PDA

View Full Version : suggest me a lightweight (not xmms) full featured music player

chris4585
January 9th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Well the title says it all.. i like xmms and all but it doesnt have all of the features i want such as well.. this is what i want specificly

Good fast search capability
randomized playing
works like winamp i suppose i miss winamp...
if it runs in a terminal thats fine

only thing about xmms i dont like is that it doesnt search through files and generate a tmp playlist of the files you searched, i guess thats what i mean, and that it doesnt keep all your local media like a library, lets say you put 10,000 files in xmms, and i have it for my default music player, i click on a .mp3 in nautilus then all the files i added go away, or something similar to that

any suggestions? Thank you

DefianceX
January 9th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Beep Media Player. That's the lightest player I've tried out while using Ubuntu.

santiagoward2000
January 9th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Well the title says it all.. i like xmms and all but it doesnt have all of the features i want such as well.. this is what i want specificly

Good fast search capability
randomized playing
works like winamp i suppose i miss winamp...
if it runs in a terminal thats fine

only thing about xmms i dont like is that it doesnt search through files and generate a tmp playlist of the files you searched, i guess thats what i mean, and that it doesnt keep all your local media like a library, lets say you put 10,000 files in xmms, and i have it for my default music player, i click on a .mp3 in nautilus then all the files i added go away, or something similar to that

any suggestions? Thank you

Hi!
My personal favorite: MOC (music on console). It's a really nice terminal-run player. It has Shuffle, Search and is really fast. You just need to get used to some of the keyboard shortcuts, but I love it!

chris4585
January 9th, 2008, 08:28 AM
whats the command for moc?

chris4585
January 9th, 2008, 08:39 AM
And thanks i like beep player, its looks like ubuntu ver of xmms but different options on preferences i like! not much to change in preferences though, not sure if its me, but beep player seems to be playing alot of music i like out of 18,000 ish files i dont exactly love all of them, and banshee is getting blah and really slow, not as slow as amarok though

vanadium
January 9th, 2008, 11:39 AM
mpd, music player daemon. It is extremely light and is the single solution for gapless playback of lame encoded mp3s I know of. Moreover, it supports replay gain (play back the audio with the same perceived volume).

You can have random playback with a crossfade between the tracks, great for hours of background music.

You have various choices for using it. You can control it using mpc from the command line, or you can use one of the various graphical clients.

Sonata is my favourite. It features album artwork, fetching of lyrics, playlist creation and management, and there is a tab to put your radio stations. Right-clicking a folder in the library loads all underlying music in the playlist (like we had in foobar on windows). Thus, if you want Sonata to surprise you with different tracks of say, Pink Floyd, then activate Shuffle, crossfade and right-click the Pink Floyd folder. Your familiar tracks will now come up in a surprising order with smooth transitions.

Both mpd and sonata are in the repos. However, for Sonata, I recommend the latest version available via getdeb.net. mpd requires some configuring, which makes setup not very easy. However, once installed, the combination of mpd and a graphical client constitute a lightweigh, full-featured music setup.

OffHand
January 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I use Audacious - it's the best winamp replacement around imo.

cb951303
January 9th, 2008, 12:49 PM
+1 for mpd+sonata
I tried almost evry music player (Audacious, xmms, xmms2, bmp, banshee, rhtymbox, amarok and bunch of other stuff) but sonata wins in minimalism, lightweightness ans search capabilites

atomkarinca
January 9th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I suggest Exaile. It's in the repos.

K.Mandla
January 9th, 2008, 03:42 PM
+1

koleoptero
January 9th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I use exaile too, but it's not lighweight, it uses a lot of ram. Try Quod libet, it's a bit hard to get used to, but it's lightweight enough and has a library.

notwen
January 9th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Audacious is top notch. I even have the option to use my classic winamp skins. =]

santiagoward2000
January 9th, 2008, 06:36 PM

It's
mocp
I hope you like it!

Bungo Pony
January 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM
One thing I don't like about Audacious is if you're reading from a CD, you have to wait until it scans the entire disc before you can play anything from it. It's really bad if you've got a DVD full of MP3s. XMMS will let you play MP3s while it's scanning the files.

logos34
January 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM
another vote for audacious

Lostincyberspace
January 9th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I used to use Zinf it is allot like winamp which I miss too. I know use amarok just since it is the best out there right now.

jseiser
January 9th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Cplay or mpd/ncmpc by far are the best.

zipperback
January 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I like Rhythmbox and Audacious depending on my mood at the time.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

SomeGuyDude
January 9th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Isn't Audacious just a branchoff of XMMS?

chris4585
January 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM
thanks for all of the responses i'll try most of these probably

jeffus_il
January 9th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I was recently introduced to Quod Libet and love it.
It is light weight and full featured.

chris4585
January 9th, 2008, 08:58 PM
It's
mocp
I hope you like it!

ty

santiagoward2000
January 10th, 2008, 03:04 AM
ty

You're welcome! :)

D-EJ915
January 10th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Isn't Audacious just a branchoff of XMMS?
Kind of, it is basically is, but made more "new." I like the way XMMS works with respect to window management better and the playlist is far superior.

