PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Mocha?

Lord Illidan
September 17th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Why is everyone now an Ubuntu Mocha Blend? I preferred being a Village Brew Master..
or is it a prologue to an update?

P.S. I read in this thread : http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=66211
that new moderators shall be brought on.
I'd like to know what it takes to be eligible?

Kuolio
September 17th, 2005, 08:52 AM
I for one dont even get the great idea behind this "coffee analogy/terminology" with these forums.. what on earth does coffee have anything to do with linux, and ubuntulinux?

I personaly prefer tee to refreshen my mind&soul in the late/early hours of day :)

Lux Perpetua
September 17th, 2005, 09:11 AM
The Ubuntu/coffee connection is lost on me, as well.

angkor
September 17th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Just a hunch, but it could be the ubuntu brown thing...coffee=sorta brown you know

manicka
September 17th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Why is everyone now an Ubuntu Mocha Blend? I preferred being a Village Brew Master..
or is it a prologue to an update?
As explained in another thread

Its a change made by the Forum Leadership to align the registered users titles.

Lord Illidan
September 17th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Right but will they resort back to the usual?

Also, about the mod stuff I said earlier...can an admin clarify please?

TravisNewman
September 17th, 2005, 03:44 PM
No, this is staying like this. Everyone will be Ubuntu Mocha Blend, unless the title changes, but everyone who is not a mod will now have the same title.

What do you need clarification on about the mod stuff? Just how to be eligible? We've been looking around for people who have been a great asset at helping people out and who have tried to steer conversations the right way, etc.

bsussman
September 17th, 2005, 04:01 PM
No, this is staying like this. Everyone will be Ubuntu Mocha Blend, unless the title changes, but everyone who is not a mod will now have the same title.

<serious>Great idea, silly name choice.</serious>
<joke>Everyone knows that Super Arabica Tua (the genuine Sumatran stuff) is better!</joke>
(those tags really need to be implemented...)

Now all the mods should have a different same name.

When will the rest of the foolish artifacts that reward quantity (the 5 part icon, the number of posts) over quality (ratings, reputation) go away?

NoTiG
September 17th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I for one dont even get the great idea behind this "coffee analogy/terminology" with these forums.. what on earth does coffee have anything to do with linux, and ubuntulinux?

You dont see the connection between coffee and ubuntu? Ok how about HOT coffee.. and ubuntu :D Get it now ?? I think ubuntu def fits this description. What other distribution will increase your chances 10 fold of getting a uber ubuntu Girl ? :P

primeirocrime
September 17th, 2005, 04:09 PM
I would prefer a Delta Platinum Blend [delta is a portuguese coffee company] it's the best for espresso/expresso/essprexo. If you can get you hands on half a kilo of t you will work like you where blessed by the gods.

RastaMahata
September 17th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Well, when I'm programming, nothing beats coffee or coke (and lots of it). So yeah, I think I am actually a walking coffee mug!

Oh wait, now I should be Mocha Blend :P

matthew
September 17th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Since we are in community chat and this isn't the most serious of topics, I thought coffee lovers might enjoy this link:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/coffee/

TravisNewman
September 17th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Since we are in community chat and this isn't the most serious of topics, I thought coffee lovers might enjoy this link:
they have an entire subpage on coffee? Oh my...

XDevHald
September 17th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I would prefer a Delta Platinum Blend [delta is a portuguese coffee company] it's the best for espresso/expresso/essprexo. If you can get you hands on half a kilo of t you will work like you where blessed by the gods.
What will Platinum be for? ;)

Also, Mocha Blend is a very well known name in New York as a lot of book writers and office geeks drink it a lot. Ubuntu and Coffee go perfect together :D Hey we need our own Cafe shop, just a joke :p

matthew
September 17th, 2005, 05:04 PM
they have an entire subpage on coffee? Oh my...
They had an issue a while back with coffee as the cover story. I seem to recall they had an interesting article on how coffee farming was influencing societal change in areas to which it has spread.

mlomker
September 17th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Now all the mods should have a different same name.

Nice zinger and a good point.

When will the rest of the foolish artifacts that reward quantity (the 5 part icon, the number of posts) over quality (ratings, reputation) go away?

That'd be fine if the reputation button were more prominent.

I was a 'Contributer' for a day or two as well and that has gone away now. Things just seem a bit arbitrary at the moment.

