PDA

View Full Version : Property Software for GNU/Linux - is it good ?

MaximB
January 11th, 2008, 03:13 PM
We all know that FREE source is superior to Closed and property source and most of us prefer it.
But some companies are not willing to release their source code and it's their right.
But they are still willing to make GNU/Linux ports for their software.

So, what do you think about it ?
Do you belong to the group of people that say that if it's not free as freedom it doesn't exists for me ?
Or would you accept any software as long as it has a GNU/Linux port ?

I think that such programs are actually good for GNU/Linux.
As we know FREE source is evolution, in code and in art and in mind as well.
Some companies does not prepare YET to release their source code but they are willing to make a GNU/Linux ports - something that they might were not ready to do a few years ago.
So it's evolution of ideas, they are at this stage now, and that's ok.
It's still gives us choice to buy the product or not - this one freedom is a small part of the FREEDOM's of GNU/Linux - but it's still a part, we still have some choice.
It's still much better then don't have this choice at all.

So yes I think that property and closed source software WITH GNU/Linux port is still good for GNU/Linux.

az
January 11th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Good or bad? For me or for Gnu/linux?

Is my choice to run proprietary software? No. I avoid it. Even if I owned a computer that needed proprietary drivers to run things like 3d effects, I would not use them. But that's my choice and I don't care if others think it's good or bad.

I don't care what other people use, either. It's their choice. Ubuntu ships with proprietary drivers, but you get a choice to not use them. You can easily remove all non-free/libre software from your computer using the package manager.

Is making non-free software available for Gnu/Linux good or bad? It depends.

If the software is properly maintained, then there is less incentive for free/libre alternatives to be written. That translates into the user who cares about not giving away any freedoms to run software having to wait until there is a free/libre implementation of the software.

Luckily, there are very few proprietary projects that are properly maintained. That means they break and that gives more people the incentive to write free/libre software to replace it.

On the other hard, if the proprietary software will encourage others to use the free/libre platform, that will increase adoption and end up increasing the number of people who contribute back to the code.

So, in any meaning of the question, it's not a yes/no answer. It just depends.

Vadi
January 11th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Better than nothing, if it's a quality app and there is no open-source replacement.

I'm going with free as in speech here, I'm very fine with paying / donating for programs.

MaximB
January 13th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Off course by FREE I mean FREE as FREEDOM and not necessary like beer.
I know few guys who think that property software is bad for GNU/Linux, but I don't get why it's bad if it gives us more freedom to chose ad expending market share ?

Whoever think it's bad please explain why.