PDA

View Full Version : Learn Ubuntu!

davbren
January 9th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Hey, I'm really enthusiastic about the progression of Ubuntu and OSS in general. given that I've registered a domain. www.learnubuntu.org.

It would be great if I could get people's opinions of what should be on the site and if people want to help then that would also be great.

I'm aware that there are plenty of sites that help people learn ubuntu/linux such as this great forum. I would personally like to see all help in one place for the n00b. it would be great to compile a list of all the great tutorials and have then all in pdf form or something to make them easy to follow.

I also would like to get some of the more popular software packages that aren't on the repos again to make it easy for the n00b to install and then use. I think its time we tried to move well away from the terminal and now we could have an oppotunity to do that.

Just an idea: - I was thinking of using moodle to do some free training courses for those who want to use it...

Any ideas...

Sef
January 9th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.

Paqman
January 9th, 2008, 01:50 PM
It would be great if I could get people's opinions of what should be on the site and if people want to help then that would also be great.

Check out the Absolute Beginners section of this site and see what is routinely tripping newbies up. Definitely include a linux jargon buster.

davbren
January 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Yh i think a jargon buster would be a really good idea...

<puts on list> :)

davbren
January 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Ok the basic site is up, with a few downloads. :D If you want to contact me about something message it here please. I hope you enjoy.

Praadur
January 14th, 2008, 04:32 PM
An interesting idea might be to setup a pseudo-wiki/blog wherein people can share their tutorials or basically tips in general, these posts could then be categorised and tagged for ease of searching, and a comments system could be implemented for suggesting improvements.

For example, someone could search for 'tor privoxy' and then select the 'HowTo' category, or they may choose to search 'compiz' and select the Tips category. The search could also allow for tags, so such a person could do a search akin to 'rmvb', selecting either Tips, HowTo or whatever other categories might be available. These are jut a few things that come to mind when I've helped others recently and I thought they'd make good examples for a sort of... new-user friendly information databasing system.

Of course, something like this might already exist, in which case... err, simply ignore this post as if it hadn't existed! That'd be fine.

davbren
January 14th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Yh i like the idea, its similar to what is available in these forums though. What I was thinking about is giving a service that meant they could use their system for pretty mum anything within the capabilities of Ubuntu. So tips and tutorials for media issues and such like are brilliant. I think this sort of stuff is so essential and needs a central hub. The Gutsy wiki is really good but misses somethings and is sometimes confusing to follow and of course doesn't include downloads... I want to move away from cammand line as much as possible. so if that means creating an alternative via .deb then so be it.

meborc
January 14th, 2008, 05:00 PM
An interesting idea might be to setup a pseudo-wiki/blog wherein people can share their tutorials or basically tips in general, these posts could then be categorised and tagged for ease of searching, and a comments system could be implemented for suggesting improvements.

For example, someone could search for 'tor privoxy' and then select the 'HowTo' category, or they may choose to search 'compiz' and select the Tips category. The search could also allow for tags, so such a person could do a search akin to 'rmvb', selecting either Tips, HowTo or whatever other categories might be available. These are jut a few things that come to mind when I've helped others recently and I thought they'd make good examples for a sort of... new-user friendly information databasing system.

Of course, something like this might already exist, in which case... err, simply ignore this post as if it hadn't existed! That'd be fine.

i don't want to be a partypooper, but there already is such a thing... https://wiki.ubuntu.com - the official wiki

and it would be a shame if the information is devided between many webpages... i think we should manage and update the official wiki as it has already established its usability and has a LARGE infobank

davbren
January 14th, 2008, 05:16 PM
no no its a valid point thank you :) I do find though that the official wiki, is centralised around the OS itself as opposed to the experience. I have considered the need for the website and I think it does have a use... I personally would like a central place where I can actually download executable files to "complete" my OS so it can "compete" on a basic level with the main players (windows and mac) the beginners that I'm looking at surely won't want to look all over the place for the software that they'd need.

I also know that there are many sites out there that have huge databases of software which isn't what i want either, I just want the basic stuff that will help someone get the most from their brand new system...

I'm not interested in peoples "individual" needs really. Its my vision to allow people just to download a load of stuff that will get everything working hunky dory with minimal effort.

quinnten83
January 14th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I think the bloggin and tag thing is a great idea. But only blogging of instructions to get people going, so basically a techblog.
And yes, the wiki is good, but not it doesn't always have everyting you need, and sometimes is not very newbierfriendly.

Praadur
January 14th, 2008, 05:29 PM
This is precisely what I was thinking and why I suggested it.

The wiki is a good--if clinnical--source of information, but it's just that. It's a huge, leatherbound tome of draconic knowledge.

What would the idea I was thinking of do differently? It all comes down to two parts...

