PDA

View Full Version : Aspire 4310 rant

black3ug
January 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Just wanted to share this e-mail I sent to ACER over their Aspire 4310 laptop after I wasted a whole day trying to install Windows XP on it.

You have a great product here except for one little fact:

IT PREFERS WINDOWS VISTA!!!

I have spent the good part of a day trying to install WINDOWS XP on one of your products. I had thought that there was something wrong with this uber-expensive licensed WINDOWS XP I was using for the installation until I went online and read how much of a sell out ACER has become for brain dead WINDOWS VISTA:

http://www.acer.com.ph/faq.php#f09

While a lot of non-techies love the "eye candy" of WINDOWS VISTA, could you not consider the more tech-intelligent fraction of your market? We do NOT like VISTA. If I want an OS, I want it to be something that works flawlessly and easily without annoying me with a lot of pop-ups and nonsensical "eye candy".

Admittedly, WINDOWS XP is not that much of a choice over VISTA either. But, at least it has had several years to grow up, unlike VISTA which, had it come from any other software company except Microsoft, it would still be considered a BETA.

I would like to express a small thanks for the tiny, miniscule bit of help that your company offered for my WINDOWS XP installation woes:

http://www.acer.com.ph/faq.php#f09

I have a couple of questions about your "helping hand", though.

1. Did you know that 99% of people who would buy a laptop do not consider an integrated floppy drive to be necessary because FLOPPY DISKS ARE NO LONGER NECESSARY in the world of flash drives and CD/DVD-ROMS?
2. While it may be a limitation of the WINDOWS XP installer, could you not, out of good conscience, do a little more research and PROVIDE FOR A BETTER ANSWER to this problem? Apparently this guy found a cute solution.

http://komku.blogspot.com/2007/08/install-windows-xp-on-acer-aspire-4710.html

Your tech people ought to have some cute ideas of their own, right?

FYI, I finally installed UBUNTU on this darned laptop. Please remember that name: UBUNTU, just in case some of your customers want to find a more intelligent alternative to brain dead WINDOWS VISTA that you are pushing.

Let me also tell you that it would also be a great move on the part of your company if you started to move towards supporting UBUNTU and other LINUX distributions where OS vendors do not abandon a maturing OS (WINDOWS XP) for a brain dead one (WINDOWS VISTA).

Thank you for releasing your cool product. However, no thanks for making it VISTA worthy which makes it, in my eyes, so unworthy. I am not putting down your company but I would like to encourage you to make better decisions so that when I tell my friends that ACER laptops are good for the money, I actually have something to back up what I say. Unlike right now when I am totally embarrassed over this WINDOWS VISTA *** kissing laptop, ACER ASPIRE 4310.

note to self
1. AVOID laptops labeled with VISTA-ready :lolflag:
2. UBUNTU directly, even if your friend asks for WinXP :guitar:
3. GO online immediately for problems and blame your tools AFTER checking the laptop.:)

Jhongy
January 7th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I had similar problems installing XP onto a SATA disk (nForce2 motherboard) -- WinXP needs a floppy present during the installation process.

the ideal situation here is to realise what a joke Windows is (and always has been) and leave it in the dust.

However, if you insist on Windows, then there is a solution --- hunt down nLite, install it (oin a working Windows machine). Download the relevant SATA drivers from the chipmakers website, and use nLite to slipstream them into your Windows install. Then burn the resulting creation to a new CD. Then, it should "Just Work" when installing without the need for a floppy.

However -- do take a moment to realise how silly this all is and consider switching to an OS that has all the necessary drivers already in the kernel.

J

curuxz
January 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I just got an acer 7720 and got rid of that crap pile of vista strait away for an XP (games) / kubuntu mix.

Kubuntu installed flawlessly (minus a few sound issues that a simple sh script fixed) but xp sadly was another story.

At first the install would not reconise the hard drive (this maybe the problem your talking about duno) but a quick change in the bios to IDE mode on the sata array and all is well, one problem... I cant find bloody drivers for it but i have manged to find a few.

Acer make great, cheap, nice looking machines but stop putting VISTA on it, no one wants it!!! GRRRRRR

mips
January 7th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Acer make great, cheap, nice looking machines but stop putting VISTA on it, no one wants it!!! GRRRRRR

The only part I would agree with is cheap ;)