PDA

View Full Version : Please share if you have a "newer" computer/parts

herbster
January 10th, 2008, 10:50 PM
If any of you have newer hardware, like an 8800+ video card, dual core/quad core cpu, newer mobo (p5k, ds3, etc. etc.) could you share your experience in linux? Especially motherboard and onboard sound with the newer ones. I'm going to build a new system in a few months and I'd love to get any feedback on what type of compatibility and other info you guys have on your parts with linux (whichever distro you might use).

Much appreciated.

Lostincyberspace
January 10th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I have 100 percent Linux compatibility right now. I will digg up my specs and post them in a little while.

herbster
January 10th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Could you please specifically list your parts (cpu/mobo/vid card) ?

Redache
January 10th, 2008, 11:53 PM
My specs are in my sig. The only thing that does not work is the Soundcard but that's because it's a Firewire one and has no vendor support. Gonna swap it for an M-audio with a friend.

herbster
January 11th, 2008, 12:08 AM
What motherboard do you have?

bufsabre666
January 11th, 2008, 12:12 AM
once the gfx drivers installed i have perfect compatibility

bobbob94
January 11th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Motherboards seem to be the main problematic area for compatibility, especially sound and networking. Well I'm not sure if its really new anymore but i'm using an Asus P5B-VM SE motherboard and everything works fine out of the box. I seem to remember reading about some people having issues with (i think) jmicron ide controllers, which this mobo has, but all my drive are sata and its worked perfectly.

~LoKe
January 11th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Intel Q6600
eVGA 8600GT
Abit IP35
2GB Patriot 800MHz RAM

All works well.

rfruth
January 11th, 2008, 12:29 AM
I have a MSI board with AMD x2 (dual core) CPU, everything works !
http://picasaweb.google.com/rob.fruth/Guinnevere

Cavalryman
January 11th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I have a MSI board with AMD x2 (dual core) CPU, everything works !
http://picasaweb.google.com/rob.fruth/Guinnevere

Same here. On-board sound and graphics installed without any problem at all. 2 GB of ram and Linksys wireless-g PCI card. No problems with the wireless-g, but I couldn't get the wireless-n version working at all. :( If anyone could point me toward a wireless-n device which works seamlessly in Ubuntu, I'd be grateful.

mdpalow
January 11th, 2008, 07:10 AM
See attached pic.

Every component.... flawless with Ubuntu.

Price is double because I bought two of each.

Not the fastest, but you can see the brands.

herbster
January 11th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Thanks a lot guys, this really helps. And yes, a Windows-only BIOS updater is definitely something I'm watching out for.

Keep sharing! I am far from being set on which parts I will specifically be getting.

inversekinetix
January 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
my sig, everything worked out of the box

Ioky
January 11th, 2008, 07:57 AM
My computer is special make for Linux. sense my old one have problem everywhere, and it can't install Linux for some reason, try everything none of them work. so here I am. Well I don't know it is newer to you guy, but it should be the best custom BTX form factor computer ever made. (sense there are no BTX part anymore.)

here is a blog I that wrote for my computer.

http://iok-one.blogspot.com/2007/03/ultra-efficient-pc-computer.html

enjoy.

bufsabre666
January 11th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks a lot guys, this really helps. And yes, a Windows-only BIOS updater is definitely something I'm watching out for.

Keep sharing! I am far from being set on which parts I will specifically be getting.

yeah, i wasnt very impressed with my msi board in comparison to the dfi or the asrock i had in the past but they have a floppy update program which is nice