The first of which is that each section would be designed with the mindset that the person is entirely new to Ubuntu, and they don't know how to compile sources. The HowTo bits would need to be detailed, yet not overwhelming, step by step guides covering every facet of getting something working. The tips would be similar too, and people could help by trying to fill in 'assumed knowledge'.

The second of which is that the Ubuntu wiki is a great source of information for what's in the box, but what if you want to step outside of the box? If the user wants to do something that's a little different, or obtain something that isn't in the repos, or desires help to do something that should be covered but isn't, then it could serve this purpose too. A fine example of this is how the repos seem to have w32codecs but not w64codecs, thus leaving 64-bit newbies out in the cold. Such a resource could explain in layman's terms how they could add a repo to help them get the software they want, that or simply provide links to debs, or even both.

I'm not really sure if the wiki covers all of this but I'd be surprised if it does. Often, the last thing a new user wants is to have to pour over pages of data in order to find the solution they want, often presented in a draconic way. Such a resource would be helpful so that they could type what they need, and be provided with baby steps so that they could reach their solution, thus making the OS more accessible to the end-user and *nix neophyte in general.

davbren
January 14th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Yh I agree, that will be a mission to implement though, if you know how to do it then brilliant... if not I'm not sure I have the technical know how to do it...

Hightide
January 14th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I like the web site concept but ensure that its linked to the official ubuntu resources so that newbies like myself can be directed there.

:)

davbren
January 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM
How do you mean "official" ubuntu resources?? like the ubuntu homepage? If anyone wants to put me on their website that'd be great but I only put the site up today lol haven't really had a chance to ask around lol

davbren
January 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I also thought of doing a couple of induction courses, maybe using moodle or some other content management system.

Sukarn
January 14th, 2008, 06:22 PM
This is precisely what I was thinking and why I suggested it.

The wiki is a good--if clinnical--source of information, but it's just that. It's a huge, leatherbound tome of draconic knowledge.

What would the idea I was thinking of do differently? It all comes down to two parts...

The first of which is that each section would be designed with the mindset that the person is entirely new to Ubuntu, and they don't know how to compile sources. The HowTo bits would need to be detailed, yet not overwhelming, step by step guides covering every facet of getting something working. The tips would be similar too, and people could help by trying to fill in 'assumed knowledge'.

The second of which is that the Ubuntu wiki is a great source of information for what's in the box, but what if you want to step outside of the box? If the user wants to do something that's a little different, or obtain something that isn't in the repos, or desires help to do something that should be covered but isn't, then it could serve this purpose too. A fine example of this is how the repos seem to have w32codecs but not w64codecs, thus leaving 64-bit newbies out in the cold. Such a resource could explain in layman's terms how they could add a repo to help them get the software they want, that or simply provide links to debs, or even both.

I'm not really sure if the wiki covers all of this but I'd be surprised if it does. Often, the last thing a new user wants is to have to pour over pages of data in order to find the solution they want, often presented in a draconic way. Such a resource would be helpful so that they could type what they need, and be provided with baby steps so that they could reach their solution, thus making the OS more accessible to the end-user and *nix neophyte in general.

I'm sorry, but I seem to be missing the point here.

First of all, there is a w64codecs package for 64-bit users, same as there is a w32codecs package for 32-bit users and ppc-codecs for apple ppc users.
Its all there on the wiki -
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Although I do agree that the wiki can be a little overwhelming for new comers.

If you need any help with administering the website, I'll volunteer, but I have my doubts about how new comers would even find out about the existence of your website. I don't think that canonical is going to put a link to it on the front page. If that was the case, I would have expected links to getdeb. psychocats and ubuntuguide right there on the front page.
If would probably end up as a link to the website in the 3rd Party Projects (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46) part of the forums.

boballen55
January 14th, 2008, 06:37 PM
hey man, this sound like a good idea because there are a lot of people who don't really care how the computer works, just that it does and they want to get their's working as easy as possible. But I do think there already are sites that try to accomplish what you are trying to do. Perhaps that is just fine as I'm sure none is total comprehensive. Perhaps your site can attempt to make other sites better connected so that there are resources for all the many things that can be done with Ubuntu. I don't have time right now to start looking for many of these site I assume exist but one is:
http://ubuntuclips.org/

It uses videos to show new users the easy way to get some things working, far from comprehensive, but I assume all such sites only have a few things in them, and just connecting them all together could be very beneficial. I'd really like to help you out with this project as I am a newbie myself and I know that there is all kinds of how tos out there it is just a matter of finding them. google is helpful but an easy to use site just for Ubuntu newbies would make things easer if done right.

ARhere
January 14th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Don't forget to include www.ubuntuguide.org in the list of links as it is a major site used for help and is well done.

