PDA

View Full Version : this forum sometimes freezes firefox..

daverich
January 10th, 2008, 05:57 PM
seems ironic really.

I haven't found any other websites that do this, just every now and again I'll come to the forum pages and firefox will freeze and need to be force quitted.

Is this just me?

Kind regards

Dave Rich

popch
January 10th, 2008, 06:11 PM
If the page which freezes your browser is http://ubuntuforums.org/ and you have the display of active members enabled,

then it is most probably processing the list of active members which keeps your PC busy for a while.

Does your PC thaw after a minute or so when frozen?

~LoKe
January 10th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Which version of Firefox are you using? This problem was fixed for me a long time ago.

Luffield
January 10th, 2008, 07:59 PM
It happens to me too. I'm using Gutsy with the latest Firefox version.

kamaboko
January 10th, 2008, 08:01 PM
It's a rare day that FF doesn't freeze on my Gutsy install.

daverich
January 10th, 2008, 08:06 PM
If the page which freezes your browser is http://ubuntuforums.org/ and you have the display of active members enabled,

then it is most probably processing the list of active members which keeps your PC busy for a while.

Does your PC thaw after a minute or so when frozen?

to be honest I'm too impatient to wait ;)

Next time I'll leave it a while and see.

normally the page works very fast so it's unlikely to be this however.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

jimgeiser
January 10th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I have had Firefox freeze and must use force quit at least 10 to 15 times a day. Mostly it seems to be sites running scrips that cause this, but almost any time I have multiple pages open it freezes. Is Gutsy Gibbon using more ram than previous versions? I don't remember FF ever freezing before.

Sam
January 10th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I use Ubuntu since Warty, I never had any problem with this forum.

tomsa
January 10th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I have the same problem, and usually no amount of waiting allows the computer to thaw after it freezes. It's most likely (for me) because I am running Gutsy with the most current Firefox on really old hardware (800MhZ 384mb ram, ouch). If there was something I could do to fix it, I'd love to know!

bufsabre666
January 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I use Ubuntu since Warty, I never had any problem with this forum.

same here and the only time i ever had a sustained problem was when engadget put up those mac ads and that only slowed it down, didnt crash it

popch
January 10th, 2008, 10:25 PM
On the other hand, I have experienced times when the browser hung while waiting for stuff to arrive from the web.

You can gain some insight into what is happening by observing FF's status line which shows what it is doing, and by watching the system monitor's display of network traffic.

Some of the times when FF hung, it was waiting for google.analytics, other times for ubuntuforums.org. It is quite possible that the reason for those stalls are bottle necks in the servers which occur more often at certains times of the day as at others.

In some cases, I could 'unstall' Firefox by clicking on the 'stop' button, then on the 'refresh' button.

daverich
January 10th, 2008, 11:51 PM
yup it does appear if I wait it un-freezes itself.

Panic over Mr Mannering ;)

Kind regards

Dave Rich.