PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] how to upgrade Songbird?

jeyaganesh
January 9th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Hello, Today I have installed Songbird with the help Ayisu's forum thread. After installation it shows there is a update version. I downloaded that but dont know how to install it.
I tried -'extract here'-cd ......-./configure-make, but it didnt work. Please any one help me to upgrade this nice player?

Thanks in advance!
Jay

banjobacon
January 9th, 2008, 03:05 AM
You shouldn't have to compile anything, just run the file called Songbird.

Dale61
January 9th, 2008, 05:50 AM
You just need to go to 'Help', then 'check for updates'.

Just follow the prompts and it's done.

jeyaganesh
January 9th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Yes, I ran it directly from the extracted folder, it showed me the newest version. But under main menu (application-sound & video), it is still old version. Any trick to replace this new version?

Thanks for your reply!
Jay

jeyaganesh
January 10th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Hello, 'Perlluver' has posted new songbird 0.4 version in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=273162&highlight=songbird&page=25
If you like get new songbird from there.
Thanks!
Jay

ben2talk
January 18th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Ok, so Songbird 0.4 looks great, but now I have the folder on my desktop - can I just move it to the /opt/ folder and expect it to work there? Initially I moved it and overwrote the Songbird folder installed under /opt/automatix/ folder - but then it wouldn't run. I don't understand :(

I left the original app launcher intact and simply deleted the initial folder. Should I have done something else? I assumed the launcher would point to the new file which is in the same location as the old one... is this too simplistic?

puppy
January 18th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Pfft - still no support for mp3 players that act as mass-storage devices under Linux :(