Xian
September 17th, 2005, 05:08 PM
It was a decision made arbitrarily during a time that user some forum images were being reviewed. Once the idea of a coffee mug was selected as the preferred style for post rankings, the user title association followed suit and was adopted. None of this ever had anything to do specifically with Ubuntu, it was just a particular theme which was liked by those who were implementing the changes.

Xian
September 17th, 2005, 05:12 PM
There really is no point in having titles if they are all the same.
Personally, I'd be happy to do away with them.

As it is they serve no purpose.

matthew
September 17th, 2005, 05:20 PM
This thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=15378 is where the titles were originally conjured up. The idea was to get rid of hierarchical sounding titles and just have a fun substitute that didn't promote a "better than" or "lesser than" mentality. Once the title system and the direct link to post count was figured out and openly discussed as a means of differentiating between users I believe the original goal of "fun without differentiation" was ruined.

I don't know if it is possible, but wouldn't it be fun to have a rotating pseudo-random or cycling title generator based on absolutely nothing? You could then remove the post counts but retain the fun aspects without the fear of elitism.

Xian
September 17th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I don't know if it is possible, but wouldn't it be fun to have a rotating pseudo-random or cycling title generator based on absolutely nothing?
That's funny, but certainly a much better idea than what presently exists. Having every member use the same nomenclature is pointless, since there is no use or reason in implementing a universal forum identification title. It just looks silly.

You could then remove the post counts but retain the fun aspects without the fear of elitism.
Since post counts are no longer being registered in CC (this is a good thing), I would tend to argue that higher post counts are a relatively good indication of a member's experience level and ability to assist others. I don't think I would equate this aspect with elitism.

matthew
September 17th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Since post counts are no longer being registered in CC (this is a good thing), I would tend to argue that higher post counts are a relatively good indication of a member's experience level and ability to assist others.
I just noticed this fact and posted a couple thoughts here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=356160&postcount=18

mlomker
September 17th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Since post counts are no longer being registered in CC (this is a good thing),

That was smart.

This is a good board and I know from chatting with one mod that they really do care and are working hard to improve things.

bsussman
September 17th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Good spirit. Not effective. Just looks like (painfully) PC (as in politically correct).

Humans will figure out the hierarchy.

you can have titles of '1' 'I' 'A' and 'zibblefetz'

Folks will figure out that zibblefetz is best, biggest, most, whatever

UbuWu
September 17th, 2005, 07:45 PM
what is the point of having a title if we all have the same... I liked it like it was before...

UbuWu
September 17th, 2005, 07:47 PM

It is brown and it is hot, guess what it is...?

bsussman
September 17th, 2005, 09:14 PM
I would tend to argue that higher post counts are a relatively good indication of a member's experience level and ability to assist others. I don't think I would equate this aspect with elitism.

I believe that high post count is indicative of willingness to spend more time posting O:)

Ubuntu forums are relatively new. I am seeing good technical depth from ppl with sub-100 counts.

matthew
September 17th, 2005, 09:42 PM
I believe that high post count is indicative of willingness to spend more time posting O:)

Ubuntu forums are relatively new. I am seeing good technical depth from ppl with sub-100 counts.
I think that's valid. also, since these forums are so new it is a good time to make changes if changes are needed/desired, before systems get entrenched.

Xian
September 17th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Ain't that the truth. :)

I personally have not seen any members here with over a few hundred posts that were not more than qualified to answer and respond to user oriented issues on a wide variety of topics. The fact that many of us have no life and hang out here a lot is to their gain. LOL.

zenwhen
September 17th, 2005, 11:13 PM
A person's post count is not indicative of their worth. I really hate seeing people make that connection. A high post count can be achieved without ever making a bit of difference.

I would really love to see user's postcounts moved to their profile, so it is less of a boon to those who post just to see it raise. I am not pointing fingers, or even saying I am thinking of anyone in particular. I am just saying that it happens on every forum.

You can tell when a person is helpful when you see them helping. They don't need a badge of honor.

manicka
September 17th, 2005, 11:46 PM
A person's post count is not indicative of their worth.
I don't think anyone is saying that, a few were just pointing out that it's a reasonable indicator of people that spend a lot of time here.

drummer
September 18th, 2005, 12:24 AM
No, this is staying like this. Everyone will be Ubuntu Mocha Blend, unless the title changes, but everyone who is not a mod will now have the same title.:( I was enjoying getting my post count up and working through the different levels.. won't be as fun now with nothing to work towards.

