PDA

View Full Version : Laptops. Hinges. Are they replaceable? Are they tightenable?

Roasted
January 11th, 2008, 06:37 AM
My girlfriend has a Dell Inspiron laptop and the hinge is relatively loose. The whole top part (the screen) will flop around about an inch or so. Is it possible to crack it open and tighten up the hinges?

This also prompted curiosity about my new laptop, which is a Toshiba Satellite A215-S7422. It has the ibook style hinge, so it's a bit different than the Dell. However, my question still remains... generally, can you tighten laptop hinges? Or do you have to buy a replacement part for it?

I've gone multiple google searches for replacement hinges for both the Dell as well as my Toshiba (just for kicks). I've been unable to find anything. Does anybody have a definite answer? If I go to a computer shop, how much would they likely charge me to fix this?

yabbadabbadont
January 11th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Call Dell and Toshiba (or e-mail them) and ask. That is the best way to get an accurate answer. ;)

Roasted
January 11th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Well yeah, definitely. I'm just trying to get a general response from people, seeing as though I'm betting a lot of the userbase here tinkers with hardware repair or perhaps even works in that field.

zxscooby
January 11th, 2008, 06:54 AM
one of the hinges on my girlfriend dell cracked while still under warranty,
the warranty department decided it was more economical for them to just replace her whole computer than to fix the hinge,

K.Mandla
January 11th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Yes, they're replaceable. I don't ever tighten them, since they're fairly cheap to replace and most of the loose ones I've seen were stripped beyond tightening.

If you check Dell's support pages you'll find service manuals for each model. From there you can find the right part number and check prices on ebay.

Of course if the machine is still fairly new you should harass Dell to fix them for you, rather than opening the case yourself. But if it's an older machine, it only takes an hour to do it, and the price will be manageable.

What model of Inspiron is it?

Roasted
January 11th, 2008, 07:03 AM
It's a 6000.

What about the Toshiba? I sent to Toshiba's site and ended up on the parts page, where Toshiba said they do not sell parts to end users, however you can buy parts from another place and they had a link there. I went to that site and sure enough - I found nothing. I emailed them, though.

I wonder what a service shop would charge? Like if I were to have to pay for it.

hotweiss
January 11th, 2008, 07:32 AM
This happened to my Toshiba. You don't need to buy any parts, but you do have to remove your notebooks whole bottom panel to tighten the hinge screws that hold your screen.

Roasted
January 11th, 2008, 07:40 AM
What model do you have? Plus, on your model is the hinge part attached to the top part or is it attached to the bottom part? The kind I have, A215-S7422, is attached to the top part, very similar to the ibook hinge.

.nedberg
January 11th, 2008, 08:04 AM
You can tighten them. I do it all the time with the 200+ Dell laptops I administer at work. How you do it depends a bit on the model. I flip open the small pannel with the powerbutton and led-indicators and you can tighten it from there. It is quite easy!

K.Mandla
January 11th, 2008, 08:32 AM
It's a 6000.
Just as an example. ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Inspiron-6000-Set-of-Hinges-Left-Right-15-4_W0QQitemZ150204451477QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3666QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/sm/display0.htm#wp1006390

It's not a beginner's job, but it shouldn't take more than an hour to do it.

I wonder what a service shop would charge? Like if I were to have to pay for it.
I'd be afraid to ask. See if you can get a geek you trust to change them for you. I would strongly suggest that over a paid job.

But before anything else, see if you can just tighten them first.

Roasted
January 11th, 2008, 03:33 PM
You can tighten them. I do it all the time with the 200+ Dell laptops I administer at work. How you do it depends a bit on the model. I flip open the small pannel with the powerbutton and led-indicators and you can tighten it from there. It is quite easy!

I wonder if my Toshiba is just that easy. :(

I don't get this. I posted this question on another forum. Some people are like YES, YOU CAN. Others are like nope, sorry.

grrrrrrrr

Roasted
January 12th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I called a computer shop tonight. They said some models can, some can't. Some you can buy parts for, others you can't. They said from a labor standpoint they can replace the hinges as long as the part is available... so more or less it's about finding the part. Considering the fact I tried finding the part from Toshiba just for fun to see if it's available and have come up with empty hands, I'm willing to bet that that'll be a tricky task.

However, on Toshiba's web site, it did have another site linked as to where you can buy parts. However, that site didn't have what I needed, but encouraged users to send an email, which I did... yet no response yet.

Blah. I guess I just may be getting a new laptop if this one's hinge craps out on me. Not that I expect that to happen... I just like to see replacement parts are available if need be. So far, this one is a winner in my book though.

Roasted
January 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I can't seem to shake this... I keep looking at other mainstream computer models on the market and there are web sites littered with replacement parts, including bezels, lcd panels, and hinges... yet, for my laptop? No. Nothing. Maybe at best, a replacement door for where the RAM is stored.

COME ON NOW. That's ridiculous. A mainstream computer company that doesn't sell replacement parts to ANYBODY at all? Are you kidding me? There has to be a site out there with something more than a RAM door...

edit - k so after my little ramble I found something out. My particular model of laptop is pretty much brand spanking new, and considering all laptops come with a minimal of 1 year warranty... well... what use is there of vendors picking up parts when you can get it freely fixed under warranty?

