcatraz(boo hiss!) is anything like cisco clean access agent you won't be able to download .torrent files. what you need to do is, instead of saving them to your hdd, choose to have them automatically open in azureus

Seriously??? We have CCA at my school too, but since I only log in through Firefox due to lack of Windows, it doesn't stop me from doing anything at all. I didn't know they stopped the Windows users from getting .torrents though. What if you want to get a perfectly legal Linux iso that way? I don't think CCA is what checks your bandwidth usage for torrents though. They probably use something like Wireshark or something to see how much data you're pulling/pushing.

Hightide
January 15th, 2008, 10:24 AM
never heard the like of this before.. an ISP deciding what OS you should use or something like that.

change your ISP asap

:)

wana10
January 15th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Seriously??? We have CCA at my school too, but since I only log in through Firefox due to lack of Windows, it doesn't stop me from doing anything at all. I didn't know they stopped the Windows users from getting .torrents though. What if you want to get a perfectly legal Linux iso that way? I don't think CCA is what checks your bandwidth usage for torrents though. They probably use something like Wireshark or something to see how much data you're pulling/pushing.

srsly...it was blanking ridiculous. and back then ('bout a year and a half ago, i've transferred uni's for other reasons) i only had my windows laptop. i must have tried every way to save a torrent file to my hard-drive before i tried the open in azureus button and *poof* it worked...boy did i feel foolish:) i had actually tried to be a good little boy and go through the it department at the university regarding my lack of ability to download different linux virtual machines and what they told me essentially boiled down to "tough cookies" so i did what any moderately able computer user would do...found a way to bypass it:KS (i fought the law, and I won!! take that you fascist pigs!)
annoyed me enough when i had to install ccaa to start with and then to limit my usage? screw that. luckily the uni had a large enough bandwith that i could essentially always leave my laptop seeding with an uncapped upload limit and it never affected anything else i did through the network ;)

samwyse
January 15th, 2008, 11:25 AM
My ISP (in student housing) did this some years ago. The connection at first was configured by entering manually IP number and gateway stuff, but then they changed it to some kind of a Windows only VPN client thing. I had to install Windows for a couple of days until I found a workaround. I had to configure pptp tunneling which was a pain to set up and wasn't very reliable. A year after that I guess the ISP figured the system was crappy and changed the network to just work automatically by DHCP.