PDA

View Full Version : Sir Edmund Hillary died...

CCNA_student
January 12th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Just in case you do not know who Sir Edmund Hillary was, he was the world's first man to climb Mount Everest, and he did this in 1953. I decided to note this since few explorers like him were left anymore.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4352038a11.html

Sin Cere,

CCNA

slimdog360
January 12th, 2008, 08:02 AM
wasn't he like the second or something?

edit: I should mention that Im not having a dig at him, or even saying that Im right because Im probably wrong, just trying to get the story straight.

CCNA_student
January 12th, 2008, 08:03 AM
No, he was first.

p_quarles
January 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM
wasn't he like the second or something?

edit: I should mention that Im not having a dig at him, or even saying that Im right because Im probably wrong, just trying to get the story straight.
He wasn't second or first: he was tied for first with Tenzing Norgay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenzing_Norgay).

slimdog360
January 12th, 2008, 08:08 AM
yep, I just looked it up.

master5o1
January 12th, 2008, 08:44 AM
That cartoon looks nothing like him :D

He's on New Zealand's $5 note and has been since 1991. Only person to be featured on Nz's money while Alive (well There are images of Queen Elizabeth II too but she's not a Nz'r)

All of yesterdays news items here were about him. The moment he died it was like nothing else happened in New Zealand.

KiwiNZ
January 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Sir Edmund Hilary was a fantastic person and will be greatly missed.

Rest in peace

Haere Ra

mips
January 12th, 2008, 10:18 AM
He wasn't second or first: he was tied for first with Tenzing Norgay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenzing_Norgay).

They called it a team effort but years later Norgay said that Hillary put his foot on the summit first. No biggie really.

Nomen Luni
January 12th, 2008, 02:02 PM
No, he was first.

Westerner. The Nepalese had been up and down Everest for years before.

gn2
January 12th, 2008, 03:17 PM
He was the first westerner to succesfully descend from the summit of Everest with evidence of having been at the summit.

As to whether he was the first westerner on the summit will never be known for certain.

bailout
January 12th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Westerner. The Nepalese had been up and down Everest for years before.

Nonsense.

Polygon
January 12th, 2008, 05:51 PM
No, i just read 'into thin air' and watched a documentary about everest (the imax) one for ap english, hillary and norgay were definitely the first two people up

One other group attempted it, but they never made it back down, and they found their corpses some number of years later, but I think they found out by some position of the body or something that he never made it to the top.

and for the first expeditions of everest, people did not use sherpas, so it was a big deal that one of them made it to the top.

Dixon Bainbridge
January 12th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Nonsense.

Nope. Believe it or not, but there are peoples that actually did stuff before white man claimed to do things.

logos34
January 12th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Nope. Believe it or not, but there are peoples that actually did stuff before white man claimed to do things.

yes, but all the way up to 29K without oxygen bottles and specialized alpine gear? Not even acclimatized Nepalese could handle that I think...Everest is so high Demoiselle cranes can't fly over it on their migrations.

The only mountain more treacherous is K2.

Edit: looks like I'm the idiot. On checking the facts looks like quite a few have made it up w/o supplemental air, but not until 1978 (officially). Duh. But I am right about the birds and K2 (x3 mortality rate of everest).

KiwiNZ
January 12th, 2008, 07:47 PM
This thread is for rememberence of a great humanitarian. Please keep the nonsense and uninformed debate out of it.

logos34
January 12th, 2008, 08:11 PM
[edit]

p_quarles
January 12th, 2008, 08:14 PM
This thread is for rememberence of a great humanitarian.
His philanthropy was something I was completely unaware of until I heard an obituary on the radio yesterday. He put a great deal of time and effort into his foundation, the Himalayan Trust. His actions --including gettings schools and medical centers build -- have had an enormous positive impact on regions that may otherwise have been left behind.

stewiehnz
January 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM
In the Himalayan region he his held in the same regard as the Dalai Lama.

This quote is from the Digital Tibetan Buddist Altar "Everest was his smallest achievement. His greatest achievement was what came after."

He was a truly great man with a heart of gold.

He will now be reunited with his climbing partner Tenzing.

Rest in piece.