PDA

View Full Version : Old Computer disposal

beercz
January 10th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Hi folks

I have a lot of old/broken computers and other computing kit.

I want to dispose of it all, not by simply dumping it, but giving it away so it can be reused. No charge.

I am in the UK (Kent) and would like it collected.

Anyone know of anyone who may want to make use of it all?

xyz
January 10th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Nice of you!

beercz
January 10th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Nice of you!
Thanks!!

Just trying to be a bit ethical and helps to tidy the office a little bit.

argie
January 10th, 2008, 11:43 AM
You may be able to find somebody who can do something with that at the UK Freecycle group: http://www.freecycle.org/group/UK/

sailor2001
January 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM
install mint on it and donate to the old folks home.

beercz
January 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM
install mint on it and donate to the old folks home.
Erm, I have about 20 pcs to dispose of!

popch
January 10th, 2008, 02:52 PM

So give each of your parents one.

beercz
January 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM
So give each of your parents one.
They already have two pcs

Sporkman
January 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Xubuntu is the standard disposal method.

fatality_uk
January 10th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again
http://www.computeraid.org/index.htm
:)

LeAstrale
January 10th, 2008, 08:33 PM
i dont know how to do this, but if i were you i would prefer to be giving it to really "needy" people (by needy i mean poor who cant afford a new computer tehmselves)

i dont know of anything in you're area, but i would personally donate it to the red cross. Here in Denmark they have small shops with all kinds of different things were (usually) older people work as a daytime job with no wager. and the profit from whatever they sell they use in africa.

mips
January 11th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Maybe you should give people a detailed list of what you have available to dispose of.

macogw
January 11th, 2008, 03:32 AM
What's the UK version of Goodwill? That's where I sent the one from work. They sell the old stuff cheap then give the money to the poor.

zipperback
January 11th, 2008, 03:35 AM

Contact one of your local schools and see if they would be interested in having a computer lab donated to them. 20 computers would be a nice donation for a school. And if they come fully configured and setup for them, that would be great.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

samalex
March 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hi folks

I have a lot of old/broken computers and other computing kit.

I want to dispose of it all, not by simply dumping it, but giving it away so it can be reused. No charge.

I am in the UK (Kent) and would like it collected.

Anyone know of anyone who may want to make use of it all?

Awesome! I just cleaned out my computer closet and have a few systems I'm giving to folks in my LUG (if I can ever make to one of the meetings). I'd suggest contacting someone at the Kent LUG and see if they know of members needing systems, or if they need test systems for training and so forth.

http://kentlug.org/

What's the UK version of Goodwill? That's where I sent the one from work. They sell the old stuff cheap then give the money to the poor.

Actually I took many older systems to our local Goodwill Computer Works as well (I'm in Texas)... these were like 8088, 386, and 486 systems which can't run Linux. If the computers the OP is parting with still work I'd recommend finding a home for them outside of Goodwill (or the UK equiv) since they will recycle many to most of the systems they get, even if they still work. Also read my post here (http://bbs.hotlug.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1005) on our LUG site when I took my computer books to Goodwill. I'm still upset of this.

Take care --

Sam

KegHead
March 12th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hi!

I parted out a 10 year old gateway!

Put the case in the street for disposal and it was gone in two hours.

Hopefully all parts are reused.

KegHead

Groucho Marxist
March 12th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I have humorously old computers that need to be disposed of as well. However, since they are missing hard drives or contain broken parts, how can I dispose of them in the states? Otherwise, I would have already installed Ubuntu on them and offered them for free.

The Toxic Mite
March 12th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Necromancy by a spambot... charming

;/