Also, I suggest not requiring someone to sign up to view helpful content, unless you intend to charge for the service. Some complaints I have been hearing lately from computer n00bs is how every web site now appears to demand a user name password to do anything.

Like the colors and layout. Only suggestion would be to use more 'Ubuntu' style colors and graphics. ( coffee dipped gnome! ;-) )

-AR

davbren
January 14th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Ok then, maybe not a members area, how about a news bit or polls?

ARhere
January 14th, 2008, 07:22 PM

perfect!

davbren
January 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Only suggestion would be to use more 'Ubuntu' style colors and graphics. ( coffee dipped gnome! ;-) )

-AR

Well as far as I'm aware the colours for Ubuntu might be changing to a darker theme, using a more charcoal grey colour. Maybe the burnt the coffee beans :S

boballen55
January 14th, 2008, 10:46 PM

That might be fun.

Emerzen
January 14th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I think it's a fantastic idea. Yes, there are other sites (like the Ubuntuwiki) there to help, but the more ways information is presented, the better. Different people will find one path of information more accessible than another.

In any case, my suggestions for your site are as follows:

1. A diagram of the file system with some explanation of the important directories (home, etc, usr/bin, etc...)
2. Explain the lack of a "registry";i.e., what configuration files are.
3. How to install and configure software.
4. Links to other sites.
5. I find video tutorials worth a 1000 wiki's if you can do it.
6. A newbie guide to the CLI -- I know you want a focus on GUI, but as a convert, once learned, the CLI is fantastic. It's like I have a left (CLI) and right (GUI) hand now, as opposed to just a right hand before (I'm a righty by the way).

ARhere
January 15th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Good effort BTW.

I am currently working with two local computer stores to help them sell Ubuntu computers. Wish me luck!

-AR

Praadur
January 15th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I'm sorry, but I seem to be missing the point here.

That's because you're looking at the World through the eyes of a more experienced user, that's understandable.

Its all there on the wiki

Yes it is, but consider what you said next...

Although I do agree that the wiki can be a little overwhelming for new comers.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. Look at each of the links you've posted and all the superfluous information that's floating around before the information on how to get what they want is actually presented.

For an intermediate or above user (such as you or I), this isn't a problem. For someone coming to Ubuntu though, this'd be a little scary. It'd be better to have a source that provides 'just the facts' in the most friendly and easy to understand way possible. That's if we're trying to appeal to the end-uer at least.

I know, for example, my sister at the very least would be scared off by the Ubuntu wiki, as she'd believe that reading everything is important and she'd get lost in the undercurrent of things she didn't need to know. She'd probably then consider it a wasted effort because there's simply too much to learn to enable a simple option, that Linux is a 'Rocket Science', and that she's better off with Windows as it's for 'idiots'... et cetera, et cetera.

Often I have to explain what a page on such a wiki is actually saying before they'll understand it, it'd be nice if there were a resource that kept this in mind whilst presenting its information.

davbren
January 15th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Hey, just to say, the hosting just had to change server so its down momentarily, sorry about this, its out of my control. Be up soon though, really pleased with enthusiasm shown :D thank you I hope you'll stick around too.

davbren
January 15th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Ok back up now, although I lost some changes, I'll try to do some more on it today.

censored77
January 15th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I'm a new Ubuntu user and happened to see this tread on the forums page. What I'd really like to learn are:

1. the file system and how (and why!) it's organised
2. folder permissions, what you can and can't do
3. jargon buster, basic commands, what they do and what they're for

Number 3 is particularly important - I see lists of "how to do x" in the forums and other sites, but while following the instructions is fine, I don't learn anything as I don't know what each step means. It also means I can't begin to do things myself, as I don't know the commands.

Regarding number 2, I'm so used to Windows and wanted to paste Firefox settings into the folder, but I can't! Having played a bit previously, I understand why, but to a newbie that's a bit of a brick wall to being able to acheive something.

Oh and on your downloads page, could we have a description of what the things are? It's a bit meaningless to me...

davbren
January 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM
With the downloads page, descriptions were always in the plan, i just wanted something on there for the time being. Thanks for spending some time though. As said before there will be a jargon buster :D really good idea.

As far as explanations go, it will be an essential part of the site. Its really good that people want to Learn Ubuntu and this is a really good opportunity to do it. Thanks for your input.

el_ricardo
January 15th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I think the downloads section should only have software that is either difficult to install, accompanied by a tutorial, and software that isn't available via synaptics/apt-get, hosting debs that are installable through apt-get seems a little pointless tbh

davbren
January 16th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Theres a poll section on the site now, I hope it works :confused:

boballen55
January 16th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I tried to vote in it. It didn't seem to do anything? I dunno...

davbren
January 16th, 2008, 05:34 PM
it seems to have registered, I'm gonna try and do a better poll, this ones crud. :D