PDA

View Full Version : KDE 4 Countdown

lzfy
January 8th, 2008, 01:34 AM
http://games.kde.org/new/counter/

Who else is excited about the great release which will happen in 3 Days :)

For those who doesn't know how it looks like.

A Polish site with a lot of screenshots of the latest svn (http://jarzebski.pl/)

A video showing the new KWin effects (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrFz7IxXppU)

http://jarzebski.pl/admin/store/fm_thumbs/fb96f719325797435292301946de07ff.jpg

jargs
January 8th, 2008, 01:40 AM
yes i'm looking forward to it too

Lostincyberspace
January 8th, 2008, 01:43 AM
No I am not looking forward to it, but I am looking forward to the release of amarok 2.0.

fedex1993
January 8th, 2008, 01:48 AM
kde4 is okay but i swear there going to ahve major problems at first but amarok 2.0 IS GOING TO BE SWEAT :)

Lostincyberspace
January 8th, 2008, 01:50 AM
That is what I have been thinking.

Polygon
January 8th, 2008, 02:16 AM
this first release is gonna be buggy as hell

ill be looking forward to the second or third releases so its a bit more stable.

proalan
January 8th, 2008, 02:24 AM
looking forward to trying it out, latest screenshots seem a bit corporate vista-ish.

Only critisim from the screenshots is the default panel still looks larger that it needs be.

'dream becomes reality' seems over-dramatic, anyone really dreams kde?

SunnyRabbiera
January 8th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Yeh I am not getting into kde4 till its ready.

Linuxratty
January 8th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Yeh I am not getting into kde4 till its ready.

The same for me...When a fork goes into it and it's done,then I'll get it.
I believe Chris is going to release it on a cutting edge version of Klikit this month if anyone wants to give it a fling.

jrusso2
January 8th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Is the snapshot the default theme cause it sure looks like Vista to me?

Andrewie
January 8th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I doubt any of you have even used Vista, I"m on vista now and they both have black task bars but that's where it ends. I think a few people need their eyes checked :lolflag:

icechen1
January 8th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I am looking forward to KDE 4.1,4.0 would have many bug anyway.

FuturePilot
January 8th, 2008, 03:47 AM
I'm looking forward to it. I hope they fixed a lot of the things in 3.5.x. I would like to use KDE but despite my best attempts on many occasions, it never works out. :(

Linuxratty
January 8th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Ive used KDE for over two years and it's worked out great for me.
What's been your problems with it?

SomeGuyDude
January 8th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I doubt any of you have even used Vista, I"m on vista now and they both have black task bars but that's where it ends. I think a few people need their eyes checked :lolflag:

Yeah, aside from the color of the taskbar and its placement there is ZERO similarity. It'd be like saying GNOME is like OSX because it has a gray taskbar up top.

Darkhack
January 8th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I know some people will defend their DE/WM of choice religiously to the death, but I honestly don't have a strong preference. I like both GNOME and KDE pretty equally and I also like XFCE as well as IceWM. I tried Fluxbox and I didn't really like it, but it wasn't horrible. I used GNOME in October when 7.10 was first released and then XFCE in November and IceWM for December. For January I'm using KDE 3.5 and I'm testing 4.0 RC2 every so often, but I don't consider it usable so I only spent a few minutes in it. I'm currently on KDE 3.5 and I'm really liking it. KDE was my very first DE on Linux when I first booted Knoppix (KDE 3.0). I had a boxed copy of Caldera Linux with KDE 2, but I never installed it because I was just a kid back then and all we had was a family computer and I knew my parents would get upset if I accidentally deleted Windows.

As of right now, I really like the technologies behind KDE 4. It's looking to be an amazing development platform. The only downside is that Qt is very expensive and developers are limited to the GPL unless they want to pay for the licensing fee. GTK+ is better in that sense because it is LGPL. Just for that reason alone I prefer it over Qt as the LGPL encourages more commercial development on Linux as well as lets people use non-GPL free software licenses.

exactopposite
January 8th, 2008, 05:46 AM
i'm looking forward to it myself. of course they are still getting things worked out, but i'll use it if it's stable. i think it has a bright future ahead of it, and it'll be fun to watch it grow. this is just the begining.

p_quarles
January 8th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to trying it, but I'm pretty happy with Fluxbox at the moment. I'm mainly looking forward to the next generation of KDE apps.

tikal26
January 8th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I have vista on my laptop and I don;t think taht it looks like it- I mean it has the panel in teh bottom, but even the way the panel works is different. I think everyone will agree that the latest sreenshots look alot more polish than a couple of moths ago. It seems that KDe now has a ´look´ I tihnk taht the comment that it has a corporate look its actually good meaning that it has that good impretion. Just from the screenshot it looks visually attractive not too flashy and not too boring. It looks like an apealing desktop ( I think that they ship without any icons on the desktop). The plasma icon on the toolbox is a nice final touch. rigth now plasma is mostly the shell where the plasmoids sit, but soon they will get the eye-candy things working. I think that they include dthe drag and drop from older video on, but I am not sure, but the best thing is to expirience it by using it.
Come on just give it a try there would be live ceds with it so it wont hurt any one.

The eye candy factor is great jsut look at the system monitor. Have you even seen a sexier system monitor?
For alot of Gnome user tehre would be things that are atractive

Dolphin- really is an improvement from the one in kde 3.5
Nepomuk- I think that it is only include in Dolphin and maybe strigi, but it is such a difference.
Kickoff- It is a really nice menu for today and the plasma team really plasmified it and polished it

Things that are coming along later that are realyl cool include:

Raptor- This things is going to kick every ones pants. If they get it working the way they plan it it is truly going to be what every one calls innovation. I am realyl excited for it.
Lancelot- Another menu that is closer to kickoff, but is really complete and nice. The cool thing about it is that the deveoper broke it up in parts and it can be embedde intot eh desktop so mixed with plasma´s containmets you can have a completly empty desktop and all you need avaialable with one or two keyboard clicks

There are tons of other things, but I am sure we will hear about them once the official realese hits the waves and they annouce plans for 4.1.

isaacj87
January 8th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I'm looking forward to it, even though KDE really isn't my thing. I miss the special clock that was in earlier screenshots (ya know, the flip clock). I figured the devs worked hard on this, I might as well try it out!

It's probably become my main DE after a couple releases...when they finally iron out the kinks...:)

Here's a picture of the clock (bottom right) that I was talking about:
http://liquidat.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/cleandesktop.png