EDIT - just read the other pages in the thread.. i only post useful posts, no flooding just to get the post count up. That would ruin the reward of getting there [-X

bored2k
September 18th, 2005, 12:40 AM
:( I was enjoying getting my post count up and working through the different levels.. won't be as fun now with nothing to work towards.

EDIT - just read the other pages in the thread.. i only post useful posts, no flooding just to get the post count up. That would ruin the reward of getting there [-X
Although I understand your point of view, some users are getting the wrong idea out of their titles and acting accordingly. This is the solution our Administrators came to and the least we can do is support them in their strive for making the forums yet a better place.

manicka
September 18th, 2005, 01:12 AM
This is the solution our Administrators came to and the least we can do is support them in their strive for making the forums yet a better place.
Will do :D
I think it will solve some problems and make the forum a better place in the long run.

racecat
September 18th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Wow! This thread has covered this topic thoroughly and intelligently (not that it is a great surprise). I have found that here as well as most places in life, the cream always rises to the top. Big kudos to the folks who always seem to be here.

Even infrequent and new posters have gems. Many obviously have a lot of Linux/Ubuntu experience. The numbers can be deceiving. This seems like a good move to me.

Bill

Xian
September 18th, 2005, 05:47 AM
This is the solution our Administrators came to and the least we can do is support them in their strive for making the forums yet a better place.
This is a good point and the forum staff should be supported with issues that arise which impact the active members. However, where was the information that you refer to posted? It is somewhat disingenuous to encourage widespread support for a topic that is apparently not very transparent.

manicka
September 18th, 2005, 07:54 AM
I'm curious... all members now have the same title so that we are all on a level playing field and not getting carried away with things. Why then do mods, admins, vip's etc have the ability to be different? :-k

I'd like to suggest a consistent approach to the problem and remove the titles altogether. We have the little orange title that says Administrator, VIP or Super/Moderator so that we know who the mods/admins are. Isn't that enough?

benplaut
September 18th, 2005, 09:22 AM
post count is not the best way, but we still need some way of defining who has been around longer, or is more likely to give a usefull answer... maybe a big rush to use the karma button more?

Then again, a new user really doens't give a darn who answers their question, and older [often more experienced] users pretty much know and recognize each other...

one last thought... Post count, whether in a number or what blend of coffee you are, is a pretty good first-glance at how experienced someone is- but only in one direction.

users with lots of posts are pretty likely to be experienced (to some extent), but a user with 1 post may have been using linux since pre1.0... it's a one-way experience scale.

Is there something for Vbul that is a sort of extended karma. where users can post feedback on their peers, and grade them? would be very usefull...

FLeiXiuS
September 18th, 2005, 09:31 AM
One of the ways you can tell if a user has been "helpful" by glancing at their reputation points. Well it's not perfect since, not everyone uses it. We do encourage users to give positive feedback and add reputation points to users who deserve them.

drummer
September 18th, 2005, 09:41 AM
One of the ways you can tell if a user has been "helpful" by glancing at their reputation points. Well it's not perfect since, not everyone uses it. We do encourage users to give positive feedback and add reputation points to users who deserve them.
Maybe there should be a message on the forum front page or something to inform users of this feature.. I didn't know it existed until someone gave me a reputation point (I always wondered what those little green bars were :P)

Xian
September 18th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I'm obviously missing something (which wouldn't be the first time). :)

Where can users glance at another member's points? FLeiXiuS, I clicked on your profile and could not see any listed points. All I noticed was a rather vague description when hovering my mouse over the green dot next to your post count. Apparently you are "An unknown quantity at this point". I'm not at all certain what information I am supposed to glean from that bit of information.

Xian
September 18th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I'm curious... all members now have the same title so that we are all on a level playing field and not getting carried away with things. Why then do mods, admins, vip's etc have the ability to be different? :-k
Heh. Those dear souls put in enough time around here IMO to warrant a bit of discretion. I have a feeling that most people here would be enthusiastic about supporting the majority of ideas which the forum staff has regarding improving the user experience here.

But since they affect the entire member base they should be more transparent. As mentioned, it is not appropriate to suggest increased support when this is not the case. It is always more productive to gain encouragement by involving others in decisions (through at least providing better information) that impact their own participation.

mlomker
September 18th, 2005, 02:49 PM
It is always more productive to gain encouragement by involving others in decisions (through at least providing better information) that impact their own participation.

Thank you. Exactly.

