PDA

View Full Version : Intel investigated for antitrust violation

Sporkman
January 10th, 2008, 05:07 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/10/technology/bc.apfn.cuomo.intel.ap/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

Intel investigated for antitrust violation

NY's attorney general Cuomo issues subpoena to microprocessor manufacturer over competition questions.

January 10 2008: 10:56 AM EST

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo says he is investigating possible violations of state and federal antitrust laws by Intel Corp., the worlds largest manufacturer of computer microprocessors.

A Cuomo spokesman says the subpoenas seek information on whether Intel coerced customers to exclude Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD, Fortune 500), known as AMD, from the market for a specific computer processing unit.

Cuomo says his preliminary review shows a need for a full investigation. Subpoenas are being issued Thursday.

The subpoenas seek data about Intel's (INTC, Fortune 500) pricing strategies and whether Intel penalized computer makers, cut off competitors' distribution channels, and improperly paid customers for exclusivity.

~LoKe
January 10th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Intel will come out alright, regardless. ;)

SunnyRabbiera
January 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I am not sure how i stand on this one, as Intel has shown itself as a benefactor for open source as of late (the deal with apple was a start) but AMD does not back trusted computing unlike Intel (then again I am neutral on TC)...

bufsabre666
January 10th, 2008, 10:19 PM
its always cuomo, this guy hates business, but i guess its better then spitzer ((whos now i governer great)) who really didnt seem to do much other than complain

Lster
January 10th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I am not sure how i stand on this one, as Intel has shown itself as a benefactor for open source as of late (the deal with apple was a start) but AMD does not back trusted computing unlike Intel (then again I am neutral on TC)...

I would hope where you stand on this wouldn't depend on anything Intel of AMD has done in the past. If they did something immoral then that's still wrong even if they are pro open source. ;)

Personally I think Intel probably are giulty but as ~LoKe says, they will be OK regardless.

SunnyRabbiera
January 10th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I would hope where you stand on this wouldn't depend on anything Intel of AMD has done in the past. If they did something immoral then that's still wrong even if they are pro open source. ;)

Personally I think Intel probably are giulty but as ~LoKe says, they will be OK regardless.

well granted Intel has done some odd things in the past, but they seemed to have learned from past mistakes.
Hey some improvement is better then no improvement, wouldn't you say?

Lster
January 10th, 2008, 11:27 PM
well granted Intel has done some odd things in the past, but they seemed to have learned from past mistakes.
Hey some improvement is better then no improvement, wouldn't you say?

Definitely. I'm very pleased Intel are reforming on some fronts, I just hope they have learnt like you say. :)