OffHand
January 10th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Kind of, it is basically is, but made more "new." I like the way XMMS works with respect to window management better and the playlist is far superior.

It has been rebuild from scratch!

Hells_Dark
January 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Mpd, ncmpc, sonata. Of course.
But it need a little more configuration than others.

koleoptero
January 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM
thanks for all of the responses i'll try most of these probably

Come and tell us which one you found best for your needs and why when you're done :)

clsyorkshire
January 10th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I do use rhythmbox but for some reason on my PC it makes the CPU usage spike.

I'm going to try some of the suggested media players from this thread! :D

jeffus_il
January 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Try Quod Libet, you may be surprised, the interface is similar to Rhythmbox.

Nonno Bassotto
January 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Mpd is the most lightweight, since you can shutdwon the graphical clients, while leaving the music play.

Sluipvoet
January 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM
cmus:
Full featured command line player.
Has an excellent library.
CommandLine and thus very light.
Uses Vi-navigation.

djbon2112
January 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM

Does anyone know if there's a media player (a la Winamp) plugin for Audacious? Or, is there a stand-alone program which has similar library characteristics, that can then be integrated into Audacious?

koleoptero
January 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Does anyone know if there's a media player (a la Winamp) plugin for Audacious? Or, is there a stand-alone program which has similar library characteristics, that can then be integrated into Audacious?

As far as I've seen there isn't. The only music organizer I've seen that can be used with audacious is madman, but it's really not like winamp's library.

If you want a music organizer it would be better to use a program like Rhythmbox, Exaile, Amarok, Banshee, BMPx, etc.

cmus:
Full featured command line player.
Has an excellent library.
CommandLine and thus very light.
Uses Vi-navigation.

Wow, cmus is really good :)

The Titan
January 17th, 2008, 09:18 PM
And thanks i like beep player, its looks like ubuntu ver of xmms but different options on preferences i like! not much to change in preferences though, not sure if its me, but beep player seems to be playing alot of music i like out of 18,000 ish files i dont exactly love all of them, and banshee is getting blah and really slow, not as slow as amarok though

AmaraoK works great for me, it rean extremely slow until i installed a MySQL server and used that instead. It runs great for me now and i have a fairly slow computer. I like better than winamp now.(I missed winamp alot before AmaroK|), takes a lil bit to get used too but i love it.

chris4585
January 18th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I use exaile too, but it's not lighweight, it uses a lot of ram. Try Quod libet, it's a bit hard to get used to, but it's lightweight enough and has a library.

sorry everyone i havent had time to go through the music players till now, so far i like quod libet very much, it does pretty much the only things i want, lightweight enough, although thats not a problem, and the search capabilities, thats all i wanted really to search for files in a library and then let it play the ones i searched file, sure banshee does this but it takes too long, and amarok.. i'm not a fan of, i havent tested all of these players yet, but mpc i couldnt figure out how to add my files to the library, and moc froze trying to load a playlist :/

so far these are the ones i've tried, and quod libet wins so far

leafhound
January 24th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I have this player installed and very much happy

http://snackamp.sourceforge.net/

inversekinetix
January 24th, 2008, 02:44 AM
foobar2000

kaiju
January 28th, 2008, 02:28 AM
i thought foobar2000 was win-only

and chris 4585, mpd is not at all hard to configure once you've googled around a bit, and it'll be woth it. it's basically a daemon that always runs in the background, consuming very little on resources. and you can control it in many different ways: sonata is a lightweight and good-looking client, ncmpc is command-line... or you can even control most of it without any visible client, by assigning keybindings to mpc.
oh, and i can't remember ever having heard mpd sound jerky on my 340 Mhz box ;)

koleoptero
January 28th, 2008, 01:51 PM
sorry everyone i havent had time to go through the music players till now, so far i like quod libet very much, it does pretty much the only things i want, lightweight enough, although thats not a problem, and the search capabilities, thats all i wanted really to search for files in a library and then let it play the ones i searched file, sure banshee does this but it takes too long, and amarok.. i'm not a fan of, i havent tested all of these players yet, but mpc i couldnt figure out how to add my files to the library, and moc froze trying to load a playlist :/

so far these are the ones i've tried, and quod libet wins so far

Well as long as you found one that works for you, you're OK. You don't really have to try them all. :)

graabein
January 28th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'm also a big fan of Quod Libet. Have you tried the Album List view and plugins for downloading cover art and tags from musicbrainz.org (http://musicbrainz.org/)?

