PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell my iPod touch and replace it for Ubuntu?

tigerplug
January 9th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I have an 8GB iPod touch which is fairly new.

I've moved over to Ubuntu completely for everything and I've noticed that it is not yet compatible with Ubuntu (well, at least not the way I want it to be).

I have been considering selling it to replace it with an alternative MP3 player.

I hear good things about the Sansa range and Linux.

What do you all think? - should I hold out for a while maybe? :(

kamaboko
January 9th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Who knows, you may be on a different distro three months from now. I say keep it.

tigerplug
January 9th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Who knows, you may be on a different distro three months from now. I say keep it.

Thats a good point ;) ... Maybe your right

plb
January 9th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Maybe not the option your looking for but have you tried using it something like virtualbox or vmware? I have to do that to use my printer which has dodgy support in Linux still

oldb0y
January 9th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't sell it, it probably won't be too long until the are able to hack the touch as well.

tgalati4
January 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Do you have an old backup mp3 player to use? I would hold on to it as it takes some time for the hacks to mature to make it easy to use.

It's hard to duplicate the integration (on a Mac) between an iPod and iTunes. That and commercial games are an area where Linux is weak.

Get a cheap sandisk player in the meantime to hold you over until iTouch functionality catches up.

Vadi
January 9th, 2008, 04:42 PM
My Sandisk Sansa is on the way already.

I'd probably wait a bit though, the thing will be hacked eventually (though Apple is trying to grief everyone with iTunes very hard)

tigerplug
January 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
You guys think they will ever release iTunes for Linux? - then again with all these Dell users they may have to!

oldb0y
January 9th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I don't want iTunes:lolflag:

Vadi
January 9th, 2008, 05:19 PM
No.

Want to know why I think so? Recently I needed to compile a plain C app on Macs. Here's what I found out:

- Under Apple's EULA, you cannot run Mac OS on non-Mac hardware. So, if you want Mac OS, buy their computer too.

- Their website for developers couldn't claim more friendliness. Open source, unix, and other happy trinket words are sprinkled everywhere. It's all fun and games until you realise that there's no cross-compiler avialable. You look on mailing lists, questions about one have been posed, but none of them end sucsessfully / with specific instructions. Again, you have to buy a Mac.

- You join the #macdev chat, ask for help.. it comes down to:

(09:51:55 PM) proton: seriously you're going to be wasting a whole lot of time trying to do a build on anything other than a Mac

(09:50:47 PM) chanson: Vad1: Really, the only supported way to do Mac OS X development is to do it on a Mac.

Hm, yeah. They must be gritting their teeth that they had to make iTunes for Windows.

Thinking about it, go ahead and sell it!

Hells_Dark
January 9th, 2008, 05:20 PM
You guys think they will ever release iTunes for Linux? - then again with all these Dell users they may have to!

No, but i think other software will handle ipod touch soon.

tigerplug
January 9th, 2008, 05:35 PM
No, but i think other software will handle ipod touch soon.

Hopefully very soon!

99bluefoxx
January 10th, 2008, 06:20 AM
personally i would sell it, or put ipodlinux on it[i may get a free nano if i have perfect attendance:p] as i am a non-apple fan, to put it kindly
i dislike windows as ell, :lolflag:
i have a sansa e260 and after the origional firmware let me down multipel times i decided to try rockbox, which i just threw onto my fourth sansa[i have absoulutely horrid luck, first got wet with pop cause of some guy at the movies, second usb failed after someone triped me and i had it in a pocket charger, third one a dude on the bus elbowed me and the screen was smashed *thank god for the 2 year service plan * lol] and it is working great, i allready figured it out in under 2 hours, and configured everything to my liking, themes, trying out video conversion, playlists and my favs are plugins[freedoom] and the xfader
in my opinion, go for the sansa or put linux on the ipod lols

bufsabre666
January 10th, 2008, 06:26 AM
i just use the mp3 player in my phone :lolflag:

LuisAugusto
February 3rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
I love Ubuntu, but selling an iPod Touch because Linux applications doesn't support it (well. because apple doesn't), it's nuts. It's an amazing gadget, I doubt you'll find any other media player with similar features, and with SDK in February, you can bet it'll be your PDA.

It'll be better to run Windows in some virtual machine from my humble point of view.

idiotonuni
February 7th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I hope i am not too late. I have a sansa c250 v2. Sandisk recently updated there mp3 players to v2. This is not supported in linux and rockbox will not work with it (yet). The only thing you can do is drag and drop files to the music file manually, but the downside is, the player will freeze up when you unplug it and it is updating collection. If you want to put any music on the player you would have to put about 5 songs at a time unplug the device, then let it update and plug it in and repeat. I am having trouble with my sansa and I complained to the company and they have not responded to my linux related question in a month. Don't buy Sansa!!!! Ever!!!