PDA

View Full Version : Headphones fix question

holdie
January 10th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Hey everybody, so I've got a pair of (relatively) nice headphones that recently had their cable split in two...I lost the actual headphone jack part of the unit, but I still have the headphones themselves.

I don't want to have to just pitch the whole thing, so I was thinking about cutting off the jack for some lower-end headphones and trying to solder the two together with another piece of wire in between

Upon stripping the Sony's casing, there are three different wires inside, two which are insulated and one which is not...does this sound right to me? It seems like one is left audio and the other is right, but I can't figure what the middle one is (ground?)

Does this sound like an alright plan to you guys and, if so, is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks a lot

red_Marvin
January 10th, 2008, 06:21 PM
The uninsulated one being ground sounds right to me, if you don't want to butcher a cheap headphone set you should be able to buy a 3.5mm stereo plug quite cheap.

koleoptero
January 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Yeap the not insulated one is ground. You can solder them with a cable from another set of headphones (cheap ones as you said) but don't expect the result to be perfect.