PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Finland?

Akkeasd
January 7th, 2008, 11:38 AM
If this thread is violating some rules, I'm sorry. :oops:

But, suomalaiset ilmoittautukaa! :D

And, what you guys think of us finnish people? :-k

bomanizer
January 7th, 2008, 12:08 PM
One here. I think a genera rule to avoid native languages and/or using other language than that of the forum's language is generally in place.

(OT: Also, sometimes i feel like my grammar mistakes make up a new language.)

mips
January 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM
There is no Finish forum here but they do have a LoCoTeam, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList

This thread would have probably been ok in the cafe, not so much a backyard thing.

bapoumba
January 7th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Moved to Cafe.
Please remember these forums are international, and in order not to exclude anyone from the discussions, posts should be written in English :)

Bachstelze
January 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Moved to Cafe.
Please remember these forums are international, and in order not to exclude anyone from the discussions, posts should be written in English :)

Näin on !

(Google is your friend)

bapoumba
January 7th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Näin on !

(Google is your friend)

Ezkimo ?

M7S
January 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Another Finn here! The Swedish speaking kind (just like Torvalds), bur a Finn none the less. I'm a bit surprised over how few Finns you see at this forum considering how often you see Finnish names amongst developers in various opensource projects. It might perhaps be the language barrier. The Finnish Ubuntu forum (http://http://forum.ubuntu-fi.org/) has 6500 members.

Nevon
January 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm not Finnish, but I'm Swedish, so we do (some of us) share a common language.
Not a whole lot of Linux users here either. I've managed to track down one LUG, but it doesn't seem to be active anymore.

Kingsley
January 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Ezkimo ?
I looked up the lyrics... LOL @ bootysheikkii
Now I know a Finnish word besides Suomi and Läski.

plun
January 7th, 2008, 06:10 PM
It might perhaps be the language barrier.

Hallelujah Soumi.... :) You broke the barrier with
Hallelujah and Nokia...

Real rock for the US audience...:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdItwaLrv1U

:guitar:

Laterix
January 7th, 2008, 06:11 PM
one finnish developer here... There is a reason why finnish people contribute so much to open source. The weather sucks and we have nothing better to do. :)

ReiKn
January 7th, 2008, 07:18 PM
There is no Finish forum here but they do have a LoCoTeam, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList

This thread would have probably been ok in the cafe, not so much a backyard thing.

If some of us Finnish don't yet know, there is a Finnish ubuntu forum at http://forum.ubuntu-fi.org/. There's even a small section for those among us who prefer swedish :)

Tmi
January 7th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I'm a swede with Finnish blood in my veins.

iPower
January 7th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Here!

i live in Sweden (blame my parents :) )

ynnhoj
January 8th, 2008, 12:30 AM
my background is ~half finnish, but i'm a second generation canadian whose never been to finland. i'll fly over there some day!

Akkeasd
January 8th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I know that finnish ubuntu forum, but when I asked there something, everybody was like: "lool, u are noob, go **** yourself "

I hated it. :|

I like more this "english ubuntu forum" :)

bomanizer
January 8th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I know that finnish ubuntu forum, but when I asked there something, everybody was like: "lool, u are noob, go **** yourself "

I find that hard to believe. I'm not questioning your word for it, but a link to the conversation would be interesting to see....

bufsabre666
January 8th, 2008, 10:47 AM
well im american, and my great grandfather is swedish, but he lived in finland before emigrating, so i guess im finnish in some extent but im not from there

Akkeasd
January 8th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I find that hard to believe. I'm not questioning your word for it, but a link to the conversation would be interesting to see....

Well, they didn't exactly said like that. :oops:

But they wasn't very kind, they were joking with my problem and I waited quite long time to get the answer. :oops:

anaconda
January 8th, 2008, 11:44 AM
here is one more..

bomanizer
January 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Well, they didn't exactly said like that. :oops:

But they wasn't very kind, they were joking with my problem and I waited quite long time to get the answer. :oops:

Ok, now I understand. Kinda rude...the first part, anyway. Waiting a long time for answears is nobody's fault, this isn't exactly paid support ;)

NovaAesa
January 8th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Hehe Finnish people are cool. I sometimes spell 'finish' wrong and end up with 'Finnish', which I find confusing :S Just something random. (Feeling in a random mood).

itsjustarumour
January 13th, 2008, 06:06 AM
If this thread is violating some rules, I'm sorry. :oops:

But, suomalaiset ilmoittautukaa! :D

Hei! Mitä kuuluu?

