PDA

View Full Version : Can't catch a break

~LoKe
January 11th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I've been spending the last 6 months of my life getting physically prepared for a career in the Canadian Forces. I spent an additional 6 months before that doing my research to figure out what I'm in for and what I'm best suited for.

Well, all that came to an end today. I received a letter from the medical centre in Ottawa, which says that I've been denied because of "occasional anxiety". I'm not really sure how they came up with this. Sure, my pulse was a little fast when they checked my BP, but can they blame me? The results of my test and the interview immediately after would decide the rest of my life, and whether or not I'd be able to do my dream job, a job I've wanted since I was 13.

You'll have to forgive me for being a little bit nervous; I'm human.

What to do now? There's nothing else I'm suited for and this was my only chance to fix this ***** life.

Sorry, I had to rant.

Amstell
January 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Well in all honesty, that was not the path you are suppose to follow. Search some more and you'll find something new. Have a couple of beers and it'll work out just find. Good luck to you.

Cheers

popch
January 11th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Read the fine print. This appears to be a decision taken by a government agency. There ought to be some explanations on how to request a clarification or even how and where to appeal. If it is not part of the document you received, do some research on the web or call that outfit back to ask.

mips
January 11th, 2008, 06:25 PM
What to do now? There's nothing else I'm suited for and this was my only chance to fix this ***** life.

Don't put yourself down like that. You have the capacity to do just about anything out there so don't confine yourself to a little box.

What exactly did you wan't to do in the military?

~LoKe
January 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM
What exactly did you wan't to do in the military?

Communications Research with either the Army or the Navy. I had hoped to put in several years then move up into CSIS (like the Canadian CIA) or the DND (Department of National Defense). I was considering a career in cryptology but I need their resources to see if I can actually do it.

The good news is that the recruit said this isn't the final word, and that if I can bring new medical information to dispute their claims, they'll reconsider.

Nano Geek
January 11th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Communications Research with either the Army or the Navy. I had hoped to put in several years then move up into CSIS (like the Canadian CIA) or the DND (Department of National Defense). I was considering a career in cryptology but I need their resources to see if I can actually do it.

The good news is that the recruit said this isn't the final word, and that if I can bring new medical information to dispute their claims, they'll reconsider.Why not apply directly at either the CSIS or the DND?
I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but it seems to me that going working for the Army first when you want to work at one of those other government departments is an extra unnecessary step.

~LoKe
January 11th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Why not apply directly at either the CSIS or the DND?
I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but it seems to me that going working for the Army first when you want to work at one of those other government departments is an extra unnecessary step.

The Army/Navy offer a lot of stuff, as well. One of the biggest appeals was the paid education to do whatever you want (so long as it benefits them). As is, I'm a 20 year old guy with only a high school diploma. They wouldn't even consider me.

Nano Geek
January 11th, 2008, 07:08 PM
The Army/Navy offer a lot of stuff, as well. One of the biggest appeals was the paid education to do whatever you want (so long as it benefits them). As is, I'm a 20 year old guy with only a high school diploma. They wouldn't even consider me.I see.
Well, good luck to you and I hope everything gets sorted out.

stalker145
January 11th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Well, all that came to an end today. I received a letter from the medical centre in Ottawa, which says that I've been denied because of "occasional anxiety".

I don't know much about the Canadian forces, but in the U.S. forces, one can get a waiver for anything from traffic tickets and illicit drug use to major medical problems. I would check with your recruiter to see if that is possible.

I know that when I first tried to join the military in '89 I was permanently rejected due to a deformity in my back. No one said a thing about waivers. When I decided to try again in '91, I had the same problem, of course, but my recruiter was more knowledgeable and directed me toward the waiver. I've been in ever since.

Check it out. It doesn't hurt to ask.

ZapalacX
January 11th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I was considering a career in cryptology but I need their resources to see if I can actually do it.

It'd be way cooler if your were considering cryptozoology.

Good Luck, Loke.

mips
January 11th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Why not apply directly at either the CSIS or the DND?

The CSIS requires a bachelors degree as a minimum entry requirement.

What about the technical operations dept. of the RCMP?