My only question is this. Say my hinge gets loose. Not terribly loose... but just a tid bit more than when it was brand new. As I near the end of my 1 year warranty which is like Thanksgiving of 2008... I wonder if I can ship it back and just complain that it's loose. I wonder if they'd just tighten it/replace under warranty while it's already sent out there, then ship it back? That way I could have a "new start" on that hardware so by the time it craps out again (if at all) the system will be relatively outdated and I'll be upgrading anyway. Ehh? I wonder... Any opinions on this theory?

ellemoo
April 7th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I have developed a TOSHIBA BRAKE HINGE revision set. It is applicablle for Toshiba hinge partnumbers:
P000392930/40
P000377630/40
P000379650/60
P000392250/60
P000394150/60
P000380770/80
P000347860/50
P000349070/60
P000353180/90
P000368300/10
P000378510
See www.impactcomputers.com for models
You need to disassamble your notebook yourself.
See www.irisvista.com

For detailed information mail me: tjanssen@chello.nl

foto:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=wlznbjcpyw4&thumb=4

kingweee
April 22nd, 2008, 12:43 PM
I noticed there weren't any concrete replies to your question OP.

I have an Inspiron 6000 and just recently tightened the display hinge assembly.

First thing you need to do is go check out the Dell service guide.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/sm/index.htm

Next, follow the instructions labeled Display assembly and display latch

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/sm/display0.htm#wp1006390

After you have removed the display bezel, remove the three screws that hold down each hinge. In my case, the hinges themselves weren't the problem; rather, the screws that held the hinges in place had become loose over time. All I did was remove and put back the hinge screw assembly and things were just like new.

Hope this helps.

ellemoo
April 30th, 2008, 11:02 AM
TOSHIBA BRAKE HINGE revision set.
see more on:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=931737&p=2
last post

scobee
May 16th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I am not sure if you have solved your problem but I have a similar one. My Inspiron screen has gone floppy and I have found that the hinges are still as tight as ever but the casing around them has come loose and has now broken. I feel that the nice tight screen that it came with was obviously too tight for the casing to handle.
I spent an hour on the phone to a very rude tech support person (Ranjetha) who insists it is "a wear and tear" issue and they refuse to fix it even though it is still under warranty!

My advice to anyone thinking of buying a Dell is DONT! the customer service is non-existent and the warranty has so many holes in it you will end up spending good money after bad.

As for your inspiron, the problem is sure to get worse before Dell expect you to spend hundreds more to get it fixed.

The best of luck!

uraldinho
May 16th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I changed my HP laptop's LCD last week. It's easier than you might think.

Most manufacturers have service guides explaining step by step how to open and fix laptops. I suggest you find the service guide for your laptop and take a look.

If you are a hands-on person and the warranty has expired, you might consider doing it yourself. You can find cheap parts on the famous auction side.

Icehuck
May 16th, 2008, 05:32 AM
My girlfriend has a Dell Inspiron laptop and the hinge is relatively loose. The whole top part (the screen) will flop around about an inch or so. Is it possible to crack it open and tighten up the hinges?

This also prompted curiosity about my new laptop, which is a Toshiba Satellite A215-S7422. It has the ibook style hinge, so it's a bit different than the Dell. However, my question still remains... generally, can you tighten laptop hinges? Or do you have to buy a replacement part for it?

I've gone multiple google searches for replacement hinges for both the Dell as well as my Toshiba (just for kicks). I've been unable to find anything. Does anybody have a definite answer? If I go to a computer shop, how much would they likely charge me to fix this?

It's a Dell laptop which means busted hinges are standard. On dell you don't replace the hinge only, you replace the back piece of the lid. Job takes 20 minutes if that. To get the correct part you go through Dell because the lid is specific to that machine.

You can tighten the hinges with screws but they will just get worse and you still have a little bit of "flop" when moving the screen. Or the hinge will freeze and not function at all causing the hinge to rip the mounting bracket from the system board. If that happens you have to replace the system board to be able to attach the hinge again.

On the older Toshiba models the hinges were attached to the lid, but now I don't know since its been 6 years since we had them.

JSuresh
May 29th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I have a similar problem with my inspiron 6000. A few months ago, I accidentally shut it with a pen inside, and the right hinge cracked a little. Now, the right side of the back cover props up when I try to close the laptop, and the plastic seems to be getting destroyed slowly as I open/close it. Is this just a hinge replacement issue? Because I can find the parts, and I'm sure I can learn how to do it, if that's what the issue is.

nobody291
January 11th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I an issue with my Inspiron 6000 screw holes being stripped where the hinges attach on the display side. In my case at least, the screw holes were tapped deeper than the original screws. I was able to get two longer screws (they're standard computer screws, I was able to get the next longer of the same diameter from the Geek Squad at BestBuy), which hold the latch ok (it still wobbles a little since the new screws hit the bottom of the hole before they are snug). I'm sure this is just a temporary fix since there are just a few threads holding the latch in place, but the computer is 4½ years old, so I'll take as many extra months as I can get.

starcannon
January 11th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Usually laptop hinges that I have come across do allow some adjustment; there are metal hinges underneath the plastic bezel; some laptops the bezels snap on and off the hinges, some laptops require removing the entire top bezel of the laptop, some will also require removing some or all of the plastic on the monitor. there are generally 2 set screws top and bottom of each hinge. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN, if you strip things, then your going to be looking for a new chassis, that can be irritating and time consuming, and even expensive.

I know you don't need parts for yours, but just an example of how to find parts for these sorts of things:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-Satellite-A215-LCD-SCREEN-COVER-LID-HINGES-PART_W0QQitemZ230420797859QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item35a62659a3
Generally its not too rough to get parts, but Laptop Origami is an art best left to the insane or adrenaline junky(i.e. if in doubt, take it to a pro).

GL and HF