PDA

View Full Version : fluxbox, fvwm-crystal or e17?

chris4585
January 13th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Who prefers which of these three lightweight DE's? and why?

I for one am really likeing fvwm-crystal, and cant wait for mint e17 to come out

I really dont think there's much of a ram usage difference between these three, whats your experiences?

Sef
January 13th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

-grubby
January 13th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I've only tried fluxbox and e17. I'd have to sya e17 is buggier and is heavier on resources. But maybe I'm biased because i love fluxbox so much

TeaSwigger
January 13th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I've only tried fluxbox and e17. I'd have to sya e17 is buggier and is heavier on resources. But maybe I'm biased because i love fluxbox so much

Also my experience. But I too am probably partial to Fluxbox, and moreover we have to allow that e17 is still not a "stable" release. They're both great as far as I'm concerned.

Despite the huge variety among them, they have much in common, particularly e17 & Flux. Including a certain timidity or aversion to documentation, being content to drag on until they have a version in beta longer than people have associated beta with carrotine, and their stables are so ancient the Venetians could've taken the St. Marks steeds from 'em.

Anyway, try and chose the one you like, that's all that matters :)

smartboyathome
January 13th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I haven't tried Fluxbox except with one distribution I can't remember. I also tried FVWM-Crystal, and found it hard to edit the colors and such. I find E17 a little buggier and a little heavier on reasources, but on my comp it only measures 22 mb of ram on my comp, so it really isn't much of a difference for me. I like E17 because it is friendlier than the others (though I can't speak for Fluxbox), and it was easy to create/edit themes to my liking. I imagine that once E17 becomes stable (it is getting there, trust me!), it will be one of the hottest DEs around. The only huge downside to E17 I have seen is that it isn't a window manager, yet isn't a full blown DE, meaning that it won't be able to run compiz fusion. :(

init1
January 13th, 2008, 06:56 AM
If you want to try a really minimal WM try wm2, flwm, or 9wm.

chris4585
January 13th, 2008, 08:38 AM

I like all of these environments, fluxbox for its of course very lightweight and its very functional, e17 of course for its lightweight and eye-candy with ease of use, and fvwm for its lightweightness and customizability, I cant say enough about how much i'm waiting for mint e17 though

Also my experience. But I too am probably partial to Fluxbox, and moreover we have to allow that e17 is still not a "stable" release. They're both great as far as I'm concerned.

Despite the huge variety among them, they have much in common, particularly e17 & Flux. Including a certain timidity or aversion to documentation, being content to drag on until they have a version in beta longer than people have associated beta with carrotine, and their stables are so ancient the Venetians could've taken the St. Marks steeds from 'em.

Anyway, try and chose the one you like, that's all that matters :)

I cant wait for e17 to be stable!

I haven't tried Fluxbox except with one distribution I can't remember. I also tried FVWM-Crystal, and found it hard to edit the colors and such. I find E17 a little buggier and a little heavier on reasources, but on my comp it only measures 22 mb of ram on my comp, so it really isn't much of a difference for me. I like E17 because it is friendlier than the others (though I can't speak for Fluxbox), and it was easy to create/edit themes to my liking. I imagine that once E17 becomes stable (it is getting there, trust me!), it will be one of the hottest DEs around. The only huge downside to E17 I have seen is that it isn't a window manager, yet isn't a full blown DE, meaning that it won't be able to run compiz fusion. :(

You should try fluxbox, tinyflux, mint flux and fluxbuntu are all great, I like tinyflux, mint flux, and fluxbuntu in that order, you dont know what you're missing out. I also agree with you that e17 how it will be when its stable, I can imagin a whole new generation of distributions, and i'd love to run compiz on e17 or any of these, i'm so use to using the scroll bar button on my mouse for switching workspaces, though to be honest I dont know much about compiz and the DE's I mentioned, can someone enlightenment about compiz and these DE's?

urukrama
January 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
From the above mentioned three, I'd go for Fvwm-crystal.

It is hard to configure, but you can do fun things with it, and I like the way it works better than Fluxbox. E17 has never really interested me. E16 was better, though.

fuscia
January 13th, 2008, 02:33 PM
and moreover we have to allow that e17 is still not a "stable" release.

and never will be, but i guess that's part of its charm. if you catch e17 on the right day, it can be a lot of fun and is always fast. the configuration is a nightmare, though. i have never seen so many icons lost forever.

i despise fvwm-crystal.

fluxbox is great. once you get the menu dance over with, it's very functional and easy to use.

however, i'm hooked on wmii. using a tiling window manager is a different experience and one that, for now, i prefer.

kelvin spratt
January 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM
On my computer e17 runs at lightning speed thats because I run it as it should be run on its own, and configured as it should and can be. I can't remember the last time it crashed. I run Cinelerra and multimedia editing apps so it is used for more than surfing the net. I also use animated wallpaper and icons.