PDA

View Full Version : power consumption of a p4 computer

afeasfaerw23231233
January 10th, 2008, 07:12 AM
i want to know how much wattage would a p4 1.8G computer[excluding peripherals like monitor and speakers] consume if i leave it idle for 24/7. would i save a little if i use a pIII instead of a p4 box [ both without an agp graphic card]?

bufsabre666
January 10th, 2008, 07:28 AM
well i dont have the numbers but each generation of processor gets more and more efficient so id imagine it uses less

jespdj
January 10th, 2008, 10:46 AM
It is hard (impossible) to give you an exact number; if you'd want to know exactly, you'd have to measure it. The power consumption depends on a lot of things beside the CPU - the motherboard, video card, harddisk, and how efficient your power supply is.

However, the Pentium 4 is not very power-efficient compared to the Core 2 Duo or AMD's processors. If I recall the number correctly, the P4 can use up to 130 W (that's the CPU alone), while many Core 2 Duos use only half that - 65 W, and they are also much faster than a P4.

If you want to build a computer that uses little power, then the P4 is not the processor you want to put into it!

A Pentium III uses much less energy. Even the fastest Pentium III (1.4 GHz) uses less than 32 W.

See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation

Sam
January 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
How to calculate the cost of your PC per day:

(Consumption [Watts]) * (24 [hours]) * (Price per kW/h) / 1000

jethro10
January 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
What would you want to use it for?

I have an excito bubba server (work bought me it, I know its expensive).

It has no GUI or monitor but it runs full debian.

Its my web, mail server, upnp server, Itunes server, backup, etc etc. and can run almost anything you can on a normal server. Not real heavy processing though.

It fanless almost noiseless and uses between 2 and 10 watts depending on what it is doing.

Back to your question, I bough one of those digital power meters off ebay for £15 to test this and other things. My P4 3Ghz, 2Gb ram uses between 50-150 watts depending on the load. 50w idle, but run something to put the CPU and graphics card under full load (a game for instance) and it tops 150w.

J

jeffus_il
January 10th, 2008, 12:06 PM
i want to know how much wattage would a p4 1.8G computer[excluding peripherals like monitor and speakers] consume if i leave it idle for 24/7. would i save a little if i use a pIII instead of a p4 box [ both without an agp graphic card]?

If you want to save energy and be greener, use newer technology not older. The newest technology does:
CPU frequency scaling
controls the fan speeds
spins down the hard diskThe alll PIII did not do this, therefore runs hotter and wastes more energy.
You can also passively cool the CPU using large aluminium fins instead of the smaller fins and fan, this does away with a fan and uses less energy.