Bruce M.
January 11th, 2008, 08:21 PM

The good news is that the recruit said this isn't the final word, and that if I can bring new medical information to dispute their claims, they'll reconsider.

I'm retired from the C.F. and if my memory serves me well, and things haven't changed in the last 10 years, Communications Research is not a trade you can join directly. You must enter the C.F. in another trade and then apply for a "remuster" (change trades). The key words being "apply for", it's not always accepted.

If you are convinced, which you seem to be, that this is for you, I'd be talking with my family doctor and getting looked at by speclists. That second paragraph above is a "key" to fight for what you want. The recruiter was, quite possibly, telling you just that: fight for what you want, we'll be watching.

Good Luck ~LoKe

Quick question: Why did you rule out the Air side of the house?

I remember going from the R.C.A.F. to the C.A.F (Canadian Armed Forces) and then they decided they didn't like the "Armed" so changed it again to C.F. Just when I was convinced that C.A.F. really meant Canadian Air Force :lolflag:

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Bruce

~LoKe
January 11th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I'm retired from the C.F. and if my memory serves me well, and things haven't changed in the last 10 years, Communications Research is not a trade you can join directly. You must enter the C.F. in another trade and then apply for a "remuster" (change trades). The key words being "apply for", it's not always accepted.
Well, I put down Comm Rsch as my first choice, and nothing as the second and third. I went to the interview and he said there was only one position available, (but 19 in the navy, so I might end up there) and said nothing about not joining directly. Perhaps things have changed after all. ;)

Quick question: Why did you rule out the Air side of the house?

Colourblind. ;(

ahm911
January 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
hey man i know the feeling of dissapointment i applied for electrical engineering at my uni and got accepted into arts after i kept calling they said i didnt meet their requirements. i was enrolled in the chemestry course as i was applying and somehow the busy person signing off the people forgot to add the fine detail that i am finishing off my last required course.

moral here sometimes theres a small mistake or something overlooked that will cause unnecessary rejection. if u want something never give up, seriously best of luck to you!

kamaboko
January 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I don't know much about the Canadian forces, but in the U.S. forces, one can get a waiver for anything from traffic tickets and illicit drug use to major medical problems. I would check with your recruiter to see if that is possible.

To balance that statement, it wasn't always like that. Since the "Free Iraq" fiasco, the US military has substantially dropped their requirements. I don't even want to debate this. I've got friends over there ranging from Major to Colonel and that's where I got my info from. They often use the word "appalling" to describe the quality of recruits the last three years.

Bruce M.
January 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Well, I put down Comm Rsch as my first choice, and nothing as the second and third. I went to the interview and he said there was only one position available, (but 19 in the navy, so I might end up there) and said nothing about not joining directly. Perhaps things have changed after all. ;)

Yes, things change. OK, 20 positions, 1 Army, and 19 Navy.
Go fight for one of them :)

Colourblind. ;(

Oh, OK, so it not so much that you ruled it out, your eyes did. :(

~LoKe
January 11th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Oh, OK, so it not so much that you ruled it out, your eyes did. :(

Yep. Luckily for me it was never much of an interest (I'd still love to do it, though), and the position I chose was available to me despite having less than perfect vision and being colourblind.

So...the next step is to go to my doctor, have him check my record and see if there's anything about anxiety. I've never had an anxiety attack, so I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion. I'll have him check my BP again, too.

stalker145
January 11th, 2008, 09:13 PM
To balance that statement, it wasn't always like that. Since the "Free Iraq" fiasco, the US military has substantially dropped their requirements. I don't even want to debate this. I've got friends over there ranging from Major to Colonel and that's where I got my info from. They often use the word "appalling" to describe the quality of recruits the last three years.

You're correct that the quality of recruits has dropped in the last few years as compared to the <cough> quality recruits we had smoking pot, thieving, and even running prostitution rings in the barracks under the watchful eye of their NCO's in the 70's. Thanks for your experienced insight.

I was speaking of something that happened almost 20 years ago and not since the "'Free Iraq' fiasco", but thanks for your topically relevant input.

~LoKe, I do hope things work out for you.