PDA

View Full Version : auto scan usb devices on plugin

EscArtist
January 9th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Hello,

I would like to install some antivirus on my ubuntu box and have it scan any usb device for viruses automatically when i plug it in. is this possible and how?

Regards

OffHand
January 9th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Hello,

I would like to install some antivirus on my ubuntu box and have it scan any usb device for viruses automatically when i plug it in. is this possible and how?

Regards

Why would you?

EscArtist
January 9th, 2008, 03:49 PM
we are running windows workstations in the company i work for and many of the people need to use usb devices when leaving the office for installations or deployment of software....

i would have one machine running ubuntu + anti virus act as a safe zone between the outer world (clients) and out windows network. before leaving the office everybody will scan the usb devices and after coming back also...

i would like to have it automatically to simplify it for my colleges and since they have never used linux.

OffHand
January 9th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Cool idea! Unfortunately I do not know how you can do this. There are a couple of virus scanners for Linux around but automating the scanning might be tricky. Good luck.

madeinbrazil
March 30th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I'd like to know this too.

I've found that on System > Preferences > Removable Drives and Media there is an option to run automatically a program when USB is plugged. But, what shall I enter? BTW, I'm using ClamTK.

pseudo-random
March 30th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Add something like
clamscan /media/USBDEVICE
In order to ensure the usb device gets mounted in the same spot each time you'll need to add it to your /etc/fstab.