My dual-nationality papers just came through, so now I'm a Finn too, lol :guitar:

Just got to work on the pesky language now.... ;-)

PS - I think there are actually quite a lot of Finns "hiding" on this forum!

itsjustarumour
January 13th, 2008, 06:11 AM
one finnish developer here... There is a reason why finnish people contribute so much to open source. The weather sucks and we have nothing better to do. :)

Laterix, thats so true! :lolflag:

davtaine
January 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM
PS - I think there are actually quite a lot of Finns "hiding" on this forum!

Im not "hiding" anymore :)

blueturtl
January 13th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Some might have guessed by my avatar...

YourSurrogateGod
January 13th, 2008, 02:29 PM

You're all a bunch of alcoholics :p . At least those were the Finns that I met while doing my study abroad :) . Fun bunch, really like to interact with others.

The Swedes and Norwegians that I met also drank like fish :) .

YourSurrogateGod
January 13th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Hehe Finnish people are cool. I sometimes spell 'finish' wrong and end up with 'Finnish', which I find confusing :S Just something random. (Feeling in a random mood).

I get that confused too.

itsjustarumour
January 13th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Perhaps we could start up a new thread for all those Finns sat in a mökki trying to get their wireless to connect to a neighbouring house, whilst listening to "Poets Of The Fall" :lolflag:

viherpeukalo
January 13th, 2008, 08:02 PM
blah blah blah im finnish

logos34
January 13th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Well, I WISH I was from Finland! I know that doesn't count though.

I think I like you folks!

Originally Posted by Laterix
There is a reason why finnish people contribute so much to open source. The weather sucks and we have nothing better to do.

Nothing better to do....than party and drink like fish! :)

Kidding aside, you people complain like the Brits do about no sun...But you have all that beautiful snow, don't you get out and enjoy your winter sports? The Norwegians are fanatics about skiing. Aren't Finns nature-lovers? Look guys, if you think it's depressing in gloomy, frozen Finland during the winter, just try living in a hot, humid climate like the southern U.S. It's been freakin 70 degrees Fahreneheit down there last two months! Spoiled the holiday season. And you don't want to be stuck there in the summers.

I'm an indoor creature most of the time, but I also love snow and nature, so I think I'd love Finland or any of the Scandanavian countries (ah, Norway!). Even cold dreary weather has it's own melancholic charm--you can always bundle up with a hot cup of tea (or vodka in your case :) haha) and listen to music, watch a dvd, or read a book. Or gab on the ubuntuforum!

iPower
January 14th, 2008, 01:10 AM
mitä nyt tehdään?

YourSurrogateGod
January 14th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Finnish chicks wear too much clothing, I think it's because of the weather :-k .

iPower
January 21st, 2008, 06:40 PM
Finnish chicks wear too much clothing, I think it's because of the weather :-k .

wait for the summer ^_^

oldb0y
January 21st, 2008, 07:55 PM

We have that problem in Norway too...

iPower
January 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM
We have that problem in Norway too...

Finnish chicks have to mutch clothes in norway ? :D

oldb0y
January 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM
Lol! Maybe...
Well, at least it's not that hard to get them off, once you get going;)

bomanizer
January 29th, 2008, 12:57 PM
You're all a bunch of alcoholics :p .

I think that one dialog in "Men behaving badly" pretty much sums it up, let me see if I can remember it correctly:

- We Brits sure do drink alot

- No, I think Finns drink more...

- Yeah, but they don't count.

LOL :mrgreen:

LitusMayol
January 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I'm proud of been Catalan. But i really like Finland, it's history, it's politics, and it's metal. I listen to Children of Bodom, Korpiklaani, Wintersun, Ensiferum... love them all!