PDA

View Full Version : Beware Pirates, New usb cables have DRM protection

hhhhhx
January 11th, 2008, 09:25 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/18/usb-cables-back-movie-industry?

so... how long do you think it will take to hack this one? :)

Amstell
January 11th, 2008, 09:35 AM
won't take long to hack but who the hell would buy something like that. I'm sure companies will have no problem keeping it simple and not implementing this. Stupid

winsall
January 11th, 2008, 09:38 AM
now, im by no means an expert, but if this thing picks up on pirated HD video (IE that hasnt been authorised by the media companies), then what happens if you have a HD video camera? will they just tell you that you cant use it? it seems a bit defective by design if you ask me - just like HDMI and DRM.

chewearn
January 11th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Whoo wee, where can I get one? I want one, now!

kvonb
January 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM
-

hhhhhx
January 11th, 2008, 10:01 AM
erm, don't know if you noticed or not, but the name of that site is "Enquirer"!

Isn't that a loonie paper in the US that has stories about "Aliens ate my baby" type things?

um...its inquirer not enquirer

Tundro Walker
January 12th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Who the hell would pay money for something that limits what they can do with it? Oh, wait...yeah, all those Vista folks...

Just slap "Vista Compatible!" on it, and watch it go like hot-cakes.

chris4585
January 12th, 2008, 11:03 AM
it said usb cables, what about usb flash drives?

steeleyuk
January 12th, 2008, 11:59 AM
erm, don't know if you noticed or not, but the name of that site is "Enquirer"!

Isn't that a loonie paper in the US that has stories about "Aliens ate my baby" type things?

"Inquirer" and its the tech-news equivalent... :)

SunnyRabbiera
January 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I am not sure how they would do this though, its rather difficult getting firmware onto a wire like that...
Unless they had a large block on the end of it and people would complain on how that block hinders them

moeFinley
January 12th, 2008, 12:28 PM
HA HA, DRMed hardware. That's always be successful in the past!! :)

"Oh Oh, please let me pay even more money so I can do less and have to jump through hoops to get anything to work!!"

:lolflag:

DAM iPod being the exception to the rule

steeleyuk
January 12th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I am not sure how they would do this though, its rather difficult getting firmware onto a wire like that...
Unless they had a large block on the end of it and people would complain on how that block hinders them

The DRM mechanism would probably be built into a chip inside the interface of the hardware. Both at the computer end and the device end. I can't imagine it physically being inside the cable to be honest.

Nomen Luni
January 12th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Another idea to be filed under "STUPID".

gn2
January 12th, 2008, 03:33 PM
That story should really have been kept for April 1st.

Linuxratty
January 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Who the hell would pay money for something that limits what they can do with it? .

people that don't know it's on there...When I see a cable,how can I tell,just by looking if it's wearing a DRM condom?

slimdog360
January 12th, 2008, 03:44 PM
hahaha, that is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. If they somehow, oneday became the norm Id be making the cables myself.

bufsabre666
January 12th, 2008, 06:16 PM
truth is the only people drm doesnt effect is pirates

Linuxratty
January 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM
truth is the only people drm doesnt effect is pirates

I noticed that as well. Funny how that works.

LookTJ
January 12th, 2008, 06:24 PM
truth is the only people drm doesnt effect is piratesI think that too, it only hurts the media/record companies in my opinion.

bufsabre666
January 12th, 2008, 06:26 PM
its true, theres tons of music on bittorrent but ive never downloaded any with drm =P

kamaboko
January 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I'm not holding my breath on this one. To date I have never been nicked by DRM and MS products or any other hardware/software vendor for that fact, so I can't imagine this USB cable is going to cause me any concern. There are so many things wrong with this type of implementation that I don't even want to get my self started this morning. lol.