PDA

View Full Version : For those of you having trouble with Flash and Firefox...

hotweiss
January 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM
When I tried Vector Linux last week, I tried Opera for the first time in Linux. And I have to say that it does perform better than Firefox. The best thing about it is that Flash sites don't bog down my computer! Plus, I haven't had one crash yet. If you guys are experiencing problems in Firefox, give Opera a try.

Perpetual
January 7th, 2008, 04:31 PM
When I tried Vector Linux last week, I tried Opera for the first time in Linux. And I have to say that it does perform better than Firefox. The best thing about it is that Flash sites don't bog down my computer! Plus, I haven't had one crash yet. If you guys are experiencing problems in Firefox, give Opera a try.

The problem I have always had with Opera on Windows and Linux is that it doesn't work with a lot of websites. Most importantly to me is that it does not work with Yahoo! Mail Beta. Lots of topics on the Opera forums regarding this and I know the argument about poor site coding but if I can't access mail the browser is useless. It doesn't work at my bank website either...

el_ricardo
January 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
opera constantly crashes on my laptop so i use firefox, but thats probably more to do with the fact that it has 256MB of RAM

hotweiss
January 8th, 2008, 04:35 AM
The problem I have always had with Opera on Windows and Linux is that it doesn't work with a lot of websites. Most importantly to me is that it does not work with Yahoo! Mail Beta. Lots of topics on the Opera forums regarding this and I know the argument about poor site coding but if I can't access mail the browser is useless. It doesn't work at my bank website either...

I'm using Opera 9.5 beta and yes, Yahoo Mail is screwy, but I receive my Yahoo mail through Gmail. Overall Opera performs better than Firefox for me.

Sef
January 8th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I'm using Opera 9.5 beta

Note to readers: To use java, you must use 9.5 beta. The stable version, 9.25, does not work with java.

hotweiss
January 9th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I spoke to soon, Opera is a little buggy. Opera really screws up the Flash integration, I see it with Youtube and my Wordpress blog stats. I just tried Firefox Beta 3 and it seems that Mozilla fixed their Flash bug. Back to Firefox I go.

misfitpierce
January 9th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Firefox owns Opera... :)

erfahren
January 9th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Note to readers: To use java, you must use 9.5 beta. The stable version, 9.25, does not work with java.
I think you meant flashplayer (specifically the new 9.0.115 version).

Flash 9, in general, is buggy in Opera 9.2x - the newest one doesn't work at all, the older one (9r48) is buggy and I'm sure is the cause of many crashes I had.

I got a current setup to where I use Flash 7 for Opera and 9 in Firefox - any site that requires Flash 9 I can just go to my toolbar and open it in Firefox. - seems to be working well considering it's a kind of a hacked workaround!