PDA

View Full Version : Decompile so file and edit

Erik.
January 7th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I am now using ubuntu for almost 5 weeks and i like it very much

I now have a .so file on my computer that i need to decompile and then edit it and then compile it again.

I have downloaded the program and there are options in it that i don't use and i want to delete them...

Can someone help me whit some information about it

Erik

Wybiral
January 7th, 2008, 07:43 PM
First, see if it's open source! If it is, just recompile the object file yourself. If not, I would suggest a disassembler, but the last time a thread on reverse engineering popped up our friendly mods closed it. :)

nick_h
January 7th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Try to see what package it is in by using:

dpkg -S /path/filename.so
When you find the package download the source for it.

Erik.
January 7th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hi,

Thanks for posting

It says not found...

But i am sure the file is in the directory

I asked the one who made the file and i can edit it if i want so there is no problem i hope the do not close it :)

ghostdog74
January 8th, 2008, 05:08 AM
you may also want to try the "strings" command and see what you can see. No guarantee though.

strings <your.so file>

Erik.
January 8th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Hi,

Thats works, i get a big big list whit text
Do you now know how it is written or what can i do whit that text?
Is there still a way to decompile?

Erik

Majorix
January 8th, 2008, 08:19 PM
If not, I would suggest a disassembler, but the last time a thread on reverse engineering popped up our friendly mods closed it. :)

You are probably remembering my thread. Ah the days :D

If I were you, I wouldn't use proprietary software on Linux. And all OSS can be edited to your needs, according to GPL and similar licensing policies. Edit&compile :)

nick_h
January 8th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I asked the one who made the file and i can edit it if i want so there is no problem
Why don't you ask them for the source code?

Erik.
January 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I already asked the source code but he does not response i think he will not return to the forum i find the file.

I think it is an C file but i don't know

Is there a way to get information about the file and see what code it is and then decompile it?

Hope you can help me

Wybiral
January 17th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I already asked the source code but he does not response i think he will not return to the forum i find the file.

I think it is an C file but i don't know

Is there a way to get information about the file and see what code it is and then decompile it?

Hope you can help me

Have you ever tried to work on a project without any comments? What about a project with mangled labels? What about a project who's source has been optimized by a compiler?

There is no way to decompile something. Once it's compiled, the labels are lost, the structure is changed, and all you're left with is the assembly representation. There ARE decompilers, but they just give you C-ified assembly (which isn't going to help you much in terms of understanding the code). There are also disassemblers, which will reassemble the machine code into assembly, which is probably your best bet. But if you don't know assembly (very well, and how compilers optimize C code), you're basically out of luck until you can get the source from that guy.