PDA

View Full Version : Beginner, what language?

ljsmithx
January 7th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I want to get into application development and programing because there are some apps that I would like to make better and some I want to create, but I know hardly anything to do with programing and such. So my question is what language should I use? What software do I need to use the language?

Heres what I have used before:
Applescript
VERY Simple use of Python
a bit of Java

LaRoza
January 7th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Read the stickies, see my wiki.

To start in Ubuntu, see my other wiki. (Link in my primary wiki)

ljsmithx
January 7th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Ok thanks! Using one of the links I now have a Hello World app! w00t! How do I add a GUI to it? So when you open it it has a dialog box that says Hello Wolrd?

Wybiral
January 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Ok thanks! Using one of the links I now have a Hello World app! w00t! How do I add a GUI to it? So when you open it it has a dialog box that says Hello Wolrd?

I would advise staying in the command line until you're comfortable with the language. It's the only way you'll be able to understand a complicated library such as a GUI library.

1. "Hello world"
2. Get to know the language
3. Get to know the libraries you plan to use

ljsmithx
January 7th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Ok then, what other tips should I know?

LaRoza
January 7th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Ok then, what other tips should I know?

* Don't language hop in the beginning, you won't find a "perfect" language and will learn nothing
* Read the documentation and API's
* Remember, it takes time

ljsmithx
January 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM
cool, what were some of your first apps? and how long did it take to make them?

ghostdog74
January 7th, 2008, 03:06 PM
you just started your first Hello world and you want to jump to GUI programming? I would say learn the basics first and forget about GUI for now. Check out the Python documentation site. ( I assume you are learning Python )

ljsmithx
January 7th, 2008, 03:11 PM
The hello world is written in C++

Wybiral
January 7th, 2008, 03:11 PM

After "Hello world!" you could try asking for the users name, then responding "Hello [name here]!". Then you could try asking for two numbers, adding them, then returning the result. Little tasks like that, building up until you're able to write a small application. But you probably wont be able to write a working application until you've gone over all of those little tasks.

Just experiment and get to know the language.

ljsmithx
January 7th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Ok then, thanks for your help guys!

School starts in a few weeks and I want to scare my I.T teacher lol

LaRoza
January 7th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Don't know who your are talking to, but I mostly do web programming, but I program in other languages for learning. My wiki has what I have studied.

See my post about my RPN calculator (it should still be on the Programming Talk page), that took me very little time, I started at night, while I was chatting on IM (don't do that by the way, it really messes with you thoughts) and finished it when I woke the next morning. I had to fix a bug that I solved in my dreams.

When I first started, I wouldn't have been able to do such a simple script.

pmasiar
January 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
wiki in my sig has links to training tasks (and many good online books good for beginner).

After basic syntax, you need to learn data structures, and debugging methods.

juaka
January 7th, 2008, 04:24 PM

You would like to use Glade for designing guis.

Open Add/Remove programs, search glade.

You can also load glade guis from c, java, python, etc...

More info http://glade.gnome.org/

Acglaphotis
January 7th, 2008, 04:32 PM
GUI = PITA. Try it later, but not as a beginner.