PDA

View Full Version : How did you find Ubuntu?

cbudden
September 17th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I found it from another forum listing free stuff, one of which was Ubuntu CD's. So glad i did! What about you?

majikstreet
September 17th, 2005, 10:31 PM
I found it from another forum listing free stuff, one of which was Ubuntu CD's. So glad i did! What about you?
I knew about Ubuntu for a while, but I never installed it because I thought it was a windows person distro.

But, somehow I decided to install it and it was great....

majikstreet

I don't know how I stumbled upon it though.

Wolki
September 17th, 2005, 10:32 PM

I think it was on the Mandrake Forums... or maybe OSnews, can't really remember anymore. I know that I had seen the name for quite some time before I first tried installing it.

poofyhairguy
September 17th, 2005, 10:35 PM
I had tried like 12 distros, and I thought I liked Sid best but it was hard to use. After two weeks of fighting Sid, I read an Ubuntu preview release review. Was hooked from then on out.

primeirocrime
September 17th, 2005, 10:45 PM
I was using fedora core 3 and one I decided to try debian, went to distrowatch and found out about ubuntu. I liked the philosophy and so I installed a Hoary release candidate don't remember wich.

tageiru
September 17th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I heard from a friend about this distro that apparently was created in africa by a billionare that also was an astronaut. It sounded so weird that I had to try it. It was even before warty had been released and nobody had heard about it.

I have been hooked ever since.

WebbyBabe
September 17th, 2005, 10:58 PM
A ffriend of mine told me about it. They told me about distrowatch.com and I saw it was #1 on there so I downloaded it.

zenwhen
September 17th, 2005, 11:01 PM
A quick Googling of my real name, Troy McFerron, can show you how I found Ubuntu.

This is a link (http://www.vmlinuz.com.ar/?q=node/view/174) to one site that posted my email to Pat Volkerdi about the lack of Gnome 2.8 packages for Slackware 10.1. I started looking for a distro that focused on Gnome, and found Ubuntu,

I am quite glad that he made the decision to make his distro useless to me, because I found a distro with a wonderful community and much better package management.

Muhammad
September 17th, 2005, 11:06 PM
A member at http://forums.adventchildren.net advised me to use it.

FNM
September 18th, 2005, 02:26 AM
I was using Fedora, and heard all the fuss about Ubuntu, and also saw that it was ranked #1 on DistroWatch, so I had to give it a try. So far, compared to Mandrake, Fedora Core, and SUSE, I've found it to be the best.

endy
September 18th, 2005, 02:44 AM
A quick Googling of my real name, Troy McFerron, can show you how I found Ubuntu.

This is a link (http://www.vmlinuz.com.ar/?q=node/view/174) to one site that posted my email to Pat Volkerdi about the lack of Gnome 2.8 packages for Slackware 10.1. I started looking for a distro that focused on Gnome, and found Ubuntu,

I am quite glad that he made the decision to make his distro useless to me, because I found a distro with a wonderful community and much better package management.

I switched for similar reasons.

MinoltaLuvR
September 18th, 2005, 02:47 AM
heh word of mouth can really make a distro.
a neighbor built an Athlon 64 sempron rig, and put ubuntu on it.
i loved the UI, and the feel of it, so i went to a friends house with cable (my dsl would have taken hours, his cable.. minutes).
i was at first going to build me an Athlon 64 rig just for ubuntu.. but it runs so well on this ancient hardware of mine, its made upgrading a thing for the future.

cheers
john.

racecat
September 18th, 2005, 03:07 AM
After trying (and mostly struggling) with several distros, I found a recommendation for Ubuntu on a forum. I don't remember which.

Happy trails.
Bill

skatedawe
September 18th, 2005, 03:11 AM
My classmate introduce it for me on our school laptop, i had Suse before on the laptop. Now i have it on my main. I switched because of the feeling.

xequence
September 18th, 2005, 03:20 AM
I heard the whole "south africa rich guy goes to space then makes a linux distro" and it sounded cool. I was happy a rich person wasnt trying to monopolize the world and I kept it in the back of my head until I decided windows was getting really annoying and found it again, then installed it.

matthew
September 18th, 2005, 03:22 AM
I had been using knoppix and wanted to attempt to do an actual linux install as a dual boot. I installed Debian using the knoppix cd, but I was just too new to figure out what I was doing. Then I got some cds from 3 or 4 linux magazines and tried a few different distros...some installed, some didn't, but none of them felt right...sorry, it's the artist in me, sometimes I can't quantify. I had ordered the hoary cd through shipit, but before it came I saw another linux mag at the bookstore and it had the hoary cd in it. I bought it, installed it, loved it, eventually noticed that I hadn't actually booted into Windows for over a month, had a hard drive die and when I started over I only installed Ubuntu. All that took about 9 months.

Goober
September 18th, 2005, 05:53 AM
I just had Word decide to refuse to work, and randomly shut down, meaning my 1,500 word English Essay i spent a week upon died. And then somehow, Windows decided to randomly delete stuff, which i blame on a virus.