Edit: Can't remember if it was this thread but someone wanted a music player that could browse file system and not rely on tags. Well I just discovered that Quod Libet does this with File System view. You can add some folders and mark them for new files also.

I'm liking it even more every day!

spaceship.rodeo
April 17th, 2008, 03:32 AM
mpd, music player daemon. It is extremely light and is the single solution for gapless playback of lame encoded mp3s I know of. Moreover, it supports replay gain (play back the audio with the same perceived volume).

You can have random playback with a crossfade between the tracks, great for hours of background music.

You have various choices for using it. You can control it using mpc from the command line, or you can use one of the various graphical clients.

Sonata is my favourite. It features album artwork, fetching of lyrics, playlist creation and management, and there is a tab to put your radio stations. Right-clicking a folder in the library loads all underlying music in the playlist (like we had in foobar on windows). Thus, if you want Sonata to surprise you with different tracks of say, Pink Floyd, then activate Shuffle, crossfade and right-click the Pink Floyd folder. Your familiar tracks will now come up in a surprising order with smooth transitions.

Both mpd and sonata are in the repos. However, for Sonata, I recommend the latest version available via getdeb.net. mpd requires some configuring, which makes setup not very easy. However, once installed, the combination of mpd and a graphical client constitute a lightweigh, full-featured music setup.
Sorry for the bump, but I'm trying out Sonata and can't figure out how to access my music? It looks pretty awesome and I'd like to get it to work but I just don't know how.

andrewabc
April 17th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Sorry for the bump, but I'm trying out Sonata and can't figure out how to access my music? It looks pretty awesome and I'd like to get it to work but I just don't know how.

I've tried several times to get that to work over the past 2 months but could never figure it out. I search the internet and there were no solutions, and anyone who asked would not get a decent answer.

moore.bryan
April 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM
+1 audacious

tigerplug
April 17th, 2008, 10:57 PM

I agree! - I love it!

aktiwers
April 17th, 2008, 11:55 PM
It's
mocpI hope you like it!

Thanks.. Love it!!

aktiwers
April 18th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I've tried several times to get that to work over the past 2 months but could never figure it out. I search the internet and there were no solutions, and anyone who asked would not get a decent answer.

Same problem here.. looks very nice though

bobdob20
April 18th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I think u have to tell mpd where ur music is kept by putting the path in /etc/mpd.conf

e.g

######################## REQUIRED PATHS ########################
# You can put symlinks in here, if you like. Make sure that
# the user that mpd runs as (see the 'user' config parameter)
# can read the files in this directory.
music_directory "~/Music"

SomeGuyDude
April 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM

Like the above poster said, you have to say where your music is. Then do this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1702562&postcount=11

# Replace mpd music directory with symlink to your own; I have my music in /home/khaeru/Music
sudo rmdir /var/lib/mpd/music
sudo ln -s ~/Music /var/lib/mpd/music

# Restart and update database
sudo /etc/init.d/mpd restart
mpc update

Slotos
April 18th, 2008, 02:29 AM
i thought foobar2000 was win-only

It is. But wine helps (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=54933). With columns ui and haven't experienced any issues. Tagging, converting, playing music and moving/copying files works ok.

barbedsaber
April 18th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I don't know if its light enough for you, but have a look at aqualung.

dustigroove
December 22nd, 2009, 10:37 PM

I know this is an old post, just wanted to include a solution just in case another user comes across this looking for a solution to getting mpd up and running.

Best guide that I could find as of 12/2009:
http://gmpc.wikia.com/wiki/MPD_INSTALL_USER_SERVICE_UBUNTU

Cheers.

ve4cib
December 22nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
I'm another fan of Audacious. Not many bells and whistles (that I've discovered), but it does what one would expect of a media player, and is pretty resource-friendly.

MPlayer is another reasonable option depending on your needs. You can control it from the command-like, so you don't even need to have an X server running. Doesn't tend to get a whole lot lighter than that.

crimesaucer
December 22nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
MPD + ncmpcpp is my favorite.

ncmpcpp: http://unkart.ovh.org/ncmpcpp/

markp1989
December 22nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
i use mpd + mpc (and sonata ocaisionaly)

just tie mpc to the media keys on my keyboard, <1% cpu+memory usage when playing music is not to be complained at :D

i have mine tied to the mouse + keyboard.

ctrl+left click = prev
crtl+middle click= play/pause
ctrl+right click= next
ctrl+scrol up/down = volume up/down

dragos240
December 22nd, 2009, 11:42 PM

mocp