PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate these Instructions?

CCNA_student
January 9th, 2008, 05:58 AM
I was wondering what you all think of the How-To's that I have posted on my Linux blog. Please tell me what else you think is important and what instructions are to vague or difficult to follow. I do know that they all work, at least on the x86 versions of Ubuntu. They worked for me anyway. Thanks for any help in advance.

Sin Cere

CCNA

Here are my instructions:

Installing programs in Ubuntu and using the terminal

To install programs in Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc find “Add/Remove” programs and type in the name of the program in the little “Search” box. If any of my instructions are vague or do not work post a comment somewhere. I check the website at least once a day.
To use the terminal in Ubuntu go to Applications>Accessories>Terminal.

Playing DVD’s in Ubuntu

To play a DVD in Ubuntu use the following command. Just copy and paste these commands into the terminal, you may make a mistake if you try typing all of this out. First :

sudo apt-get install libdvdread3 libxine1-ffmpeg totem-xine build-essential debhelper fakeroot

Next:

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

I got this tip from yoten.blogspot.com

To all owners of iPod’s.

There is no iTunes for Linux. The two other options are gtkpod, which you can download from the package manager, or floola, which you can get from floola.com. Gtkpod has worked quite well for me, and it has no Digital Rights Management, yay!

Printers in Linux

The printers that seem to always work in Linux are from HP and Epson. Some Lexmark, Canon, and Brother printers are supported, but do not count on it. I am not sure about Xerox printers, I will have to look around on their website and ubuntuforums.org to find out.

If you have an HP printer just type in sudo hp-setup and follow the simple instructions. It is not very hard.
To see how to install the printer you have go to

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Printers.

To see reports of how well your make and model of printers work go to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsPrinters.

Installing Adobe Flash Player

I am putting these instructions here because the Ubuntu Repository that stored Adobe Flash Player broke on December 13, 2007. I do not know if it was fixed yet.

Go to Adobe.com and download the tar.bz file. Right click on the file and open the file. Then find the option in one of the toolbars that says extract and extract this to you desktop.

For Ubuntu:

If you are using Ubuntu open the folder you created by extracting the file and double click on “flashplayer-installer”. Run the file in the terminal and follow the instructions that are given in the terminal.

For Kubuntu:

In Kubuntu open the terminal(called Konsole in Kubuntu) and open the folder you just created. Then drag and drop the “flashplayer-installer” onto the terminal and press enter. Follow the instructions the terminal gives. If you have any problems just post a comment on this website somewhere. I check this website at least once a day. To verify your installation go to http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about

Note: There is no Adobe Flash Player for 64bit versions of Linux.
Installing Java in Ubuntu

If you want to use Java, just follow these simple steps. Type in Java in Search, then click on Others on the left side of the Installer and click on Sun Java 6 Runtime and finally click on apply changes. You should then be good to go.

Lostincyberspace
January 9th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I got lost at I but I am very impatient.

CCNA_student
January 9th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Lost at I, you must have a longer attention span that that. Could you tell me if my instructions are good.