Then I noticed something named "Ubuntu Linux", which was some body giving away some free 4.10 CDs, so I decided, why not? What do I have to lose at this point? So i got it, installed it, and it worked. Ironically enough, Windows managed to screw up its MBR 2 days before I got the CD, so it refused to work.

When I say I really, REALLY detest Windows, its with a reason. Linux seems like heaven after Windows. I haven't tried any other versions of Linux, mainly because I lack time, and also because, well, Ubuntu works fine, and I'm too darn lazy to try anything new.

Anyway, there is my short, sad, and Windows-hating story. Well, it explains how I got Linux, and why I detest Windows. Anyway, enough rambling . . .

BTW, this all happened in June/May of this year. Just before my first year of University ended. I blame Word taking down my Essay for depriving me of a A, giving me only an A- in English.

Kuolio
September 18th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Well, humm..

I've been havin fun with computers for a long time, I'm now 22 and more than half of that time I have owned a PC of my own. When growing up, I think I was about 18 or so, i started to grow intrest on doing something else than playing games and watching bad p0rn-clips on my machines. I fidled bit with web-programming and editing, took some classes about java-programming and so on.

Now, I'm a computer enthusiast, and I had by then heard lots of wonderful stuff said about Apples Macs, and also lots of not-so-wonderful.. so they sounded pretty interesting, and I ended up buying one.

And man-oh-man, OS X (version 1) just blew my brains out and left me drooling when I got my hands on one. To cut the long story short, i started to hack more and more with it, came familiar with it's *nix background and cli, then thought "hey, i think linux could be like this with my PC" and installed suse. From suse I leaped to gentoo, and it still runs on some of my machines (those that i can leave to compile). 3 months ago I bought new lappy, thought "bah, compiling would suck with this and realy, it isn't in sync with my idea about portability and ease of use".

Then, after reading some reviews, i downloaded Ubuntu and my lappy has been happy (whoo, wadda rime!) ever since.

manicka
September 18th, 2005, 07:38 AM
I started reading about it on another forum and eventually curiosity got the better of me.

chimera
September 18th, 2005, 08:30 AM
I had lost my 300GB windows partition in an unfortunate accident(read:in an attempt to resize it with partition magic).I told that to one of ym friends(who happens to be a linux zealot),and he showed me ubuntu.I played around with the liveCD for a while,and yesterday I installed it.

chimera

Galoot
September 18th, 2005, 10:02 AM
I typed Which linux distribution matches my appliances? into Google, hit "I'm Feeling Lucky" and Ubuntu came up.

Kimm
September 18th, 2005, 10:18 AM
It was mentioned in a Computer magazine :)

Vulpus
September 18th, 2005, 10:24 AM
It was on a cover disk on Linux Format magazine. I read the review in the mag and decided to give it a go. Previously I was a Mandrake user but was never 100% happy with it. I like the 'feel' of Ubuntu a lot more.

bearbigears
September 18th, 2005, 10:34 PM
i had tried six different linux distro's. it was a bit frustrating, i read an article about ubuntu. so i downloaded the iso for live cd and full installation. the live cd recognized everything right out of the box, i installed it two hours later. i have not looked back. i have learned so much with this one distro that i am an ubuntu lifer.

:)

wjp.reg
September 18th, 2005, 10:52 PM
I was influenced by a past moderator of a SuSE support forum to give ubuntu a try. I was particularly 'smitten' by the gnome interface, only to find now that the whole world (including linux developers) have chosen KDE! I am now running kubuntu 5.04/ 5.10 and suse 9.3, Windows XP Pro

andlinux21
September 18th, 2005, 10:59 PM
my first distro was red hat but then I went on to try mandrake and suse i enjoyed suse but it was hard to get everything set up like i wanted. My nephew was telling me about ubuntu and so i tried it on my old Micron laptop it worked out the box except sound i was impressed I am building a ubuntu server next :)

dtfinch
September 18th, 2005, 11:10 PM
I think I tried it after seeing a Warty press release on Slashdot.

Freddy
September 18th, 2005, 11:26 PM
I just stumbled across a post in a swedish forum on a computer magazine called DMZ and after I saw that a KDE version was underway I had to try it. In the process of installing, I happend to break my Fedora and here I am :) /// Freddan

Perfect Storm
September 18th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Some guys was talking about beta testing ubuntu 4.10 at the mandrivausers.org board so I decided to go along :)....used Ubuntu ever since with extra partitions setup for extra distro I want to try.
Then I heard there was an unofficial ubuntu board (which is now official) and joined the board as member number 14 http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_dance.gif

.:=The AI Dude=:.

mstlyevil
September 19th, 2005, 01:12 AM
I read about it in PC World magazine. They had nothing but glowing comments about it. I like my Win XP, but was still wanting to play around with Linux. I downloaded it and have been dual booting since.

Technoviking
September 19th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Heard it reviewed in the same week by LUG Radio and Linux Link Tech Tech Podcasts.

Mike