I've been living on the board since switching to Kubuntu about a month ago. I have run websites in the past and totally understand the costs and time required, but I've started thinking of this place as a home away from home.

Major changes without stakeholder input can be demoralizing. The announcements section basically just said yup, we're changing stuff.

Yesterday I started diving into the site discussion forum to post my thoughts about certain things. One of the mods did ask me about my impressions of the website a little while back, so there is at least some interest in constructive feedback.

FatherDale
September 18th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Mmmm. Coffee.... O:)
f3d likes coffee....

matthew
September 18th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I understand (I think) what the goal is in making these changes as well as the sensitivity that is being shown by the mods to the more sensitive of our user base. I would like to point out that in about 36 hours there have only been just over 40 posts in this thread. This is an issue of great importance to a small number of people, who are important, but a minority. It is an issue of passing interest to others (myself included). For the majority of Ubuntu forums users in the last two days this hasn't been a super-huge big deal that drew them to give their input.

<I tried really hard...but I still wanted to say this> I like the silly slogans and the fact that coffee really has nothing to do with Ubuntu directly...it just adds charm and uniqueness to these forums. Almost all forums have some sort of system, either stars or titles or both or other stuff. I like the coffee cups. I like the ultimately meaningless "espresso guzzler extraordinaire" type names. Post counts and join dates are easily visible. Unless you want to make a bland, caffeine free forum where everyone looks the same I say just give each person a unique title, let us choose the titles from a small list, or make a randomizer to pick from a list and change it occasionally. This is not a serious issue like world peace or the guy who can't get X running.

So, mods. Do what you think is the best option for the forums. You are privy to bits of info we don't have. You have heard the perspectives of several of us. Lets just do what is necessary to continue to make this one of the best, most welcoming, and fun forums on the net as well as the most helpful as is humanly possible.

arnieboy
September 18th, 2005, 11:43 PM

What do you need clarification on about the mod stuff? Just how to be eligible? We've been looking around for people who have been a great asset at helping people out and who have tried to steer conversations the right way, etc.
panickedthumb: why do the mods have a different title? is there a reasonable justification for that? democratically speaking..
I for one person want my coffee mug title back. I absolutely loved it.

matthew
September 19th, 2005, 12:06 AM
I am going to post this link with no comment whatsoever...
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=358161&postcount=6

arnieboy
September 19th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I am going to post this link with no comment whatsoever...
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=358161&postcount=6
aysiu is a God among men and I being one of his closets friends and well-wishers, am also a God of sorts. we should both be called "Ubuntu God"

UbuWu
September 19th, 2005, 12:27 AM
I for one person want my coffee mug title back. I absolutely loved it.

Yes, the coffee mugs motivate me to keep posting! Always curious to see when I get the next title! ;-) Just kidding, but I did like them and it was always a nice surprise to see yours had changed...

bored2k
September 19th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Yes, the coffee mugs motivate me to keep posting! Always curious to see when I get the next title! ;-) Just kidding, but I did like them and it was always a nice surprise to see yours had changed...
Well, if you guys were so motived by your next forums titles, by being extremely helpful and friendly in the forums your next title might be VIP, or who knows ;). How's that for a thought?

arnieboy
September 19th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Well, if you guys were so motived by your next forums titles, by being extremely helpful and friendly in the forums your next title might be VIP, or who knows ;). How's that for a thought?
raf master roaster u!!! :)

bored2k
September 19th, 2005, 12:53 AM
raf master roaster u!!! :)
Ok babelfish.org didn't work on that Klingon translation.. what ?!

Curlydave
September 19th, 2005, 01:07 AM
At first I thought that Ubuntu got its name from some exotic caffeinated beverage that I hadn't heard of. Now that I know it's actually an African word, I'm a little weirded out by the coffee thing.

arnieboy
September 19th, 2005, 01:10 AM
At first I thought that Ubuntu got its name from some exotic caffeinated beverage that I hadn't heard of. Now that I know it's actually an African word, I'm a little weirded out by the coffee thing.
Linux as a whole has always been fascinated by coffee.. down the years.. coffee and beer (only if u are over 21 here in the US).. thats the lifeblood of open source.. Java also thinks on similar lines.

Xian
September 19th, 2005, 04:34 AM
Linux as a whole has always been fascinated by coffee.. down the years...
I have a box of chocolate covered coffee beans in my fridge.
Does that count? :)

I really don't like brewed coffee...ugh!